Re: Virtualbox, anyone help?

  • Thomas J Strike Jr
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
      After seeing your thread and commenting on it, I decided to fix my own
      issues with VB after an upgrade to 4.1.12. When I let Ubuntu upgrade it,
      my Ubuntu 11.02, XP, and Vista virtual machines still worked but my
      Windows-7 virtual machine would lock up on boot. I fixed that by just
      creating a new virtual machine using the same virtual boot drive. I will
      not upgrade again until I am forced to. I don't have time to straighten
      out the potential messes that Ubuntu upgrades can cause.

      I did a little gathering of knowledge for you. I think that the
      following is what you need.

      The following link takes you to a table of requirements and issues of
      all the OSes being used as Guest.
      https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

      The following link is a White Paper on how to alternatively share
      between Guest and host through the virtual local network.
      https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_on_OSE

      The following is excerpts out of VirtualBox User Manual, page 56.
      You can download the manual at:
      https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads#manual
      "Guest Additions are designed to be installed inside a virtual machine
      after the guest operating system has been installed. They consist of
      device drivers and system applications that optimize the guest operating
      system for better performance and usability."
      "The VirtualBox Guest Additions for all supported guest operating
      systems are provided as a single CD-ROM image file which is called
      VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This image file is located in the installation
      directory of VirtualBox. To install the Guest Additions for a particular
      VM, you mount this ISO file in your VM as a virtual CD-ROM and install
      from there."
      I hope this is some help.

      Tom S.
      wb6ddd