fldigi-3.21.59 posted

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
      http://www.w1hkj.com/

      Version 3.21.59

      Thumbdrive
      * discover application executable location
      * if the directory in which "fldigi" / "fldigi.exe" resides
      contains a file named NBEMS.DIR then base all NBEMS file
      locations to that drive-folder
      * this allows a fully portble NBEMS installation
      to a thumbdrive (or other portable drive)
      * it also allows a very easy way to install multiple NBEMS suites
      for different target uses on a single hard drive

      UTF-8 overhaul
      * Refactor get_tx_char()
      * Reset to stock version, call byte_at()
      The class Fl_Text_Buffer_mod (borrowed from FLTK) contained a
      modified
      version of the method char_at() that effectively made it behave as
      byte_at(). Silently modifying a library-provided method not
      only disables
      the access to a certain functionality of the library, but can
      also cause
      other unforeseen consequences. The method was thus reverted to
      the stock
      version and the code that previously called the modified
      version was
      changed to call byte_at() instead.
      * Remove unneeded code in FTextTX::nextChar()
      * Libtiniconv
      - Added libtiniconv (charset conversion library)
      - Library Version 1.0.1 fetched from http://tiniconv.sf.net
      A small fix made to change a misspelled macro name.
      Build system adapted to fit into the fldigi build model.
      * Added CharsetDistiller class
      - Sanitize input data and convert it into UTF-8
      - CharsetDistiller receives input data one byte at a time and
      converts this
      data stream from a particular character set into UTF-8.
      Invalid input data
      is treated as if it was encoded in CP1252. Character set
      conversion is
      performed as soon as possible, i.e., when enough input is
      received to
      constitute a valid character in the input character set, this
      character is
      immediatly converted into UTF-8 and made available at the output.
      * Make put_rx_char_flmain() use charsetDistiller
      * Make put_echo_char() use CharsetDistiller
      * Make pskBrowser use CharsetDistiller
      * Added OutputEncoder class
      - Used for encoding transmitted data
      - OutputEncoder accepts UTF-8 strings at input, converts them
      to the
      selected encoding and outputs them one byte at a time.
      * TX character set conversion using OutputEncoder
      * Fix backspace for >2byte UTF-8 characters
      * Global setting for RX/TX charset
      * Cleanup modem UTF-8 code
      - PSK, Olivia, MT63 and MFSK modems:
      cleanup of unneeded UTF-8 handling code
      - Everything that deals with output character set conversion
      and data
      sequencing is now done using OutputEncoder, so the modems can
      become
      completely agnostic about the character set used. As far as
      they are
      concerned, everything is just byte-sized data.
      * Added an array of character set names and identifiers
      * UTF-8 code cleanup
      - Cleanup of unneeded UTF-8 handling code in add_rxtx_char()
      and family
      * Character set selection menu
      - Add menu button to select the active TX/RX charset to the
      colors-fonts
      configure dialog. The setting defaults to UTF-8 (selected
      at program
      startup). The selection is saved to the program defaults
      configuration
      file when "Config/Save" is executed.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
        On 10/31/2012 03:14 PM, w1hkj wrote:
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/
        >
        > Version 3.21.59

        Built from source with no problems (as usual) Xubuntu 12.04.

        Ed W3NR
      • Brian Morrison
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
          On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:14:26 -0500
          w1hkj wrote:

          > Version 3.21.59

          Built, will install and run this evening.

          It will be instructive to see if this helps with the stalling rx
          window, I notice that the rpm file produced is about 170k larger than
          recent versions, I assume that the changes made have increased the code
          size somewhat.

          --

          Brian Morrison
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
            On 10/31/2012 02:38 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
            > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:14:26 -0500
            > w1hkj wrote:
            >
            >> Version 3.21.59
            > Built, will install and run this evening.
            >
            > It will be instructive to see if this helps with the stalling rx
            > window, I notice that the rpm file produced is about 170k larger than
            > recent versions, I assume that the changes made have increased the code
            > size somewhat.

