Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Newer versions won't run..Fldigi, etc..

Expand Messages
  • dave5722
    I can t get the newer versions of Fldigi, Flamp, Flwrap, Flmsg to run after a normal install for purposes of updating the software. I am running Linux Mint 12
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I can't get the newer versions of Fldigi, Flamp, Flwrap, Flmsg to run after a normal install for purposes of updating the software. I am running Linux Mint 12 and have been running all the software on this distro for a year or so without any problems. I am downloading and installing from the W1HKJ webpage, and doing things exactly as I have been previously. The latest version of Fldigi I can get to run is 3.21.61. Nothing after that runs, including the EXP versions after 3.21.59EXP01. Same for the other software. I have done all the usual Mint updates, and have made no other changes to the program. This is happening on all 3 of the computers that I run the NBEMS software on, all 3 running Linux Mint 12.

      More details: I am downloading to /home/tarballs then extracting to /opt and then dragging the icon to the desktop. This has worked so far and the versions I have installed already still work normally.

      What am I missing? Hopefully something simple and overlooked as usual.

      Dave KB6PNT
    • mm0fmf
      ... Run it from a terminal and look to see what the error messages are. You can then post those messages and we can help then. Andy MM0FMF
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        dave5722 wrote:
        >
        >
        > I can't get the newer versions of Fldigi, Flamp, Flwrap, Flmsg to run

        Run it from a terminal and look to see what the error messages are. You
        can then post those messages and we can help then.

        Andy
        MM0FMF
      • w1hkj
        ... Dave, You really should consider learning how to build the NBEMS family of applications from source. I spent quite a few days writing and testing the
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          On 11/27/2012 11:40 AM, dave5722 wrote:
          I can't get the newer versions of Fldigi, Flamp, Flwrap, Flmsg to run after a normal install for purposes of updating the software.  I am running Linux Mint 12 and have been running all the software on this distro for a year or so without any problems.  I am downloading and installing from the W1HKJ webpage, and doing things exactly as I have been previously.  The latest version of Fldigi I can get to run is 3.21.61.  Nothing after that runs, including the EXP versions after 3.21.59EXP01.  Same for the other software.  I have done all the usual Mint updates, and have made no other changes to the program.  This is happening on all 3 of the computers that I run the NBEMS software on, all 3 running Linux Mint 12. 
          
          More details:  I am downloading to /home/tarballs   then extracting to /opt and then dragging the icon to the desktop. This has worked so far and the versions I have installed already still work normally. 
          
          What am I missing?  Hopefully something simple and overlooked as usual. 
          
          Dave  KB6PNT
          Dave,

          You really should consider learning how to build the NBEMS family of applications from source.  I spent quite a few days writing and testing the procedure for Mint users.

          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Mint_installation

          73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • Ed
          ... Check the permissions, did you delete all the old executables first ? If you are using the binary, go to the download page and follow the instructions in
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            On 11/27/2012 12:40 PM, dave5722 wrote:
            > I can't get the newer versions of Fldigi, Flamp, Flwrap, Flmsg to run
            > after a normal install for purposes of updating the software. I am
            > running Linux Mint 12 and have been running all the software on this
            > distro for a year or so without any problems. I am downloading and
            > installing from the W1HKJ webpage, and doing things exactly as I have
            > been previously. The latest version of Fldigi I can get to run is
            > 3.21.61. Nothing after that runs, including the EXP versions after
            > 3.21.59EXP01. Same for the other software. I have done all the
            > usual Mint updates, and have made no other changes to the program.
            > This is happening on all 3 of the computers that I run the NBEMS
            > software on, all 3 running Linux Mint 12.
            >
            > More details: I am downloading to /home/tarballs then extracting
            > to /opt and then dragging the icon to the desktop. This has worked so
            > far and the versions I have installed already still work normally.
            >
            > What am I missing? Hopefully something simple and overlooked as
            > usual.
            >
            > Dave KB6PNT
            >
            >

            Check the permissions, did you delete all the old executables first ?

            If you are using the binary, go to the download page and follow the
            instructions in the readme. See if that works.

            I made a /bin directory in /home and would just drag/drop the
            executables there.

            Ed W3NR
          • dave5722
            Thanks Dave for the info on building from source. That s what I will try first. Thanks to everyone else who contributed. 73, Dave KB6PNT
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks Dave for the info on building from source. That's what I will try first.

              Thanks to everyone else who contributed.


