fldigi-2.04 and EMCpup-2.17.2.04.iso posted

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
      Additional functions and some minor bug fixes for fldigi:

      • added full waterfall video text as well as video mode identification.  Uses FeldHell Modern-8-14 font.  1, 2, 3 or 4 characters per video line.  Can be invoked via a macro tag.
      • added option to insert CW identifier (DE <MYCALL>) at end of transmission.  Can be invoked via a macro tag.
      • bug fix for center mouse button toggle of AFC.
      73, Dave, W1HKJ

    • Arnaldo Coro
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
        Dear amigo Dave the"father" of FLDIGI:
        In the first place thank you very much for making available to the worldwide amateur radio community your FLDIGI software for operating digital modes.
        It is a very nice gesture, in true ham spirit !!!
        I am using FLDIGI on a home assembled - with great effort and difficulties-
        computer that uses a recycled 1994 motherboard by ASUS, but that
        somehow I have managed to make it work better by repairing damaged
        memory sticks, so it now has 192 megabytes of RAM memory of the PC100 type.( yes they sometimes can be revived !!! )
        The machine is running at 333 mHz or 233 mHz ( I am not really sure of the CPU speed, and the CPU is a Celeron " Mendocino"
        The machine has a 4,3 gigabytes hard drive, and I installed Puppy Linux 2.16 to it some time ago, so it boots from the hard drive.
        I then added the FLDIGI to the hard drive, but the FLDIGI doesn't work OK, as it constantly is vanishing from the computer screen, and I have to go back and
        open it again.
        BUT, I downloaded the "packaged" with PUPPY LINUX .iso image, burned it to a good quality CD disc and the FLDIGI seems to work much better when running from the " Live CD ", although eventually in the middle of a QSO using BPSK31  is will do the same funny
        vanishing... When I reopen the program, the station is right there... and copy begins on the screen OK !!!
        The monitor I am using is a Phillips-Magnavox black and white VGA 640 X 480 that is working OK with Puppy Linux when you  set up for the 640 X 480 x 16 setting ...
        Yes, I understand that this is a very limited setup, but it is what I have been able to assemble here, and so far FLDIGI is the only program besides a version of DIGIPAN stripped of many things that works on this machine, and of course that to work using DIGIPAN means having to use WINDOWS98 , and definetely I don't want to use any Microsoft programs on my machine.
        I am writing to you so that maybe you provide advice on how to make FLDIGI to work on this machine properly, or maybe,because you have the source code and this is free and open source software FOSS, you could take some time and produce , with your great know-how of programming that is obvious from what one can see- a "VERSION OF FLDIGI" that will be much lighter and easier on the machine... maybe strip it off some features that may be nice to have but not essential.
        When I go ont the air on BPSK31 USB on 40 meters during my local evenings I receive a lot of calls, make many QSO's but have to keep re-opening the program constantly. The problem is annoying, but the fact is that many stations want to make a CO2 contact using digital modes, and also ( please apologize for this, but is absolutely true ) because of the fact that I have been hosting Dxers Unlimited , the Radio Havana Cuba radio hobby program for more than 20 years, many radio amateurs want to meet me on the air and get a QSL card from CO2KK.
        It is interesting to see that a lot of those stations to which I contact using FLDIGI are immediately interested in LINUX and FLDIGI, so in a sense this is helping FOSS to further develop.
        Your comments and help will be most appreciated and again, please receive my congratulations for your dedicated work in favor of the development of the amateur radio hobby .
        Yours truly
        Arnie Coro
        radio amateur CO2KK

        w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
        Additional functions and some minor bug fixes for fldigi:

        • added full waterfall video text as well as video mode identification.  Uses FeldHell Modern-8-14 font.  1, 2, 3 or 4 characters per video line.  Can be invoked via a macro tag.
        • added option to insert CW identifier (DE <MYCALL>) at end of transmission.  Can be invoked via a macro tag.
        • bug fix for center mouse button toggle of AFC.
        73, Dave, W1HKJ

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
          Hi Arnie.

