TLF-1.1.4 maintenance release

  • Thomas Beierlein
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
      A new TLF bug maintenance release is available at

      https://github.com/downloads/Tlf/tlf/tlf-1.1.4.tar.gz

      It is a minor maintenance release which corrects a lot of small
      annoying problems found by different people in last months (e.g. Fred
      DH5FS, Pierefrancesco IK5PVX and others).

      From the NEWS file:

      New features:
      - ask for confirmation about reported problems in config files to
      give you time to recognize the problems.
      - Rework of digimode handling together with fldigi.
      Fix digimode receiove routine 'rx_rtty()', make miniterm output
      more robust and update miniterm also while the cursor is in the
      exchange field. Drop some unneeded newlines for each function key
      macro.
      - Minor corrections and additions to the man page

      Bug fixes:
      - Old version segfaults in 'searchlog' function if a really long
      callsign filled the input field.
      - Parsing logic for special characters in own exchange (# ...) do
      not rely anymore on a trailing NL to the exchange macro.
      - Fix sidetone control. Recognise CWTONE=0 in logcfg.dat, work
      around a bug in cwdaemon which does not allow to switch tone back on
      afterwards.
      - Stop flickering cursor between input or exchange field and dupe
      searchwindow.
      - fix Alt-t (tune) function to switch tuning on for 6 seconds (can
      be stopped early with any key press).
      !!Be aware that there are some problems in different cwdaemon
      versions
      (no PTT keying, no chance to stop tuning early, ...). Working
      with the maintainer to fix it.

      Further ongoing work:

      - Switch digimode communication to socket or XMLRPC interface which is
      preferred by FLDIGI
      - work on new cabrillo output which fixes known bugs and allows better
      control of log format

      73 es gd DX, de Tom DL1JBE.

      --
      "Do what is needful!"
      Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
        It works very well Thomas, I wish it were posted to Debian already!

        Be well,

        73
        Gopher Hole:  gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher gateway
        Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

        =30=

        On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...> wrote:
        A new TLF bug maintenance release is available at

        https://github.com/downloads/Tlf/tlf/tlf-1.1.4.tar.gz

        It is a minor maintenance release which corrects a lot of small
        annoying problems found by different people in last months (e.g. Fred
        DH5FS, Pierefrancesco IK5PVX and others).

        From the NEWS file:

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
            linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Pierfrancesco Caci
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
          Hi Thomas

          On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...> wrote:
          > A new TLF bug maintenance release is available at
          >
          > https://github.com/downloads/Tlf/tlf/tlf-1.1.4.tar.gz
          >
          > - Fix sidetone control. Recognise CWTONE=0 in logcfg.dat, work
          > around a bug in cwdaemon which does not allow to switch tone back on
          > afterwards.

          Thanks for this. Seems to work ok here.

          > - fix Alt-t (tune) function to switch tuning on for 6 seconds (can
          > be stopped early with any key press).

          Does this require a minimum cwdaemon version? I can't get it to work with 0.9.4

          Pf

          --
          Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
        • Thomas Beierlein
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
            Hi Pierfrancesco,

            Am Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:50:05 +0100
            schrieb Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5pvx@...>:

            > On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...>
            > wrote:
            > > A new TLF bug maintenance release is available at
            > >
            > > https://github.com/downloads/Tlf/tlf/tlf-1.1.4.tar.gz

            ..
            > > - fix Alt-t (tune) function to switch tuning on for 6 seconds
            > > (can be stopped early with any key press).
            >
            > Does this require a minimum cwdaemon version? I can't get it to work
            > with 0.9.4

            Tuning works *partially* with all three available cwdaemon versions
            (0.9.2, 0.9.4 and 0.9.6). The problem is always in the PTT line
            handling. If you use the full-BK without relying on PTT it should work
            ok.

            The observed problems are:

            - 0.9.2 and 0.9.4 switches PTT on and very immediately off again. The
            keying pin is handled properly, but 0.9.4 do not allow to stop the
            tuning earlier.

