Re: [linuxham] Odd behavior with IC-7200

  • Harry Bloomberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      Never seen anything exactly like this...could this be RFI?  Also, check your power cord...I had a bad power cord that gave me reduced power for quite a while until I replaced it.

      73,
      Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
      hbloomb@...

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

      Wonder if anyone else has seen this.

      I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
      I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
      of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.

      I brought this up on the IC-7200 list, and someone else said he
      had seen a similar pattern running JT-65. Said that he was
      running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. Said that he unplugged
      and replugged the USB cable and that stopped it. Also that he
      updated the Windows driver for the sound chips in the IC-7200
      and it seemed to be stable after that.

      At this point it's a matter of collecting observations and trying
      things.

    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Harry Bloomberg <hbloomb@...> wrote:

        > Never seen anything exactly like this...could this be RFI? Also, check
        > your power cord...I had a bad power cord that gave me reduced power for
        > quite a while until I replaced it.

        I've just tested and found it happening on four different bands,
        so it's unlikely to be caused by RFI in the cables. And I can't
        see it being in the power cord when the output is going up and
        down over and over.
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
          On 02/18/2013 11:06 AM, jhhaynes@... wrote:
          > Wonder if anyone else has seen this.
          >
          > I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
          > I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
          > of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.
          >
          > I brought this up on the IC-7200 list, and someone else said he
          > had seen a similar pattern running JT-65. Said that he was
          > running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. Said that he unplugged
          > and replugged the USB cable and that stopped it. Also that he
          > updated the Windows driver for the sound chips in the IC-7200
          > and it seemed to be stable after that.
          >
          > At this point it's a matter of collecting observations and trying
          > things.
          Check all of the 7200's audio settings and make sure that all of the
          voice settings are OFF.

          Dave
        • jhaynesatalumni
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013

            > Check all of the 7200's audio settings and make sure that all of the
            > voice settings are OFF.

            Well it's a complicated radio, but I think I have everything turned
            off relating to speech.

            I just did a test using various modes - the effect is most pronounced
            in psk31, DomX MFSK thor rtty and throb don't show the variation
            at all. CW and contestia and olivia has small variations but
            nothing like what I see in PSK. CW and Feld Hell show some
            variation. In PSK at speeds other than 31 there is less of the
            effect visible. This is where having sound built into the radio
            is a disadvantage, because the signal doesn't come out anywhere
            that I can look at it. But then having sound built into the radio
            is the reason for the IC-7200.

            I have the input turned down low enough to keep it out of ALC
            in all modes.
          • jhaynesatalumni
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
              Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
              and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
              PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
              much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.
            • Dave Wright
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
                I wonder if you have insufficient audio drive level coming out of the computer.

                Dave
                K3DCW

                --
                Dave Wright
                K3DCW

                "Real radio bounces off the sky"

                On Monday, February 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

                Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
                and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
                PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
                much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

              • Brian Morrison
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                  On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:42:21 -0000
                  jhhaynes@... wrote:

                  > Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
                  > and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
                  > PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
                  > much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

                  That sounds like a 2 tone test with a very small frequency difference
                  causing a low beat frequency between the two tones. If each radio is
                  trying to transmit its own tone at a different level and with a
                  slightly different frequency due to oscillator tolerances then it could
                  explain what you're seeing.

                  --

                  Brian Morrison
                • mike.k0ter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, jhhaynes@... wrote:

                    > Wonder if anyone else has seen this.
                    >
                    > I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
                    > I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
                    > of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.

                    Are you using the internal sound card or an external
                    sound card? If internal and if you built your
                    own cable and if you paralleled the right and left
                    channel output to the radio, make sure you do not
                    have right channel PTT enabled in the rig control
                    section. This is a lot of ifs but I did have it
                    happen to me. It's easy to see on a monitor scope
                    what is going on.

                    Probably not a solution but worth a look see.

                    73, Mike, K0TER
                  • jhaynesatalumni
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                      Further testing seems to show that the power output from the radio
                      as indicated by its own indicator is fairly constant, while that
                      indicated by flrig is oscillating between the set output level and
                      a very low level. It doesn't depend on port audio versus pulse
                      audio. It doesn't depend on using flrig for rig control - I tried
                      switching to RigCAT, and with flrig running it shows the power
                      level oscillation.

                      Also tried it with MultiPSK as the digital program, using the PTT
                      button on flrig to get it to transmit - same results.

                      Switched the baud rate from 19.2K to 9.6K and the oscillation is
                      still there but the depth of the oscillation is greatly diminished.
                      Changing to 4.8K doesn't appear much different from 9.6K

                      Conclusion - there's something funny about the way the radio reports
                      power related to the COM port speed. For now, 9600 baud is
                      preferable to 19.2K