Re: [linuxham] fldigi-3.21.59 posted

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 04:12 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
      > Dave;
      > Problem with WIN binaries. No changes from previous configurations
      > an frequency display on fldigi doesn't update when keyed by flrig!
      > Keying xcvr works ok. fldigi (rig cat) without flrig works ok.
      >
      > Tried various fldig/flrig startup sequences and interface
      > initializations with no luck.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Dave WB5NHL

      A little confused here Dave, flrig updates the QSO frequency when you
      mouse click on a signal. Is this what you mean ? or do you mean the
      frequency window itself ?

      Other than setting the correct baud rate and com port, there is nothing
      else to change.

      Ed W3NR
    • David Kjellquist
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
        Never mind   Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it, whatever it was.  I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze.  I really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio releases their API spec.

        On 11/1/2012 4:24 PM, w1hkj wrote:

        On 11/01/2012 03:12 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
        Dave;
            Problem with WIN binaries.  No changes from previous configurations an frequency display on fldigi doesn't update when keyed by flrig!  Keying xcvr works ok.   fldigi (rig cat) without flrig works ok.

        Tried various fldig/flrig startup sequences and interface initializations with no luck.

        Any ideas?

        Dave  WB5NHL
        A bit more information so I can do follow up tests Dave.

        OS version?
        Transceiver?

        Does the same setup work when you run under Linux?

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
          On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
          > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
          > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
          > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
          > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
          > releases their API spec.

          Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
          basically at the same time.

          Ed W3NR
        • Creede Lambard
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
            I second this. I have been running Windows 7 under VirtualBox (another Linux virtual machine solution) for most of the last month and it handles my ham radio software like a dream. In fact right now I am running both Windows 7 with JT65-HF and fldigi and Ubuntu 12.10 (to test out some server software) in virtual machines, plus I have Thunderbird, Chromium and a bunch of other Linux software running natively in Xubuntu 12.10.

            73, Creede WA7KPK

            The one caveat is you really should have a machine with some power to it to get everything running smoothly. I am using an AMD FX-6100 six-core chip with 8 GB of RAM (and I plan to upgrade to 16 first chance I get).

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
              Ed;
                  I used Vbox (mostly successfully) for several years. I am alittle leery of running virtual Win with new hardware (Flex 6500)/software (SmartSDR). My experience with Vbox was about 90% or so good. Once and awhile it got funky mostly with USB.   I probably give it a go again once I have some time with the Flex stuff.... maybe middle next year or so.  Mean time I'll suffer with dual booting

              On 11/1/2012 5:18 PM, Ed wrote:

              On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
              > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
              > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
              > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
              > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
              > releases their API spec.

              Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
              basically at the same time.

              Ed W3NR

            • Brian Morrison
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
                Brian Morrison wrote:

                > Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
                > all holds together.

                Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.

                I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?

                --

                Brian Morrison
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                  On 11/02/2012 08:06 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                  > On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
                  > Brian Morrison wrote:
                  >
                  >> Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
                  >> all holds together.
                  > Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.
                  >
                  > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                  > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?
                  Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

                  Dave
                • Brian Morrison
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                    On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 08:29:00 -0500
                    w1hkj wrote:

                    > > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                    > > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not
                    > > decodable?
                    > Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

                    OK Dave, I'm using the Monaco TT font but so far I have not changed any
                    character coding settings. I will have a play over the weekend.

                    It's definitely an improvement though, thanks to you and Andrej for all
                    the effort involved in this work.

                    --

                    Brian Morrison
                  • Guy Story
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                      Guy

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                        On 11/02/2012 11:06 AM, Guy Story wrote:
                        Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                        Guy
                        receiving

                        Dave
                      • Creede Lambard
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2012
                          Hi Dave and the group,

                          I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                          using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                          FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                          Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.

                          1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                          location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                          CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                          tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                          always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                          drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                          2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                          possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                          include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                          but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                          other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the window.

                          3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                          says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                          Thanks,

                          73, Creede WA7KPK
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2012
                            On 11/03/2012 04:52 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:
                            > Hi Dave and the group,
                            >
                            > I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                            > using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                            > FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                            > Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.
                            >
                            > 1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                            > location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                            > CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                            > tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                            > always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                            > drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                            Thats the way it works. Set what you want in the main flrig window. Open
                            Memory, click add. Couldn't be any simpler

                            > 2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                            > possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                            > include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                            > but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                            > other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the wind

                            > 3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                            > says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                            Are you saying the memory window or the drop down i flrig itself.