              73, Dave KB6PNT




              > Dave,
              >
              > You really should consider learning how to build the NBEMS family of
              > applications from source. I spent quite a few days writing and testing
              > the procedure for Mint users.
              >
              > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Mint_installation
              >
              > 73, Dave, W1HKJ
              >
            • dave5722
              Update: I deleted all previous files and built everything from source, works perfectly. One question....when I want to update to a newer versions of the
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                Update: I deleted all previous files and built everything from source, works perfectly.

                One question....when I want to update to a newer versions of the software, do I uninstall and repeat the process?

                Thanks, Dave KB6PNT




                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "dave5722" <KB6PNT@...> wrote:
                >
                > Thanks Dave for the info on building from source. That's what I will try first.
                >
                > Thanks to everyone else who contributed.
                >
                >
                > 73, Dave KB6PNT
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > > Dave,
                > >
                > > You really should consider learning how to build the NBEMS family of
                > > applications from source. I spent quite a few days writing and testing
                > > the procedure for Mint users.
                > >
                > > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Mint_installation
                > >
                > > 73, Dave, W1HKJ
                > >
                >
              • Ed
                ... No, do not delete anything. Just follow Dave s instruction from Geting the Source to the end. You will of course change the version to the new one. You
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 11/27/2012 08:48 PM, dave5722 wrote:
                  > Update: I deleted all previous files and built everything from
                  > source, works perfectly.
                  >
                  > One question....when I want to update to a newer versions of the
                  > software, do I uninstall and repeat the process?
                  >
                  > Thanks, Dave KB6PNT

                  No, do not delete anything. Just follow Dave's instruction from "Geting
                  the Source" to the end. You will of course change the version to the new
                  one. You can pick and choose what you want.

                  Uninstalling

                  Do not remove the source tree directory. You will be able to remove all
                  files installed by make install with:

                  sudo make uninstall

                  This needs to be done 1st. If you forget, don't worry the new
                  exxecutable will over write the old one. But you need to get in the
                  habit of doing the uninstall.

                  Ed W3NR
                • dave5722
                  Understood. Thank you for your help, I just finished the 3rd computer with very little problem. Dave KB6PNT
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Understood. Thank you for your help, I just finished the 3rd computer with very little problem.

                    Dave KB6PNT



                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > On 11/27/2012 08:48 PM, dave5722 wrote:
                    > > Update: I deleted all previous files and built everything from
                    > > source, works perfectly.
                    > >
                    > > One question....when I want to update to a newer versions of the
                    > > software, do I uninstall and repeat the process?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Dave KB6PNT
                    >
                    > No, do not delete anything. Just follow Dave's instruction from "Geting
                    > the Source" to the end. You will of course change the version to the new
                    > one. You can pick and choose what you want.
                    >
                    > Uninstalling
                    >
                    > Do not remove the source tree directory. You will be able to remove all
                    > files installed by make install with:
                    >
                    > sudo make uninstall
                    >
                    > This needs to be done 1st. If you forget, don't worry the new
                    > exxecutable will over write the old one. But you need to get in the
                    > habit of doing the uninstall.
                    >
                    > Ed W3NR
                    >
                  • dave5722
                    OK guys, new problem. I did three separate installations from source as directed previously on 3 separate computers running Mint 12. I then added a fresh
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      OK guys, new problem.

                      I did three separate installations from source as directed previously on 3 separate computers running Mint 12. I then added a fresh install of Mint 14 to one hard drive and used the same instructions to build from source. I ended up with a couple of errors.

                      First error is when I add lines to the sources.list and then sudo apt-get update. (I have checked multiple times to make sure everything is spelled correctly)

                      All new deb-src entries in the sources.list do the same thing, (example of one line):

                      W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/dists/precise-updates/multiverse/source/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]


                      Second error occurs when running sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi:

                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      E: Unable to find a source package for fldigi

                      If I go back to one of the Mint 12 installations, and run the build-dep, things are normal:

                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.


                      Now on Mint 12, all three computers, I also get the "Failed to fetch" error.

                      I'm guessing that on Mint 14, I am not getting all the dependencies listed, so when I install, doesn't work. Don't understand why I am "failing to fetch" all of a sudden unless something has been changed.

                      What am I doing wrong now? (Hey, at least I'm learning a bunch!)

