Re: how does linux help in becoming a ham?

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18 7:05 AM
      Thanks for the tip! I've had zero problems with this laptop since I put Linux on it late spring of 2011. Actually, I put Linux on it first, then resized the drive and put XP on it but I boot to Linux most of the time. XP is on it as I was using some other windows based programs.

      The laptop was given to me. Was being tossed out. Its perfect for what I use it for --exclusively ham radio.

      Back to the thread, I don't think Linux helps that much in becoming a ham but if a ham is learning Linux or using it that probably shows a ham with more expertise than a ham who doesn't dare venture into another OS. Probably...but not necessarily.
      KT4EP
      cu on the air
    • Dave Rickmers
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19 10:05 AM
        If you enjoy "playing" with computers you have to use something that
        doesn't ask for money every time you turn around, or worse, an OS that
        doesn't let you bang around under the hood at all. Your enjoyment suffers..

        Besides, Linux is a superior operating system (family) to Windows or
        Mac. I don't think it makes much of a quantifiable difference in a ham's
        development; other than the cash savings.

        My psk31 machine is one of those WalMart special C7 desktop boxes
        (Everex 2500) with a mini ITX MB. It makes an Atom look fast. It is
        running Puppy Linux and fldigi. It runs my K3 through a serial cable and
        a couple of Hosa 3.5mm TRS patch cords. It runs continuously (I blow the
        dust out when the fan starts whining, about 1 time a year). It never
        hiccups. YMMV.

        dave kd6il
      • Andy
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 19 7:42 PM
          HI all,

          In my case, I'd have to say "how *did* Linux help in becoming a ham?".

          About 6 years ago, I was teaching a Linux class as part of the town's Adult Education program. I had two students who I had never previously met, and it turned out that they were hams. They started talking to me about digital modes and EMCOMM, and made the sales pitch, referencing Linux and Fldigi. I got my ticket a couple of months later, and have enjoyed the hobby immensely. Many thanks to KB1KTR and N1JWK!

          73,

          Andy
          KB1OIQ