Re: [linuxham] fldigi-3.21.59 posted

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
      > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
      > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
      > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
      > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
      > releases their API spec.

      Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
      basically at the same time.

      Ed W3NR
    • Creede Lambard
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
        I second this. I have been running Windows 7 under VirtualBox (another Linux virtual machine solution) for most of the last month and it handles my ham radio software like a dream. In fact right now I am running both Windows 7 with JT65-HF and fldigi and Ubuntu 12.10 (to test out some server software) in virtual machines, plus I have Thunderbird, Chromium and a bunch of other Linux software running natively in Xubuntu 12.10.

        73, Creede WA7KPK

        The one caveat is you really should have a machine with some power to it to get everything running smoothly. I am using an AMD FX-6100 six-core chip with 8 GB of RAM (and I plan to upgrade to 16 first chance I get).

        On 11/01/2012 02:18 PM, Ed wrote:

        On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
        > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
        > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
        > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
        > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
        > releases their API spec.

        Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
        basically at the same time.

        Ed W3NR

      • David Kjellquist
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
          Ed;
              I used Vbox (mostly successfully) for several years. I am alittle leery of running virtual Win with new hardware (Flex 6500)/software (SmartSDR). My experience with Vbox was about 90% or so good. Once and awhile it got funky mostly with USB.   I probably give it a go again once I have some time with the Flex stuff.... maybe middle next year or so.  Mean time I'll suffer with dual booting

          On 11/1/2012 5:18 PM, Ed wrote:

          On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
          > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
          > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
          > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
          > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
          > releases their API spec.

          Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
          basically at the same time.

          Ed W3NR

        • Brian Morrison
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
            On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
            Brian Morrison wrote:

            > Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
            > all holds together.

            Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.

            I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
            outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?

            --

            Brian Morrison
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
              On 11/02/2012 08:06 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
              > On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
              > Brian Morrison wrote:
              >
              >> Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
              >> all holds together.
              > Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.
              >
              > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
              > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?
              Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

              Dave
            • Brian Morrison
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 08:29:00 -0500
                w1hkj wrote:

                > > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                > > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not
                > > decodable?
                > Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

                OK Dave, I'm using the Monaco TT font but so far I have not changed any
                character coding settings. I will have a play over the weekend.

                It's definitely an improvement though, thanks to you and Andrej for all
                the effort involved in this work.

                --

                Brian Morrison
              • Guy Story
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                  Guy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                    On 11/02/2012 11:06 AM, Guy Story wrote:
                    Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                    Guy
                    receiving

                    Dave
                  • Creede Lambard
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2012
                      Hi Dave and the group,

                      I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                      using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                      FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                      Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.

                      1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                      location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                      CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                      tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                      always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                      drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                      2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                      possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                      include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                      but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                      other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the window.

                      3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                      says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                      Thanks,

                      73, Creede WA7KPK
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2012
                        On 11/03/2012 04:52 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:
                        > Hi Dave and the group,
                        >
                        > I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                        > using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                        > FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                        > Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.
                        >
                        > 1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                        > location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                        > CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                        > tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                        > always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                        > drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                        Thats the way it works. Set what you want in the main flrig window. Open
                        Memory, click add. Couldn't be any simpler

                        > 2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                        > possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                        > include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                        > but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                        > other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the wind

                        > 3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                        > says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                        Are you saying the memory window or the drop down i flrig itself.