                      Dave KB6PNT





                      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "dave5722" <KB6PNT@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      > Understood. Thank you for your help, I just finished the 3rd computer with very little problem.
                      >
                      > Dave KB6PNT
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On 11/27/2012 08:48 PM, dave5722 wrote:
                      > > > Update: I deleted all previous files and built everything from
                      > > > source, works perfectly.
                      > > >
                      > > > One question....when I want to update to a newer versions of the
                      > > > software, do I uninstall and repeat the process?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks, Dave KB6PNT
                      > >
                      > > No, do not delete anything. Just follow Dave's instruction from "Geting
                      > > the Source" to the end. You will of course change the version to the new
                      > > one. You can pick and choose what you want.
                      > >
                      > > Uninstalling
                      > >
                      > > Do not remove the source tree directory. You will be able to remove all
                      > > files installed by make install with:
                      > >
                      > > sudo make uninstall
                      > >
                      > > This needs to be done 1st. If you forget, don't worry the new
                      > > exxecutable will over write the old one. But you need to get in the
                      > > habit of doing the uninstall.
                      > >
                      > > Ed W3NR
                      > >
                      >
                    • Ed
                      ... What is the name used for Mint14 ? Mint12 is called precise. You need to use the correct name in the above. Or you can just open your package manager
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 12/01/2012 05:50 PM, dave5722 wrote:
                        > OK guys, new problem.
                        >
                        > I did three separate installations from source as directed previously
                        > on 3 separate computers running Mint 12. I then added a fresh
                        > install of Mint 14 to one hard drive and used the same instructions
                        > to build from source. I ended up with a couple of errors.
                        >
                        > First error is when I add lines to the sources.list and then sudo
                        > apt-get update. (I have checked multiple times to make sure
                        > everything is spelled correctly)
                        >
                        > All new deb-src entries in the sources.list do the same thing,
                        > (example of one line):
                        >
                        > W: Failed to fetch
                        > http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/dists/precise-updates/multiverse/source/Sources
                        > 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]

                        What is the name used for Mint14 ? Mint12 is called precise. You need to
                        use the correct name in the above. Or you can just open your package
                        manager select repositories and check everything but the install media
                        (cd/dvd).

                        > Second error occurs when running sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi:
                        >
                        > Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
                        > information... Done E: Unable to find a source package for fldigi

                        Your sources list is incorrect, per the above.


                        > Now on Mint 12, all three computers, I also get the "Failed to
                        > fetch" error.

                        Busy, overloaded serveer, usually.


                        > I'm guessing that on Mint 14, I am not getting all the dependencies
                        > listed, so when I install, doesn't work. Don't understand why I am
                        > "failing to fetch" all of a sudden unless something has been
                        > changed.
                        >
                        > What am I doing wrong now? (Hey, at least I'm learning a bunch!)
                        >
                        > Dave KB6PNT


                        Ed W3NR
                      • dave5722
                        Thanks Ed. As you can see, I m still learning, will make some changes. Dave KB6PNT
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Thanks Ed. As you can see, I'm still learning, will make some changes.

                          Dave KB6PNT



                          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > On 12/01/2012 05:50 PM, dave5722 wrote:
                          > > OK guys, new problem.
                          > >
                          > > I did three separate installations from source as directed previously
                          > > on 3 separate computers running Mint 12. I then added a fresh
                          > > install of Mint 14 to one hard drive and used the same instructions
                          > > to build from source. I ended up with a couple of errors.
                          > >
                          > > First error is when I add lines to the sources.list and then sudo
                          > > apt-get update. (I have checked multiple times to make sure
                          > > everything is spelled correctly)
                          > >
                          > > All new deb-src entries in the sources.list do the same thing,
                          > > (example of one line):
                          > >
                          > > W: Failed to fetch
                          > > http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/dists/precise-updates/multiverse/source/Sources
                          > > 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
                          >
                          > What is the name used for Mint14 ? Mint12 is called precise. You need to
                          > use the correct name in the above. Or you can just open your package
                          > manager select repositories and check everything but the install media
                          > (cd/dvd).
                          >
                          > > Second error occurs when running sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi:
                          > >
                          > > Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
                          > > information... Done E: Unable to find a source package for fldigi
                          >
                          > Your sources list is incorrect, per the above.
                          >
                          >
                          > > Now on Mint 12, all three computers, I also get the "Failed to
                          > > fetch" error.
                          >
                          > Busy, overloaded serveer, usually.
                          >
                          >
                          > > I'm guessing that on Mint 14, I am not getting all the dependencies
                          > > listed, so when I install, doesn't work. Don't understand why I am
                          > > "failing to fetch" all of a sudden unless something has been
                          > > changed.
                          > >
                          > > What am I doing wrong now? (Hey, at least I'm learning a bunch!)
                          > >
                          > > Dave KB6PNT
                          >
                          >
                          > Ed W3NR
                          >
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.