          This is strictly a guess on my part as I am not a part of the
          development team.

          I have noticed that when playing with the Puppy Linux with Fldigi
          program that Fldigi will not open until the sound card is configured.
          I wonder if something like the sound driver is getting behind and
          Fldigi is closing as a result.

          Another idea I can think of may be that Fldigi isn't getting enough
          time from the CPU. Perhaps trying a more aggressive nice(1) setting
          will help? The nice value range goes from -20 (most CPU time) to 19
          (least CPU time) according to the man page and defaults to 10.

          Hope that helps.

          73, de Nate >>

          --
          Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
          Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
            Hi Nate:
            I will try your suggestion.
            Earlier this evening I was calling CQ BPSK31 with FLDIGI on 7070.0 but no digital stations coming down the waterfall. Seems like the Sweepstakes contest is making the band very crowded.
            Also will try to read the manual of the FLDIGI with my notebook at hand, in order to take notes about the most relevant things, and don't leave that to
            brain memory storage  HI HI.
            The fact that the machine used is very slow by today's standards may certainly be part of the problem...
            I am looking forward to finding a  digital software for  PSK31 and BPSK31 that will work  using older machines, as those are the ones we have available .
            73 and DX
            YOur amigo in Havana
            Arnie Coro
            CO2KK

            Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Stelios Bounanos
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
              Hello Arnie,

              During development I tested fldigi on an ancient machine that I have lying
              around, a Sun UltraSPARC 270MHz with 128MB ram. It worked OK even with
              PSK-250, though of course the graphics were slow.

              Can you run fldigi from a terminal and see if it produces any error
              messages when it exits? If it was killed because of insufficient memory,
              the kernel log should contain a message to that effect. Look at the last
              few lines in the output of the "dmesg" command.

              Also, have you ruled out hardware issues? Crashes could be caused by bad
              memory DIMMS, for instance. It's worth running something like memtest86+
              for a few minutes/hours to check for problems with your ram. Here is a
              link to the latest image:

              http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.gz

              If you gunzip and burn this to a CD you will have a bootable memory
              tester.

              73,
              Stelios, M0GLD.
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                Arnaldo Coro wrote:

                > The fact that the machine used is very slow by today's standards may certainly be part of the problem...
                > I am looking forward to finding a digital software for PSK31 and BPSK31 that will work using older machines, as those are the ones we have available .

                Arnie,

                What are the specs on that machine you are trying to get FLdigi running on?

                CPU speed, memory, and what's the sound card?

                If I have anything close to what you are trying to use lying around I'll
                load up something and try to see what I can find out.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • Arnaldo Coro
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Dear amigo Rick:
                  Thanks for your nice note !
                  The machine here is a 1994 ASUS Motherboard running a
                  333 mHz Celeron " Mendocino" CPU, with 192 Megs of RAM
                  of the PC100 Type. The sound card is a bit more
                  modern, using one of the PCI slots.
                  The FLDIGI running now from the LIVE PUPPY LINUX CD,
                  not installed to the hard drive,and after setting the
                  waterfall for a slower speed, things improved a bit.
                  Someone told me about doing some more tweaking , but I
                  couldn't understand exactly what had to be done.
                  PUPPY LINUX runs very well on that machine, and I had
                  installed to the hard drive the PUPPY LINUX 2.17.
                  Now PUPPY LINUX has come out with 3.X , that I already
                  downloaded, but still have to burn to a CD, because
                  the old CD burner on my work computer has now ceased
                  to operate properly - it only reads the discs, but
                  doesn't burn them anymore-.
                  My ham station for digital modes is a Kenwood TS-820
                  analog transceiver, with two antennas, one for 20 and
                  10 meters and the other for 40 and 15 meters. With
                  FLDIGI I can work, but it is very frustrating because
                  in the middle of a QSO the program will shut itself
                  up, and one has to re-open it to continue the QSO !!!
                  73 and hope to work you on 7070 kHz during the local
                  evenings, when I find time to be on the air during
                  weekdays... 20 meters is closing very early due to the
                  zero sunspots !!!
                  YOur friend in Havana
                  Arnie
                  CO2KK
                  --- Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                  > Arnaldo Coro wrote:
                  >
                  > > The fact that the machine used is very slow by
                  > today's standards may certainly be part of the
                  > problem...
                  > > I am looking forward to finding a digital
                  > software for PSK31 and BPSK31 that will work using
                  > older machines, as those are the ones we have
                  > available .
                  >
                  > Arnie,
                  >
                  > What are the specs on that machine you are trying to
                  > get FLdigi running on?
                  >
                  > CPU speed, memory, and what's the sound card?
                  >
                  > If I have anything close to what you are trying to
                  > use lying around I'll
                  > load up something and try to see what I can find
                  > out.
                  >
                  > Rick Kunath, k9ao