            Yes Brian. Lot's of added code.

            Dave
          • Adrian
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
              Dave, whom maintains the fedora yum repository with your rpmbuild > package(s)?

              Current is fldigi.x86_64                           3.21.49-1.fc17

              Thanks

              Adrian ... vk4tux

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Looks like quite a list of changes. Time to go make with the clicky.

                  73, Creede WA7KPK

                  On 10/31/2012 01:11 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                  On 10/31/2012 02:38 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                  > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:14:26 -0500
                  > w1hkj wrote:
                  >
                  >> Version 3.21.59
                  > Built, will install and run this evening.
                  >
                  > It will be instructive to see if this helps with the stalling rx
                  > window, I notice that the rpm file produced is about 170k larger than
                  > recent versions, I assume that the changes made have increased the code
                  > size somewhat.

                  Yes Brian. Lot's of added code.

                  Dave

                • Brian Morrison
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                    On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:11:31 -0500
                    w1hkj wrote:

                    > On 10/31/2012 02:38 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                    > > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:14:26 -0500
                    > > w1hkj wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Version 3.21.59
                    > > Built, will install and run this evening.
                    > >
                    > > It will be instructive to see if this helps with the stalling rx
                    > > window, I notice that the rpm file produced is about 170k larger
                    > > than recent versions, I assume that the changes made have increased
                    > > the code size somewhat.
                    > >
                    > Yes Brian. Lot's of added code.

                    Well, I have it running now and will report on how it goes.

                    Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
                    all holds together.

                    --

                    Brian Morrison
                  • David Kjellquist
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Dave;
                          Problem with WIN binaries.  No changes from previous configurations an frequency display on fldigi doesn't update when keyed by flrig!  Keying xcvr works ok.   fldigi (rig cat) without flrig works ok.

                      Tried various fldig/flrig startup sequences and interface initializations with no luck.

                      Any ideas?

                      Dave  WB5NHL

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                        On 11/01/2012 03:12 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
                        Dave;
                            Problem with WIN binaries.  No changes from previous configurations an frequency display on fldigi doesn't update when keyed by flrig!  Keying xcvr works ok.   fldigi (rig cat) without flrig works ok.

                        Tried various fldig/flrig startup sequences and interface initializations with no luck.

                        Any ideas?

                        Dave  WB5NHL
                        A bit more information so I can do follow up tests Dave.

                        OS version?
                        Transceiver?

                        Does the same setup work when you run under Linux?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                          On 11/01/2012 04:12 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
                          > Dave;
                          > Problem with WIN binaries. No changes from previous configurations
                          > an frequency display on fldigi doesn't update when keyed by flrig!
                          > Keying xcvr works ok. fldigi (rig cat) without flrig works ok.
                          >
                          > Tried various fldig/flrig startup sequences and interface
                          > initializations with no luck.
                          >
                          > Any ideas?
                          >
                          > Dave WB5NHL

                          A little confused here Dave, flrig updates the QSO frequency when you
                          mouse click on a signal. Is this what you mean ? or do you mean the
                          frequency window itself ?

                          Other than setting the correct baud rate and com port, there is nothing
                          else to change.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • David Kjellquist

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                              On 11/01/2012 04:41 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
                              > Never mind Rebooting (Windoze solution to everything) fixed it,
                              > whatever it was. I hate Windoze but I'm forcing my self to use it since
                              > my new Flexroadio 6500 (now due 1sr qtr 2013) will only use Windoze. I
                              > really hope somebody writes a good Linux client as soon as Flexradio
                              > releases their API spec.

                              Have you thought about using vmware ? Works well and you get both worlds
                              basically at the same time.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • Creede Lambard
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                                I second this. I have been running Windows 7 under VirtualBox (another Linux virtual machine solution) for most of the last month and it handles my ham radio software like a dream. In fact right now I am running both Windows 7 with JT65-HF and fldigi and Ubuntu 12.10 (to test out some server software) in virtual machines, plus I have Thunderbird, Chromium and a bunch of other Linux software running natively in Xubuntu 12.10.

