Re: [linuxham] Ubuntu Spyware?

  • pfbram@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      Seems like a slippery slope to self-rationalize a breach against one's privacy to perpetually justify/legitimize more.  Sending desktop search activity, the names of your own file searches, takes things to a whole new granular level.  If you wanted to share potentially commercially valuable information with a third-party you'd make business arrangement such that you get a royalty or discount (it's your hardware, your content, and your behavior).  What's in it ($$$) for the user to have his data/behavior collected?  Especially if you ran your business on that PC, had your own intellectual property that you wanted to bring to market or publish, etc.

      I've been a loyal Ubuntu user since the beginning, but it has become unclear to me what Ubuntu adds to Debian -- other than a new skin, the Unity interface (which I dislike) and monetizing spyware.  Certainly my next upgrade will be Debian which, to my knowledge, does not install such "features".  The good news is that most every ham package I've used for Linux basically treats Debian .DEB as a baseline for package releases, perhaps Red Hat .RPM as a second.  It is not silly to expect an OS to keep your information private/secure.  In addition to managing hardware resources and running programs, authorization is one of the chief purposes of any OS.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013

        I wasn't intending to "justify" it, just to point out that no one should be surprised and shocked about the "breach against one's privacy" while continuing to use tools like Google, Yahoo Groups, and many others.

        My post was paraphrased from one I made on the 30MDG group a few months back regarding Facebook, where the originator had said that he would use Facebook because it didn't protect his privacy sufficiently.  I intended solely to point out that in this hobby, none of us have privacy and worrying about Facebook while posting on Yahoo Groups and other public forums (and including his phone number on his emails) was silly.

        In the end, the beautiful thing about Linux is that you can change distros at will, and one can switch from Ubuntu if they don't like the changes made (or don't want to simply TURN THEM OFF).  Canonical has made a business decision and it will either backfire or will pay off hugely.  Either way, life will go on, and some other company will simply collect all of that data some other way.  The point I was trying to make was more to point out the hypocrisy of the complaint about privacy...in today's electronic world, there is no real "privacy" any longer...at least not if you are on-line in a public forum and also hold a public license.