still no use of FLdigi

  • tearlach@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
      After beating my head against the computer for many hours and trying everything I can think of, FLDigi does not work on my computer.
      I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with FLDigi version 3.21.38 and 4 gigs of ram. My radio is an Icom 718 and the proper interface cable is installed between the radio and the Rigblaster. The other lines from the Rigblaster and put into the colour coordinated spots on the sound portion of the MOBO.
      The interface is a Rigblaster plug and Play.FLDigi loads fine but I cannot send or receive. The drivers for the Rigblaster are installed and with FLDigi in "send", the "transmit" light on the TNC is lit but nothing is coming out of the radio so I may assume that this portion of the interface functions.
      Too, clicking either "control T" nor F10 makes FLDigi transmit. I cannot make any changes on the FLDigi screen so can make no effects there.
      I'm still rather new to Ubuntu so I do need instructions if coding is suggested.
      Any suggestions on how to resolve this long-running dliema?
      Tearlach
      W8SCO/NNN0FEJ
    • wdubose@texas.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
        Why not try a fresh approach.

        Move the current directory you have your ALL of your Fldigi "stuff" in to a
        ~directory_name
        Then go to your /usr/local or /usr/local/Fldigi directory and do the following
        (from www.w1hkj.com/LaunchpadInstall.html)

        Open a terminal window

        Enter the following set of commands (the $ is the command line prompt).

        $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kamalmostafa/fldigi
        $ sudo apt-get update
        $ sudo apt-get install fldigi

        This should install Fldigi in /usr/local/Fldigi directory or
        /usr/local/Fldigi/Fldigi

        Someone may want to correct me on this. But this is what I did to get my new
        copy of Fldigi working.

        Wait and see if someone else agrees with me on getting a new copy of Fldigi
        going...if that will help.

        Walt/K5YFW

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
          On 11/29/2012 04:06 PM, wdubose@... wrote:

          > Quoting "tearlach@..." <tearlach@...>:
          >
          >> After beating my head against the computer for many hours and trying
          >> everything I can think of, FLDigi does not work on my computer.
          >> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with FLDigi version 3.21.38 and 4 gigs of ram. My
          >> radio is an Icom 718 and the proper interface cable is installed between
          >> the radio and the Rigblaster. The other lines from the Rigblaster and put
          >> into the colour coordinated spots on the sound portion of the MOBO.
          >> The interface is a Rigblaster plug and Play.FLDigi loads fine but I cannot
          >> send or receive. The drivers for the Rigblaster are installed and with
          >> FLDigi in "send", the "transmit" light on the TNC is lit but nothing is
          >> coming out of the radio so I may assume that this portion of the interface
          >> functions.
          >> Too, clicking either "control T" nor F10 makes FLDigi transmit. I cannot
          >> make any changes on the FLDigi screen so can make no effects there.
          >> I'm still rather new to Ubuntu so I do need instructions if coding is
          >> suggested.
          >> Any suggestions on how to resolve this long-running dliema?
          >> Tearlach
          >> W8SCO/NNN0FEJ

          Open a terminal

          sudo adduser (yourusername) dialout

          log out and back in

          Do not move or change anything at all........

          Then as Walt said

          Open a terminal window

          Enter the following set of commands (the $ is the command line prompt).

          $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kamalmostafa/fldigi
          $ sudo apt-get update
          $ sudo apt-get install fldigi

          The fldigi will be in /usr/bin/fldigi

          This will update you to the newest version.

          What are you using for rig control ? rigCAT, Hamlib or flrig.

          True serial port or a USB/serial adapter ?

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
            On 12/03/2012 03:55 PM, Tearlach Sinclair wrote:
            > Sorry that I did not give that info up front, Ed. I'm using Ubuntu
            > 12.04 and FLDigi version 3.21.38 to communicate through a Rigblaster
            > Plug & Play with an Icom IC-718. The drivers for the Rigblaster are
            > installed but I cannot get any communication between the computer and
            > the radio. Here is a copy of my original post to the Linux Ham
            > group. Also is your response to me through that group. Tearlach

            I prefer to keep everything posted to the group as well.

            You need to do this from a terminal::

            > $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kamalmostafa/fldigi
            >
            > $ sudo apt-get update
            >
            > $ sudo apt-get install fldigi

            And this ::

            sudo adduser (yourusername) dialout

            Log out and then log back in.

            Open Configure > Soundcard, make sure you only have PulseAudio checked,
            in the Right Channel tab only Mono Audio output should be checked. Cick
            Save and close.

            Now again from a terminal::

            sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

            it will be installed in your media tab.

            Open Pulse Audio Volume Control, the rigblaster should be listed as a
            usb codec. If so, make sure that is what you select for sound control.

            Adjust the sliders to max, hopefully it will all work.

            Make sure there is not a menu item in the 718 for data jack.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
              On 12/03/2012 12:49 PM, Tearlach Sinclair wrote:
              > Ed, I did as you and Walt said, even copied the codes so I had it
              > right, and still have nothing. I simply have no bloody idea what to
              > do to get this FLDigi takling to my radio. Have you any other trials
              > that I might use? thanks, Tearlach W8SCO

              What codes did you copy and where did you copy thm to ?