Re: [linuxham] Ubuntu Spyware?

  • Dave Wright
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      Gary,

      I wasn't intending to "justify" it, just to point out that no one should be surprised and shocked about the "breach against one's privacy" while continuing to use tools like Google, Yahoo Groups, and many others.

      My post was paraphrased from one I made on the 30MDG group a few months back regarding Facebook, where the originator had said that he would use Facebook because it didn't protect his privacy sufficiently.  I intended solely to point out that in this hobby, none of us have privacy and worrying about Facebook while posting on Yahoo Groups and other public forums (and including his phone number on his emails) was silly.

      In the end, the beautiful thing about Linux is that you can change distros at will, and one can switch from Ubuntu if they don't like the changes made (or don't want to simply TURN THEM OFF).  Canonical has made a business decision and it will either backfire or will pay off hugely.  Either way, life will go on, and some other company will simply collect all of that data some other way.  The point I was trying to make was more to point out the hypocrisy of the complaint about privacy...in today's electronic world, there is no real "privacy" any longer...at least not if you are on-line in a public forum and also hold a public license.

      Dave
      K3DCW
      www.k3dcw.net

      "Real radio bounces off the sky"

      On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM, <pfbram@...> wrote:
      Seems like a slippery slope to self-rationalize a breach against one's privacy to perpetually justify/legitimize more.