Contest Logging Programming Help

  • William Liporace - WC2L
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012

      Good Evening,

      I have a friend that has been writing a contest logging program that runs on Linux and BSD. I am currently running Linux Mint 13 that I like. The problem that we are having is the telnet/packet stuff. I am not sure if the problem is in the programming side or the computer side. Is there anyone that can take a look at it ?

      I believe the program is written in C. I can forward the source to you.

      TNX Will WC2L

    • Holger Schurig
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
        Sure, I know telnet by heart.

        It's basically a TCP socket connection between two sides with an escaped out-of-band protocol for negotiations (e.g. screen size), but I believe that this stuff isn't used when attaching to DX clusters.

        "wireshark" will tell :-)

        However, you didn't state what your problem was. I assume you didn't get a connection to the DX cluster. This could be a local-computer-issue. Does your Linux Mint comes with a firewall?  If so, do you see any firewall related output in "dmesg", or do you see anything when you issue the command "iptables -L" (both commands as root).

        73,
        Holger DH3HS
      • William Liporace - WC2L
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012

          I think this is either the way the app addresses the TCP or it is the way Mint works. The firewall is disabled by default on a Mint install. I am not sure why they do that. I will look at those commands later.

          Will WC2L

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
            Hi I use Putty to access DXClusters from my Mint 12 PC and I don't have any problem in connecting to any cluster via TCP.

            Not exactly sure what your software is doing, but I doubt Mint is causing any problems.

            I did have a problem with a perl script I have that is installed in a shared hosted environment. Turned out that my ISP had disabled all outgoing TCP ports. Once they enabled them for my domain, it worked fine. Doubt this is your problem either, but I though I'd mention it just in case.

            73's de Dave, G8FXM

            PGP Fingerprint: BC6A B9C3 A0A8 AF24 06C4 AE1E F3FA 00B8 A52B 9C1D

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012

              I agree. I have used putty or even the telnet command line. There are no issues. It maybe the way that KB uses host name or TCPIP. I have read there has been some networking issues with Mint, but nothing I can hang my hat. I am not a programmer. I do not even attempt to be. That is why I was reaching out to the great resources of our community.

              Will WC2L

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
                Hi Will,
                I'm not a programmer either, just offering my observations in the hope it will help someone.

                Your right, this is the place to field such questions, I'm sure you'll get an answer soon.

                The Linux Ham community is in dire need of Contest Logging Software so please keep us in the loop on this one, can't wait to try it out..

                Good luck with it.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                  I'm a programmer.

                  I don't really think that Mint has network issues. After all, it's a derived from Ubuntu which is again derived from Debian. And they all are Linuxes, where almost all the the networking is inside the kernel. And as of today even Ubuntu managed to wreak havoc the Kernel. :-)

                  So, if you show me the source I can have a look if there's some weird thing going on, e.g. in the regards of hostname -> IP address resolving.

                  73, Holger DH3HS

                • Dave Toombs
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Just a thought, I suppose your router is allowing outbound ports to the DXCluster service in question.

                    Note typically telnet uses port 73 however DX Clusters use a range of ports typically 7300 some use 8000, 9000 or even 23000

                    Just check you have an open outbound port that matches the DXCluster your trying to access.

                    As said before if you can connect via Putty, then the port is open.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                      On 11/01/2012 06:26 AM, Dave Toombs wrote:
                      > Just a thought, I suppose your router is allowing outbound ports to the
                      > DXCluster service in question.
                      >
                      > Note typically telnet uses port 73 however DX Clusters use a range of
                      > ports typically 7300 some use 8000, 9000 or even 23000

                      Have you tried to ping the cluster ? I'm curious, post the cluster info
                      that you are trying to connect to, including the port.

                      If you have it configured correctly, Putty is the way to go.

                      Ed W3NR

                      Former DXspider sysop.
                    • William Liporace - WC2L
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                        Yes, it is not a communication to the node issue. It is my node
                        (dxc.wc2l.com). I can use putty or the CLI telnet to get the node. It is the
                        way that the program works, I believe.

                        Will WC2L

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                          Okay, I've got the source. My first impression is that the writer of the source is a bit unused to the linux environment. He does some unusual things:

                          a) no Makefile, instead a "install_kb" file, which doesn't installation, but compilation

                          b) a kb_bells program that only runs on x86 computers. "kb" doesn't generate sounds via wav files, but directly via assembler. And it has to compiled in as kernel module. The first will make this program never run on non-x86 linux boxes, e.g. the Raspberry PI. And the ladder will certainly make sure that no distribution will ever pack that software, because this is considered a big NO-NO in linux land.

                          c) the source code still has some \r (carriage return) characters in it

                          That nonwithstanding, I applaud the author to go into unknown territory !   :-)

                          Now, I have to figure out with what keyboard sequence "kb" starts "kb_telnet" ...