yahoo spam

  • Richard Dowty
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
      I just want to let everyone know. I just changed my password. Just in case or for the fun of it.
      Rich/W7EET
    • Brian Lloyd
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
        I am surprised that this hasn't spawned a wholesale migration from yahoo and hotmail to gmail.

        --
        Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
        3191 Western Dr.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
          With Google's well-earned bad reputation for privacy-invasion
          many people refuse to use their E-mail service.

          Surely there are alternatives to Yahoo, Hotmail (Microsoft),
          and Gmail (Google).

          > Brian Lloyd wrote: I am surprised that this hasn't spawned a
          > wholesale migration from yahoo and hotmail to gmail.

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
          David Colburn nevils-station.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
            On 01/30/2013 01:51 PM, qrv@... wrote:
            > With Google's well-earned bad reputation for privacy-invasion
            > many people refuse to use their E-mail service.
            >
            > Surely there are alternatives to Yahoo, Hotmail (Microsoft),
            > and Gmail (Google).
            Most ISP's provide imap mail service as well as pop mail service.

            Dave
          • Dave - G8FXM
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013

              Many rebrand/whitelabel Gmail. Sky have recently decided to nice away from Gmail and are planning to move to Yahoo! Not a popular decision.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                > Most ISP's provide imap mail service as well as pop mail service.
                >
                > Dave

                Except good old reliable Comcast (unless it rains). Wish I had access to
                another ISP, no luck.

                Ed W3NR
              • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                  2013/1/30 Dave - G8FXM <g8fxm@...>
                   Many rebrand/whitelabel Gmail. Sky have recently decided to nice away from Gmail and are planning to move to Yahoo! Not a popular decision

                  From the frying pan to the fire.

                  --
                  +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
                  |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                    Even better to get your own domain name. Then you can change internet providers easily, and without any fuss. It's much easier to have your own domain name these days than you might think.

                    Dave Nathanson
                    KG6ZJO

                    On Jan 30, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Ed wrote:

                    > On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, w1hkj wrote:
                    >
                    >> Most ISP's provide imap mail service as well as pop mail service.
                    >>
                    >> Dave
                    >>
                    > Except good old reliable Comcast (unless it rains). Wish I had access to
                    > another ISP, no luck.
                    >
                    > Ed W3NR
                  • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                      Although I use AOL mail now.. when I was relying on email for my last job, for $5/month I found the services of Redpin mail excellent and 100% reliable.

                      http://www.redpin.com/email.html

                      73

                      Sholto
                      K7TMG

                      On 01/30/2013 01:15 PM, IZ1TGH Roberto Waha wrote:
                      2013/1/30 Dave - G8FXM <g8fxm@...>
                       Many rebrand/whitelabel Gmail. Sky have recently decided to nice away from Gmail and are planning to move to Yahoo! Not a popular decision

                      From the frying pan to the fire.

                      --
                      +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
                      |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
                      |       Ell m'ha estat la salvació. En Ell confío i no tinc por.      |

                    • Maynard Wright
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013

                        On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:38:35 pm Ed wrote:

                        > On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                        > > Most ISP's provide imap mail service as well as pop mail service.

                        > > Dave

                        > Except good old reliable Comcast (unless it rains). Wish I had access to

                        > another ISP, no luck.

                        > Ed W3NR

                        I use Eskimo North (www.eskimo.com) and have been very happy with them. They are Linux friendly.

                        73,

                        Maynard

                        W6PAP

                      • Creede Lambard
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                          It's not just the domain name. I have my own domain name and a bunch of servers won't let me send mail to them because they look at the IP address and see that it ultimately resolves to a comcast address, never mind that it also responds to penguinsinthenight.com

                          73, Creede WA7KPK

                          On 01/30/2013 01:20 PM, Dave Nathanson wrote:

                          Even better to get your own domain name. Then you can change internet providers easily, and without any fuss. It's much easier to have your own domain name these days than you might think.