                                73, Creede WA7KPK

                                The one caveat is you really should have a machine with some power to it to get everything running smoothly. I am using an AMD FX-6100 six-core chip with 8 GB of RAM (and I plan to upgrade to 16 first chance I get).

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
                                  Ed;
                                      I used Vbox (mostly successfully) for several years. I am alittle leery of running virtual Win with new hardware (Flex 6500)/software (SmartSDR). My experience with Vbox was about 90% or so good. Once and awhile it got funky mostly with USB.   I probably give it a go again once I have some time with the Flex stuff.... maybe middle next year or so.  Mean time I'll suffer with dual booting

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                    On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
                                    Brian Morrison wrote:

                                    > Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
                                    > all holds together.

                                    Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.

                                    I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                                    outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?

                                    --

                                    Brian Morrison
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                      On 11/02/2012 08:06 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                                      > On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:59:14 +0000
                                      > Brian Morrison wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Initial results look good but it will take some more time to see if it
                                      >> all holds together.
                                      > Well another 24 hours on and it's still happily scrolling the rx window.
                                      >
                                      > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                                      > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not decodable?
                                      Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

                                      Dave
                                    • Brian Morrison
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                        On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 08:29:00 -0500
                                        w1hkj wrote:

                                        > > I also see that some mangled characters now show up as a small green
                                        > > outline rectangle, is this to indicate that they are not
                                        > > decodable?
                                        > Dependent on Font and Character coding selections.

                                        OK Dave, I'm using the Monaco TT font but so far I have not changed any
                                        character coding settings. I will have a play over the weekend.

                                        It's definitely an improvement though, thanks to you and Andrej for all
                                        the effort involved in this work.

                                        --

                                        Brian Morrison
                                      • Guy Story
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                          Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                                          Guy

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                            On 11/02/2012 11:06 AM, Guy Story wrote:
                                            Dave, is that selection made at the sending or receiving station?

                                            Guy
                                            receiving

                                            Dave
                                          • Creede Lambard
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 3, 2012
                                              Hi Dave and the group,

                                              I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                                              using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                                              FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                                              Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.

                                              1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                                              location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                                              CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                                              tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                                              always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                                              drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                                              2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                                              possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                                              include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                                              but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                                              other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the window.

                                              3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                                              says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                                              Thanks,

                                              73, Creede WA7KPK
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 4, 2012
                                                On 11/03/2012 04:52 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:
                                                > Hi Dave and the group,
                                                >
                                                > I have three questions about flrig, specifically the memory window. I'm
                                                > using version 1.3.08 (the most current version, I think) driving a Yaesu
                                                > FT-857 (pre-D model from 2003) in a Windows 7 instance running under
                                                > Virtualbox on XUbuntu 12.10.
                                                >
                                                > 1. If I go into the memory window and change (for instance) from a
                                                > location set as "21076.000 DIG" which I use for 15M JT65 to "21030.000
                                                > CW" which I use for CW, the mode doesn't change. It stays at DIG. I've
                                                > tried this with several frequency and mode pairs and the frequency
                                                > always changes, but not the mode. However, if I change the mode from the
                                                > drop-down it changes. Any idea why that might be happening?

                                                Thats the way it works. Set what you want in the main flrig window. Open
                                                Memory, click add. Couldn't be any simpler

                                                > 2. I notice that the memory window isn't resizeable. Would it be
                                                > possible to add an option to resize it? The reason I ask is, I want to
                                                > include information on my manual tuner settings as part of the tag text,
                                                > but since I have two sets of tuner settings, one for a dipole and the
                                                > other for a loop, they are going to go off the edge of the wind

                                                > 3. All of the frequencies I have set have an entry next to them that
                                                > says "NONE". What is that? VFO split?

                                                Are you saying the memory window or the drop down i flrig itself.