Mystery signal / FLdigi 3.21.65

  • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
      I came across a spy station transmission today on 10.715 usb. It was the
      usual Cuban "V2" numbers but there was a data mode too. It sounded like one
      of FLdigi's multi-psk modes but had 8 carriers.

      My hunch was PSK125R x 8 which isn't defined in the 3.21.65 source so I
      added a PSK125R8 mode with a symbol length of "48" and recompiled but didn't
      get any sensible decode.

      Anyone else up for trying? The audio file I recorded is here:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qcpe7sdepvy622/V2_Data_10715.wav

      I'm probably way off-track with this so any other suggestions welcome.

      73

      Sholto
      K7TMG
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
        On 12/31/2012 09:44 PM, Sholto Fisher, K7TMG wrote:
        > I came across a spy station transmission today on 10.715 usb. It was the
        > usual Cuban "V2" numbers but there was a data mode too. It sounded like one
        > of FLdigi's multi-psk modes but had 8 carriers.
        >
        > My hunch was PSK125R x 8 which isn't defined in the 3.21.65 source so I
        > added a PSK125R8 mode with a symbol length of "48" and recompiled but didn't
        > get any sensible decode.
        >
        > Anyone else up for trying? The audio file I recorded is here:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qcpe7sdepvy622/V2_Data_10715.wav
        >
        > I'm probably way off-track with this so any other suggestions welcome.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Sholto
        > K7TMG
        The recording is at 11025 bits/sec Sholto. That does not fit with a
        PSK125R which should be at 8000 bits/sec. Audacity analysis does show 8
        distinct signals that have the characteristic shape of a psk-r signal.
        That corresponds with the waterfall signature.

        Dave
      • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
          Hi Dave,

          I wasn't loading the file directly into FLdigi - just playing it on a
          different computer while monitoring with FLdigi on the laptop (using an
          audio patch cable).
          I figured it woudn't matter what the sample rate was perhaps I'm wrong?

          73

          Sholto

          > On 12/31/2012 09:44 PM, Sholto Fisher, K7TMG wrote:
          >> I came across a spy station transmission today on 10.715 usb. It was the
          >> usual Cuban "V2" numbers but there was a data mode too. It sounded like
          >> one
          >> of FLdigi's multi-psk modes but had 8 carriers.
          >>
          >> My hunch was PSK125R x 8 which isn't defined in the 3.21.65 source so I
          >> added a PSK125R8 mode with a symbol length of "48" and recompiled but
          >> didn't
          >> get any sensible decode.
          >>
          >> Anyone else up for trying? The audio file I recorded is here:
          >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qcpe7sdepvy622/V2_Data_10715.wav
          >>
          >> I'm probably way off-track with this so any other suggestions welcome.
          >>
          >> 73
          >>
          >> Sholto
          >> K7TMG
          > The recording is at 11025 bits/sec Sholto. That does not fit with a
          > PSK125R which should be at 8000 bits/sec. Audacity analysis does show 8
          > distinct signals that have the characteristic shape of a psk-r signal.
          > That corresponds with the waterfall signature.
          >
          > Dave

        • Dave Wright

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
              OK so I really was looking in the wrong direction!

              Loaded up DIGTRX and the file decoded perfectly... learn something new every
              day :)

              73

              Sholto

              > I came across a spy station transmission today on 10.715 usb. It was the
              > usual Cuban "V2" numbers but there was a data mode too. It sounded like
              > one
              > of FLdigi's multi-psk modes but had 8 carriers.
              >
              > My hunch was PSK125R x 8 which isn't defined in the 3.21.65 source so I
              > added a PSK125R8 mode with a symbol length of "48" and recompiled but
              > didn't
              > get any sensible decode.
              >
              > Anyone else up for trying? The audio file I recorded is here:
              > https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qcpe7sdepvy622/V2_Data_10715.wav
              >
              > I'm probably way off-track with this so any other suggestions welcome.
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Sholto
              > K7TMG

            • Brian Lloyd
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
                On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Dave Wright <hfradiopro@...> wrote:

                RDFT mode...not available in FLDIGI.

                So, is there a list somewhere of all the modes being used and their definitions?

                --
                Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                3191 Western Dr.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Brian,

                  There are too many modes to have a definitive list of users, definitions, and modes. There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of digital modes in use around the world on HF every day.

                  In the case of the Cubans using RDFT, it has been in use for 2 or 3 years now, but since it isn't "ham", it isn't discussed on this list but has been discussed for a long time on the UDXF, Spooks, and Enigma lists.

                  For an incomplete listing of Ham digital modes, you can check out my homepage…I have a digital sounds page that includes most of the digital modes in common use on HF amateur radio today.

                  For non-amateur modes, the best source on the web is signals.taunus.de, but about half the people in the world can't access the site due to heavy IP filtering due to people blatantly ripping off the site in the past.

                  K3DCW
                  www.k3dcw.net

                  "Real radio bounces off the sky"