Issues with fldigi and Mac OS X 10.7.5

  • Robert Stiles
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2012
      Hello All,

      I was wondering if others are have an issue with FLDigi and Mac OSX 10.7.5. Some of the issues are as follows:

      1. The waterfall show a horizontal black bar every minute or so.

      2. The receive signal meter (lower right hand side of the window) will bottom out and stay there until the modem is cycled with another one.

      3. In SITORB mode The signal level meter with start normally and then decrease to zero. The signal to noise ratio text indicator start with what you would expect with a given signal and then decreases from that level then to NAN (not a number).

      4. When SITORB is compared between FLDigi and CocoaModem, FLDigi correctly displays ~20-30 percent of the text. CocoaModem displays ~80-90 percent with the same input signal. Both programs are running concurrently receiving the same signal at the same moment.

      5. In CW mode the scope displays the Square waves in a off / on manner, showing a sequence of square waves (long and short) then turns to a blank scope. This cycles a few time before stopping altogether.

      When recording with the TX capture and playing it back, all of the mode issues except the black bar on the waterfall works. Seems fldigi does not like anything other then a strong signal.

      Playing the mixed-mode.wav file I can decode the PSK31 and FELDHELL, but not MFSK16 or the one on the far right, but I'm not sure what that mode is (THROB4X ?).

      The downloaded version 3.21.45-58 have a issue with fonts. The default selected font was invert and backwards, but still reading left to right. The character was effected. Changing any changeable font type correct this issue. With the exception for the Frequency indicator which remains inverted and backwards.

      I downloaded the source and compiled 3.21.58 version and the text issue was resolved. It's starting to look like a Library compatibility issue at least for the font display issue.

      I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end, as I have not see this issue before.

      If you have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem I'm all Ears.

      Robert
      KK5VD
    • Cliff Scott
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2012
        ** Reply to message from "Robert Stiles" <kk5vd@...> on Tue, 30 Oct
        2012 23:53:05 -0000

        No problems here at all. Can't say regarding the sensitivity, but have you
        checked the squelch setting at the bottom right corner of the main Fldigi
        screen? It has a major effect on what is printed. Haven't tried CW here or
        SITORB. No font issues either.

        Wish I could help.

        Cliff

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I was wondering if others are have an issue with FLDigi and Mac OSX 10.7.5.
        > Some of the issues are as follows:
        >
        > 1. The waterfall show a horizontal black bar every minute or so.
        >
        > 2. The receive signal meter (lower right hand side of the window) will bottom
        > out and stay there until the modem is cycled with another one.
        >
        > 3. In SITORB mode The signal level meter with start normally and then
        > decrease to zero. The signal to noise ratio text indicator start with what
        > you would expect with a given signal and then decreases from that level then
        > to NAN (not a number).
        >
        > 4. When SITORB is compared between FLDigi and CocoaModem, FLDigi correctly
        > displays ~20-30 percent of the text. CocoaModem displays ~80-90 percent with
        > the same input signal. Both programs are running concurrently receiving the
        > same signal at the same moment.
        >
        > 5. In CW mode the scope displays the Square waves in a off / on manner,
        > showing a sequence of square waves (long and short) then turns to a blank
        > scope. This cycles a few time before stopping altogether.
        >
        > When recording with the TX capture and playing it back, all of the mode
        > issues except the black bar on the waterfall works. Seems fldigi does not
        > like anything other then a strong signal.
        >
        > Playing the mixed-mode.wav file I can decode the PSK31 and FELDHELL, but not
        > MFSK16 or the one on the far right, but I'm not sure what that mode is
        > (THROB4X ?).
        >
        > The downloaded version 3.21.45-58 have a issue with fonts. The default
        > selected font was invert and backwards, but still reading left to right. The
        > character was effected. Changing any changeable font type correct this
        > issue. With the exception for the Frequency indicator which remains inverted
        > and backwards.
        >
        > I downloaded the source and compiled 3.21.58 version and the text issue was
        > resolved. It's starting to look like a Library compatibility issue at least
        > for the font display issue.
        >
        > I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end, as I have not see this issue before.
        >
        > If you have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem I'm all Ears.
        >
        > Robert
        > KK5VD
      • Adrian
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2012
        • Dick Kriss
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2012

            On Oct 31, 2012, at 5:52 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

            "Robert Stiles" kk5vd

            Hello All,

            I was wondering if others are have an issue with FLDigi and Mac OSX 10.7.5. Some of the issues are as follows:

            snip

            The downloaded version 3.21.45-58 have a issue with fonts. The default selected font was invert and backwards, but still reading left to right. The character was effected. Changing any changeable font type correct this issue. With the exception for the Frequency indicator which remains inverted and backwards.