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Sam Morgan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                    Arnaldo Coro wrote:
                    > With FLDIGI I can work, but it is very frustrating because
                    > in the middle of a QSO the program will shut itself
                    > up, and one has to re-open it to continue the QSO !!!

                    Arnaldo,
                    I wonder if you might start the program in a terminal
                    from the command line using the *strace* command
                    as in 'strace fldigi'

                    then when the program crashed
                    there would be lines of data in the terminal screen
                    about what part had caused fldigi to error out
                    causing the program to close

                    perhaps this way you could locate the problem
                    and figure out a fix for it on your machine.

                    here is a link to the man for strace:
                    http://man.linuxquestions.org/index.php?query=strace&type=2§ion=1&print=1

                    or you can use this one: http://tinyurl.com/2wuvll

                    good luck with your solution.
                    --
                    GB & 73's
                    KA5OAI
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      My comments inline...

                      Arnaldo Coro wrote:
                      > Dear amigo Rick:
                      > Thanks for your nice note !
                      > The machine here is a 1994 ASUS Motherboard running a
                      > 333 mHz Celeron " Mendocino" CPU, with 192 Megs of RAM
                      > of the PC100 Type. The sound card is a bit more
                      > modern, using one of the PCI slots.

                      I've actually got a machine like yours here on the shelf that I've been
                      saving for use as an IP Cop hardware firewall. I'll try to dig it out
                      and see what I can find out.

                      How big is your hard drive Linux swap partition?

                      > The FLDIGI running now from the LIVE PUPPY LINUX CD,
                      > not installed to the hard drive,and after setting the
                      > waterfall for a slower speed, things improved a bit.
                      > Someone told me about doing some more tweaking , but I
                      > couldn't understand exactly what had to be done.

                      I'd start with this on FLdigi:

                      Click the lower left most button to put the waterfall in gry (black and
                      white) not color mode.

                      As you already did, use the "slow" setting on the waterfall speed.

                      Then start FLdigi like this:

                      fldigi --fast-text

                      This will start FLdigi with the older and faster text display widgets.
                      These use less CPU cycles, so will speed things up. Some of the features
                      from the newer widgets are missing, but the fast text widgets should
                      speed things up.

                      You can see all of the fldigi startup options with this command:

                      fldigi --help

                      > PUPPY LINUX runs very well on that machine, and I had
                      > installed to the hard drive the PUPPY LINUX 2.17.
                      > Now PUPPY LINUX has come out with 3.X , that I already
                      > downloaded, but still have to burn to a CD, because
                      > the old CD burner on my work computer has now ceased
                      > to operate properly - it only reads the discs, but
                      > doesn't burn them anymore-.

                      Does anybody know which window manager Puppy 3 is using? You'll want to
                      run something light and fast, not KDE or Gnome.

                      > My ham station for digital modes is a Kenwood TS-820
                      > analog transceiver, with two antennas, one for 20 and
                      > 10 meters and the other for 40 and 15 meters. With
                      > FLDIGI I can work, but it is very frustrating because
                      > in the middle of a QSO the program will shut itself
                      > up, and one has to re-open it to continue the QSO !!!

                      I have one of those same rigs here too on the desk.

                      I'll see what I can do about getting something going on that 333 MHz
                      machine. Let me know if anything I've suggested so far has made any
                      difference.