                          Dave Nathanson
                          KG6ZJO

                          On Jan 30, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Ed wrote:

                          > On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, w1hkj wrote:
                          >
                          >> Most ISP's provide imap mail service as well as pop mail service.
                          >>
                          >> Dave
                          >>
                          > Except good old reliable Comcast (unless it rains). Wish I had access to
                          > another ISP, no luck.
                          >
                          > Ed W3NR

                        • kg6zjo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013

                            Yeah, I went through that for a long time. I was running my mail server on my home DSL line for 8 years. At first it was fun. Then everybody started clamping down on spam by rejecting email from servers linked to "residential IP numbers". Even though my IP was a static IP number (at considerable extra cost) they didn't care. Once again punishing the guys that didn't do it.

                            I had reverse DNS resolving correctly, a long good record of not sending any spam, and I was able to get my (static) IP number white-listed as a valid email server by a bunch of major ISP's so they would stop rejecting my mail, but even so, it got a lot worse after a while. What a hassle. So I eventually moved my mail services out of my garage & to a professional web/email host. I sort of miss it, the maintenance wasn't much, and I had a lot more control. I was running CGP on a old Mac G4 OSX 10.3.9 and it NEVER crashed. Not even once in 8 years. Well except when a power supply fried. What a great machine, I felt bad to strip it of its duties after it did such a great job for so many years and was still ready to work.

                            Now my mail is under a hosting account at DreamHost.com
                            http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?250640/hosting.html

                            I've been with DreamHost since 2008 & they have a good record in my book. Cheap & Good, with unlimited server space plus 50 gigs (for your backups). Debian Linux, and yes, you can have a shell account!

                            Lots of 1-click installs make it reaaaly easy to install WordPress, phpBB, and many other fun server things. MySQL & phpMyAdmin are already installed. Unlimited email accounts, Unlimited databases. Your choice of Shell, FTP and/or SFTP accounts. Debian Linux based. Custom control Panel is useful. 99.9% guaranteed uptime. Helpful & smart tech support has taught me a lot. I have about 50 domains & a couple of hundred email accounts (mostly friends, some clients too) in my DH account, and it all works just fine. Still only $9/mo (I pay every 2 years to get the best deal). I'm happy with them. :-)

                            Here is a Dreamhost Coupon code that will give you $10 off now, plus 1 additional free LIFETIME domain registration. (So probably you get 2!). So that's a savings of about $11 a year for life, and one less thing to deal with.
                            MACMEDIXFREEDOM
                            What else is included? Tons! Check it out.
                            http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html   (then click on "Compare Hosting Products" to see what they offer).

                            Eeech, sorry if I sound like a commercial.

                            The one caution I will offer is that if you start really taking advantage of all they offer, as I am, you'll soon realize that you're getting such a great deal on so much good stuff it would be a major pain to move, and you probably never will.

                            Well, anyway that's how I solved the rejected email problem.  YMMV.

                            Best,
                             Dave Nathanson
                             KG6ZJo

                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Creede Lambard wrote:

                            > It's not just the domain name. I have my own domain name and a bunch of
                            > servers won't let me send mail to them because they look at the IP
                            > address and see that it ultimately resolves to a comcast address, never
                            > mind that it also responds to penguinsinthenight.com
                            >
                            > 73, Creede WA7KPK
                            >
                            > On 01/30/2013 01:20 PM, Dave Nathanson wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Even better to get your own domain name. Then you can change internet
                            > > providers easily, and without any fuss. It's much easier to have your
                            > > own domain name these days than you might think.
                            > >
                            > > Dave Nathanson
                            > > KG6ZJO

                            > > > Except good old reliable Comcast (unless it rains). Wish I had
                            > > access to
                            > > > another ISP, no luck.
                            > > >
                            > > > Ed W3NR

                          • Steven Read
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 31, 2013
                              We used to have InsightBB but several years back they redrew the boundaries and we were moved into Comcast territory. I would love to have InsightBB again. :-(

                              Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
                              Dublin, IN