            I downloaded the source and compiled 3.21.58 version and the text issue was resolved. It's starting to look like a Library compatibility issue at least for the font display issue.

            I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end, as I have not see this issue before.

            If you have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem I'm all Ears.

            Robert
            KK5VD

            Robert KK5VD,

            I have not noticed any of the issues you raised; however, i use OS X 10.8.2 with fldigi-3.21.58.dmg. Your comment about rolling your own from the source code got my attention. I am not aware of a Mac compiler and would be interested in what you used. Any reason you do not use fldigi released and compiled by Dave, W1HKJ?

            Dick AA5VU

          • w4iwk
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2012
              I haven't seen any of those problems using OSX 10.8.2 and fldigi 3.21.65. I haven't used SITORB so I can't comment on those issues.

              Might some of the issues be sound card related? I'm using a SignaLink USB.

              Irv W4IWK

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Stiles" <kk5vd@...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >
              > I was wondering if others are have an issue with FLDigi and Mac OSX 10.7.5. Some of the issues are as follows:
              >
              > 1. The waterfall show a horizontal black bar every minute or so.
              >
              > 2. The receive signal meter (lower right hand side of the window) will bottom out and stay there until the modem is cycled with another one.
              >
              > 3. In SITORB mode The signal level meter with start normally and then decrease to zero. The signal to noise ratio text indicator start with what you would expect with a given signal and then decreases from that level then to NAN (not a number).
              >
              > 4. When SITORB is compared between FLDigi and CocoaModem, FLDigi correctly displays ~20-30 percent of the text. CocoaModem displays ~80-90 percent with the same input signal. Both programs are running concurrently receiving the same signal at the same moment.
              >
              > 5. In CW mode the scope displays the Square waves in a off / on manner, showing a sequence of square waves (long and short) then turns to a blank scope. This cycles a few time before stopping altogether.
              >
              > When recording with the TX capture and playing it back, all of the mode issues except the black bar on the waterfall works. Seems fldigi does not like anything other then a strong signal.
              >
              > Playing the mixed-mode.wav file I can decode the PSK31 and FELDHELL, but not MFSK16 or the one on the far right, but I'm not sure what that mode is (THROB4X ?).
              >
              > The downloaded version 3.21.45-58 have a issue with fonts. The default selected font was invert and backwards, but still reading left to right. The character was effected. Changing any changeable font type correct this issue. With the exception for the Frequency indicator which remains inverted and backwards.
              >
              > I downloaded the source and compiled 3.21.58 version and the text issue was resolved. It's starting to look like a Library compatibility issue at least for the font display issue.
              >
              > I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end, as I have not see this issue before.
              >
              > If you have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem I'm all Ears.
              >
              > Robert
              > KK5VD

            • Brian Morrison
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2012
                On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:49:31 -0000
                w4iwk wrote:

                > I haven't seen any of those problems using OSX 10.8.2 and fldigi
                > 3.21.65.

                Is that an as yet unreleased version of fldigi?

                --

                Brian Morrison
              • w4iwk
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Typo: I have .56 not .65

                  Sorry for the confusion

                  Irv W4IWK

                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:49:31 -0000
                  > w4iwk wrote:
                  >
                  > > I haven't seen any of those problems using OSX 10.8.2 and fldigi
                  > > 3.21.65.
                  >
                  > Is that an as yet unreleased version of fldigi?
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Brian Morrison

                • Robert Stiles
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Hello All,

                    I think I found the issue, I tried a few things so sure which one corrected the problem.

                    Using otool -L (ldd for Lunix) I found the the linked libraries where pointing to the /usr/local/lib instead of the method indicated in the WIKI. I also compiled a snapshot version of port audio and used this.

                    Below is the bash script I used to compile all of the required libs and place them in a folder located on the desktop. Why it linked to /usr/local/lib folder is unknown.

                    For some reason ham lib reports linker errors when trying to link the static libs.

                    I still have the font issue with the download binary copies from fldigi web sight. Recompiling unmodified sources removes the font issue.

                    SitorB is decoding much better now. however, has about 10% more character errors then Cocoa modem.

                    It would seem with the exception of SitorB everything I've tested against mixed-modes.wav file now works.

                    use of CCINCLUDE in the method shown was need because either libsnd or libsamplerate ignored CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. I waned to make sure it was compiled to MacOSX 10.6 libs.