                      As far as running FLdigi from a heavier window manager, a 600 MHz
                      Pentium 3 and 500 megs of RAM is about the lower limit with KDE. I had
                      one going for a while, but have that machine on the shelf now. A less
                      CPU intensive window manager like maybe ICE will be needed on the slower
                      machine.

                      Rick Kunath, k9ao
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Rick Kunath wrote:
                        > Does anybody know which window manager Puppy 3 is using? You'll want to
                        > run something light and fast, not KDE or Gnome.

                        Puppy uses JWM a very lightweight spin off of IceWM.

                        The real issue is that Puppy loads entirely into RAM. That makes it
                        super responsive but also means that you need to have space for the OS
                        and all of the support apps resident in RAM whether or not they are a
                        running process. When you boot from the EMCpup or any other Puppy ISO
                        the entire OS and the equivalent of /home is loaded into memory. The
                        only thing not loaded are special device drivers like a USB audio
                        codec. After those are loaded you can remove the CD with no loss of
                        functionality to Puppy. I'm pretty sure that the boot process and RAM
                        usage is the same when the ISO has been installed to HD.

                        Dave
                      • Sam Morgan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                          w1hkj wrote:

                          > The real issue is that Puppy loads entirely into RAM. That makes it
                          > super responsive but also means that you need to have space for the OS
                          > and all of the support apps resident in RAM whether or not they are a
                          > running process. When you boot from the EMCpup or any other Puppy ISO
                          > the entire OS and the equivalent of /home is loaded into memory. The
                          > only thing not loaded are special device drivers like a USB audio
                          > codec. After those are loaded you can remove the CD with no loss of
                          > functionality to Puppy. I'm pretty sure that the boot process and RAM
                          > usage is the same when the ISO has been installed to HD.

                          I believe back a number of messages ago CO2KK said:

                          <quote>The machine has a 4,3 gigabytes hard drive, and I installed Puppy Linux
                          2.16 to it some time ago, so it boots from the hard drive.</quote>

                          If it is installed to the hard drive there is no way it can use as much ram as
                          it takes to run it from cd. Linux always uses as much ram as you have in the
                          box, it knows its faster that way. But if it's not having to contain the whole
                          os and run the programs because the pgms are now installed in the hard drive. It
                          just has to run what ever programs and basic damons it has going.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Sam Morgan wrote:
                            > If it is installed to the hard drive there is no way it can use as much ram as
                            > it takes to run it from cd. Linux always uses as much ram as you have in the
                            > box, it knows its faster that way. But if it's not having to contain the whole
                            > os and run the programs because the pgms are now installed in the hard drive. It
                            > just has to run what ever programs and basic damons it has going.

                            Almost true Sam.

                            For those who are trying to run EMCpup in 128M or less of RAM I invite
                            you to read the information on the following web page:

                            http://www.puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

                            This describes how Puppy (of which EMCpup is a derivative) loads from
                            CD, HD, etc. It also specifies how the RAM is utilized and how much.

                            Some instructions are found there on the use of a "real" swap partition
                            (and not one that is shared with the RAM). A real swap partition on the
                            HD will help with a RAM starved installation.

                            For installing EMCpup to a hard drive I refer you to:

                            http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

                            Note that there are two ways to install to the HD. #1 is basically the
                            same as booting from a CD except that the compressed boot files are on
                            the HD. #2 may provide some additional breathing room for the RAM
                            starved computer.

                            Fldigi allocates additional memory each time that a new modem type is
                            started. To keep this memory usage to a minimum it is best to open only
                            one or two modem types (BPSK-31 and CW for example). On initial startup
                            in BPSK-31 mode the program requires about 10 M of memory. Memory usage
                            will grow as the Rx text buffer continues to fill. Text buffer space is
                            allocated on an as needed basis. But this growth is pretty minimal
                            unless you left the program running for days at a time and never cleared
                            the text buffer.

