Re: [linuxham] Contest Logging Programming Help

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 06:26 AM, Dave Toombs wrote:
      > Just a thought, I suppose your router is allowing outbound ports to the
      > DXCluster service in question.
      >
      > Note typically telnet uses port 73 however DX Clusters use a range of
      > ports typically 7300 some use 8000, 9000 or even 23000

      Have you tried to ping the cluster ? I'm curious, post the cluster info
      that you are trying to connect to, including the port.

      If you have it configured correctly, Putty is the way to go.

      Ed W3NR

      Former DXspider sysop.
    • William Liporace - WC2L
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
        Yes, it is not a communication to the node issue. It is my node
        (dxc.wc2l.com). I can use putty or the CLI telnet to get the node. It is the
        way that the program works, I believe.

        Will WC2L

        On 11/01/2012 06:26 AM, Dave Toombs wrote:
        > Just a thought, I suppose your router is allowing outbound ports to
        > the DXCluster service in question.
        >
        > Note typically telnet uses port 73 however DX Clusters use a range of
        > ports typically 7300 some use 8000, 9000 or even 23000

        Have you tried to ping the cluster ? I'm curious, post the cluster info that
        you are trying to connect to, including the port.

        If you have it configured correctly, Putty is the way to go.

        Ed W3NR

        Former DXspider sysop.

      • Holger Schurig
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
          Okay, I've got the source. My first impression is that the writer of the source is a bit unused to the linux environment. He does some unusual things:

          a) no Makefile, instead a "install_kb" file, which doesn't installation, but compilation

          b) a kb_bells program that only runs on x86 computers. "kb" doesn't generate sounds via wav files, but directly via assembler. And it has to compiled in as kernel module. The first will make this program never run on non-x86 linux boxes, e.g. the Raspberry PI. And the ladder will certainly make sure that no distribution will ever pack that software, because this is considered a big NO-NO in linux land.

          c) the source code still has some \r (carriage return) characters in it

          That nonwithstanding, I applaud the author to go into unknown territory !   :-)

          Now, I have to figure out with what keyboard sequence "kb" starts "kb_telnet" ...