Re: [linuxham] bios problem help? OT?

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
      jerome wrote:
      > I would dearly love to install the new Digipup on a usb drive. Going
      > back in the archives of this group, it seems it can be done.
      >
      > But first, I thought I'd better try and solve a niggling bios problem
      > that might be in the way of booting from such a drive.
      >
      > Here's my setup:
      > Asus mobo: p5gd1-vm; bios: ami ver.1402 11/18/2005 (latest)
      > p4-3 Ghz cpu; 500 megs of ram.
      > two 160 gig SATA drives (one with xp-pro, the other with suse-10.0).
      >
      > Here's my problem: There are two bios IDE configurations: Enhanced
      > mode and Compatibility mode. For either, there are three choices of
      > native mode drive setup (i.e. PATA, SATA and Primary P-ATA+S-AT in
      > Compatible mode; or PATA, SATA, and S-ATA+P-ATA in Enhanced mode. Add
      > to that I can specify which HD is drive one and which is drive two
      > and you have ....mmmm 12 combinations?

      I see that motherboard has but one EIDE connector (two devices) on the
      mainboard, with another (two devices) on a second controller connector.
      This isn't the usual EIDE 0 and 1 setup on the same controller (4
      devices on two connectors.) Are both kernel modules getting loaded for
      both EIDE controllers?

      I also see you have 4 SATA connectors on the board.

      What I've done in the past on Intel hardware was to put the DVD recorder
      on the EIDE controller, and set the SATA controller to EIDE emulation
      mode, making sure not to use the next to useless software raid if there
      is any.

      I've never had any issues booting between several Linux distros and XP
      so far. Maybe someone else will have better ideas for your particular
      hardware.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • romers romansky
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
        Hi Rick... your post gave me a few ideas. I opened the
        machine -- indeed there are two EIDE connectors on the
        MOBO, but they go to the same controller. Only one
        controller of the two are being used. So, I don't
        think that's an issue. The board layout gives each
        connector the same number.

        Snooping around the BIOS, I find in Enhanced mode,
        both drives are seen by the bios, so I made the
        windows drive a slave of the linux drive and the
        system booted linux ok.

        The linux disk is sda and now fdisk reports a sdb1
        present with an ntfs file system, sdb2 with an win95
        extended partition and sdb5 with a FAT32 partition.

        This is as much progress as I've made in a long time
        playing with the problem.

        OK, that said, doing a 'mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /ntfs'
        doesn't' work. It reports the usual probable errors:
        wrong file system, bad super block, etc. Then I tried
        to mount sdb5 and that worked. So now I'm wondering if
        the kernel has NTFS support engaged?????

        Dmesg shows that the system tried to mount the ntfs
        drive but couldn't.

        I've made custom kernels in Slackware, but never in
        suse, so I don't know what tools are available to look
        and see if the NTFS support is there or not. Suse just
        worked for me except for this, so I never paid much
        attention to it as a distro.

        Any ideas?
        jerome - va7vv