                            Fldigi has two text widgets available. You can elect to use the more
                            frugal (and less featured) text widgets by invoking fldigi from a
                            command line with the --fast-text switch set. Fldigi has other command
                            line switches which you can see if you execute "fldigi --help" from a
                            command line.

                            73, Dave, W1HKJ
                          • Sam Morgan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                              w1hkj wrote:

                              > Almost true Sam.

                              > Some instructions are found there on the use of a "real" swap partition
                              > (and not one that is shared with the RAM). A real swap partition on the
                              > HD will help with a RAM starved installation.
                              >

                              > Note that there are two ways to install to the HD. #1 is basically the
                              > same as booting from a CD except that the compressed boot files are on
                              > the HD. #2 may provide some additional breathing room for the RAM
                              > starved computer.

                              /me slaps head
                              it never dawned on me that the hard drive install being discussed
                              would be any other way than #2
                              and have also have a nice fat swap partition for breathing room.
                              just figured it had to be done that way
                              *IF* you were going to get any break on the minimal physical ram used.
                              duh :-/

                              teach me to skip a step in my thinking/explanation... heheh

                              ps
                              I use to run DSL that way and had forgotten the hoops I had to jump through to
                              get it done.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                                Hi amigo Rick:
                                I still have the annoying " the program vanishes from
                                the screen effect" and PUPPY shows the desktop.
                                Then, FLDIGI must be reopened in the middle of the QSO
                                so as not to loose the contact in progress.
                                The waterfall is set to slow, and my monitor is
                                black and white, but I understand that the waterfall
                                must also be switched to the black and white mode.
                                73 and DX
                                YOur friend in Havana
                                Arnie Coro
                                CO2KK
                                usually on 7070 kHz after 0200 UTC using FLDIGI
                                with PUPPY LINUX

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Rick Kunath
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  Arnaldo Coro wrote:
                                  > Hi amigo Rick:
                                  > I still have the annoying " the program vanishes from
                                  > the screen effect" and PUPPY shows the desktop.
                                  > Then, FLDIGI must be reopened in the middle of the QSO
                                  > so as not to loose the contact in progress.
                                  > The waterfall is set to slow, and my monitor is
                                  > black and white, but I understand that the waterfall
                                  > must also be switched to the black and white mode.
                                  > 73 and DX
                                  > YOur friend in Havana
                                  > Arnie Coro
                                  > CO2KK

                                  Ok Arnie,

                                  I'll have to build up that older machine and see what I can turn up.
                                  It'll take a while, but I'll try to look at it from here and see if I
                                  can turn anything up.

                                  Rick Kunath, k9ao
                                • Bob Nielsen
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007

                                    On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:16 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                                    For installing EMCpup to a hard drive I refer you to:

                                    http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

                                    .

                                    I looked at that page and it mentioned a "Puppy Universal Installer" option on the Setup menu.  There is no such option on EMCpup.

                                    Bob, N7XY

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Bob Nielsen wrote:

                                      On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:16 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                                      For installing EMCpup to a hard drive I refer you to:

                                      http://www.puppylin ux.com/hard- puppy.htm

                                      .

                                      I looked at that page and it mentioned a "Puppy Universal Installer" option on the Setup menu.  There is no such option on EMCpup.

                                      Bob, N7XY

                                      I just booted the latest EMCpup ISO and look at the menu system.

                                      On the desktop click the Puppy Menu (lower left corner)
                                      Click the "Setup" menu item
                                      The following extended menu items should appear:
                                      • Puppy package manager
                                      • Wizard Wizard
                                      • ---
                                      • ALSA sound Wizard
                                      • CD/DVD drive Wizard
                                      • CUPS Printer Wizard
                                      • Linux-Firewall Wizard
                                      • Mouse/keyboard Wizard
                                      • Network Wizard
                                      • X server chooser Wizard
                                      • Xorg Video Wizard
                                      • Xvesa Video Wizard
                                      • ---
                                      • Dougal enhanced remaster CD
                                      • Puppy universal installer
                                      • Remaster Puppy live-CD
                                      • WakePup create boot floppy

                                      Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place.

                                      73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                    • Bob Nielsen