Re: Fedora 17 and fldigi

  • jhhaynes@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison wrote:

      > I would suggest that you download the src rpms for fldigi and
      > fldigi-doc and install them, you can then edit the spec file for
      > version and change other things. There are also some spec files
      > here:

      I run F17 and I've never learned to build from src rpms; I just
      get the fldigi (and other fl-things) source tar.gz files and use
      the old ./configure and make and make install routine.

      Of course some things will come up missing the first time you try
      it; and then I just muddle through with yum until I get enough of
      them to make it through a compile. I don't have a list of the
      stuff that needs to be installed; I just figure it out as I go along.
      So I get to make the same blunders over and over.

      I don't usually install hamlib; it's optional and installing it
      drags in tons of other stuff that I probably don't need.

      The main thing you need to know is that in Fedora there are packages
      for things like libraries; but to compile there is an associated
      -devel package that you need to get the header files.

      To start out, you need to install gcc and gcc-c++ if those are
      not already part of your installation. You can use rpm -q to
      see if a package is installed; and you can use rpm -qa | grep
      if you know part of the name of a package but rpm -q doesn't
      show it as installed. And you can use yum provides to search
      for things that are not installed.

      All the above applies to a fresh install of F17. When I have used
      preupgrade to get from one Fedora release to the next it figures
      out what I have installed already and installs the corresponding
      packages from the new release, so I can just repeat the ./configure
      and make and make install and everything I need should already be
      there.

      If you want to try to avoid compiling you can get the fldigi...bin.tgz
      file from Dave's site and extract the binary from it. Then use the
      ldd command to see which libraries are needed that are missing from
      your system. Then install them and you don't need the corresponding
      -devel packages. But this is probably more successful with Ubuntu
      than with Fedora.

      Jim W6JVE
    • hc6ep
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
        > So, I am hoping someone has a list of such dependencies and .spec file
        > for fldigi for fedora 17 that they would be willing to send me by return
        > emails.

        ok, you can get the src.rpm I create for fldigi here:
        http://f17.ecualinux.com/SRPMS/

        you can extract the .spec by doing: rpm -Uvh thedownloaded.src.rpm

        I use mock to easily create the package for 32 and 64bits.

        you can use the repo as well: http://f17.ecualinux.com/

        BTW I have not compiled a newer version in a long time.. will try to compile 3.21.65 now.

        72
        epe

        > 73 de "Jug", WA6MBZ
        > wa6mbz (at) yahoo dot com
        > .
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > .
        >
        > ... �� 73 de 'Jug',�� WA6MBZ, � DM04DK, � wa6mbz@...

      • Brian Morrison
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
          On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:24:05 -0000
          jhhaynes@... wrote:

          > > I would suggest that you download the src rpms for fldigi and
          > > fldigi-doc and install them, you can then edit the spec file for
          > > version and change other things. There are also some spec files
          > > here:
          >
          > I run F17 and I've never learned to build from src rpms; I just
          > get the fldigi (and other fl-things) source tar.gz files and use
          > the old ./configure and make and make install routine.

          You can do this if you want to, I occasionally do it myself, but the
          nice thing about yum and rpms is that it's very easy to create a local
          repo for yourself and then you can install, upgrade and downgrade very
          quickly with everything handled automatically.

          --

          Brian Morrison
        • David A. Ranch
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
            Sorry for replying so late to this thread.. been a crazy couple of
            weeks. Anyway, compiling the Fl-suite from RPMs is pretty easy once you
            have the proper build environment in place.
            I have all the required steps to do this documented here:

            # Setup the build environment
            #
            # Note: my document uses the older style of building
            #

            http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#2.ax25kernelprep

            #If you'd like to use the newer style of a build environment, see the
            following URL. A newer version of my
            # document includes this and I intend to move to this newer style as
            time permits
            #
            http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment

            #Building Fldigi (and all the other programs too) step by step
            #

            http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#12.fldigi

            If you have any issues in compiling via the SPEC files, please feel free
            to email me and I'll help you work through it. Once you have it working
            well, I wrote a set of scripts that will:
            - Automatically determine if a newer version is available
            - Download the new code
            - Compile it
            - Install it

            --David