                    #!/bin/bash
                    CURDIR=$PWD
                    PREFIX=$CURDIR/usr
                    echo $PREFIX

                    CCINCLUDE=" -I/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon"
                    ISYSTEM=" -isystem=/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"
                    THREADS=" -j4"

                    unset CC
                    unset CXX

                    (cd portaudio; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-c++; make $THREADS; make install)

                    export CC="/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -m64 $ISYSTEM $CCINCLUDE"
                    export CXX="/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-g++-4.2 -m64 $ISYSTEM $CCINCLUDE"

                    export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
                    export LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
                    export C_INCLUDE_PATH=$PREFIX/include:/usr/local/include:/usr/include

                    (cd libsndfile-1.0.25; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd libsamplerate-0.1.8; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)

                    export CC="/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -m64 $ISYSTEM "
                    export CXX="/Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-g++-4.2 -m64 $ISYSTEM "

                    (cd libtool-2.4.2; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd pkg-config-0.27.1; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd gettext-0.18.1.1; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd jpeg-8d; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd libpng-1.5.13; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd fltk-1.3.0; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-threads --enable-quartz; make $THREADS; make install)
                    (cd $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig; ln -s ../../portaudio/lib/pkgconfig/* .)
                    (cd xmlrpc-c-1.16.42; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --disable-shared; make $THREADS; make install)
                    #(cd $PREFIX/lib; find . -name "*.dylib" -exec rm -rf {} \;)
                    (cd hamlib-1.2.15; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-static --enable-shared --without-rpc-backends --without-cxx-binding --without-perl-binding --without-tcl-binding --without-python-binding; make $THREADS; make hamlib-static; make install)
                    (cd $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig; ln -s ../../hamlib/lib/pkgconfig/* .)

                    (cd fldigi-3.21.58; make distclean; ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-optimizations=sse2; make $THREADS; make install; make appbundle)
                  • Robert Stiles
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Hello Dick,
                      The compilers used is:
                      /Developer/Xcode-4.3.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2
                      i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)

                      I have a few other compilers namely gcc-4.6, gcc-4.7, intel v12 but none of these can compile the object-c code in FLTK, so I stuck using apple's c/c++ compilers.

                      The font issue might be a particular font I have installed. However it is strange to correct the problem all I have to do is compile unmodified 3.21.xx sources. I could use the command line switch to change the default font. But that does not answer the question as to why. If I can figure out exactly what font is causing the issue I'll select it from another program to see it it behaves correctly.

                      Robert
                      KK5VD

                      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

                      > On Oct 31, 2012, at 5:52 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                      >
                      > > Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Robert Stiles" kk5vdHello All,
                      > >
                      > > I was wondering if others are have an issue with FLDigi and Mac OSX 10.7.5. Some of the issues are as follows:
                      > >
                      > > snip
                      >
                      > > The downloaded version 3.21.45-58 have a issue with fonts. The default selected font was invert and backwards, but still reading left to right. The character was effected. Changing any changeable font type correct this issue. With the exception for the Frequency indicator which remains inverted and backwards.
                      > >
                      > > I downloaded the source and compiled 3.21.58 version and the text issue was resolved. It's starting to look like a Library compatibility issue at least for the font display issue.
                      > >
                      > > I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end, as I have not see this issue before.
                      > >
                      > > If you have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem I'm all Ears.
                      > >
                      > > Robert
                      > > KK5VD

                      > Robert KK5VD,
                      >
                      > I have not noticed any of the issues you raised; however, i use OS X 10.8.2 with fldigi-3.21.58.dmg. Your comment about rolling your own from the source code got my attention. I am not aware of a Mac compiler and would be interested in what you used. Any reason you do not use fldigi released and compiled by Dave, W1HKJ?
                      >
                      > Dick AA5VU

                    • Dick Kriss
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

                        Thu Nov 1, 2012 8:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                        "Robert Stiles" kk5vd

                        Hello Dick,
                        The compilers used is:
                        /Developer/Xcode- 4.3.app/Contents /Developer/ usr/llvm- gcc-4.2/bin/ llvm-gcc- 4.2
                        i686-apple-darwin11 -llvm-gcc- 4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)

                        I have a few other compilers namely gcc-4.6, gcc-4.7, intel v12 but none of these can compile the object-c code in FLTK, so I stuck using apple's c/c++ compilers.

                        The font issue might be a particular font I have installed. However it is strange to correct the problem all I have to do is compile unmodified 3.21.xx sources. I could use the command line switch to change the default font. But that does not answer the question as to why. If I can figure out exactly what font is causing the issue I'll select it from another program to see it it behaves correctly.

                        Robert
                        KK5VD

                        Robert,

                        Thanks for the response. I was unaware that Apple's Xcode could compile from W1HKJ's source code. I have Xcode version 4.5.3 for OS X 10.8.2 and may give it try.  I still don't understand why you want to compile your own rather than use the .dmg version posted by Dave, W1HKJ?

                        I have no way of knowing what font is giving you trouble.  The binary versions of fldigi work find under OS X that has standard fonts installed. As a matter of personal preference I change my TX and RX fonts from the Arial to the Mac standard Menlo Italic 19.

                        Dick AA5VU