            - In 0.9.6 I can not get the PTT working at all.

            So the situation is bad for all actual versions if you have to use PTT
            for your rig.

            73, de Tom DL1JBE.

            --
            "Do what is needful!"
            Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
              Hi Thomas,

              On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...> wrote:
              > Hi Pierfrancesco,
              >

              > Tuning works *partially* with all three available cwdaemon versions
              > (0.9.2, 0.9.4 and 0.9.6). The problem is always in the PTT line
              > handling. If you use the full-BK without relying on PTT it should work
              > ok.
              >
              > The observed problems are:
              >
              > - 0.9.2 and 0.9.4 switches PTT on and very immediately off again. The
              > keying pin is handled properly, but 0.9.4 do not allow to stop the
              > tuning earlier.
              >
              > - In 0.9.6 I can not get the PTT working at all.
              >
              > So the situation is bad for all actual versions if you have to use PTT
              > for your rig.

              I have cwdaemon talk to a microHAM USB Interface II.
              I could observe the PTT led flicker at beginning of tune, but the
              CW led doesn't turn up at all.
              While sending cw messages instead, I can see PTT flicker, and then I
              have CW flash normally.
              Alt-P from tlf works correctly, toggling PTT on and off.

              The rigs themselves don't need PTT to send CW.

              Pf

              --
              Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
            • Thomas Beierlein
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 20, 2012
                Hi Pierfrancesco,

                sorry for the long delay. I was a little bit busy here :-)....

                In meantime I found the reason for the Tuning function not working at
                your side. There is a further bug in cwdaemon which stops activation of
                the tune function if your sidetone frequency is set to 0. Please try it.

                So we have to find a way to mute the cw output from cwdaemon while
                still having the tuning function working.

                73, de Tom DL1JBE

                Am Sat, 3 Nov 2012 09:57:04 +0100

                --
                "Do what is needful!"
                Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
                  Hey Thomas, no worries, I'm having my share of crazy work schedules as
                  well. I'm a few
                  timezones away from my radio now, will do this test when I get back.

                  Pf

                  On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Pierfrancesco,
                  >
                  > sorry for the long delay. I was a little bit busy here :-)....
                  >
                  > In meantime I found the reason for the Tuning function not working at
                  > your side. There is a further bug in cwdaemon which stops activation of
                  > the tune function if your sidetone frequency is set to 0. Please try it.
                  >
                  > So we have to find a way to mute the cw output from cwdaemon while
                  > still having the tuning function working.
                  >
                  > 73, de Tom DL1JBE
                  >
                  > Am Sat, 3 Nov 2012 09:57:04 +0100
                  > schrieb Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5pvx@...>:
                  >
                  >> Hi Thomas,
                  >>
                  >> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...>
                  >> wrote:
                  >> > Hi Pierfrancesco,
                  >> >

                  >> > Tuning works *partially* with all three available cwdaemon versions
                  >> > (0.9.2, 0.9.4 and 0.9.6). The problem is always in the PTT line
                  >> > handling. If you use the full-BK without relying on PTT it should
                  >> > work ok.
                  >> >
                  >> > The observed problems are:
                  >> >
                  >> > - 0.9.2 and 0.9.4 switches PTT on and very immediately off again.
                  >> > The keying pin is handled properly, but 0.9.4 do not allow to stop
                  >> > the tuning earlier.
                  >> >
                  >> > - In 0.9.6 I can not get the PTT working at all.
                  >> >
                  >> > So the situation is bad for all actual versions if you have to use
                  >> > PTT for your rig.
                  >>
                  >> I have cwdaemon talk to a microHAM USB Interface II.
                  >> I could observe the PTT led flicker at beginning of tune, but the
                  >> CW led doesn't turn up at all.
                  >> While sending cw messages instead, I can see PTT flicker, and then I
                  >> have CW flash normally.
                  >> Alt-P from tlf works correctly, toggling PTT on and off.
                  >>
                  >> The rigs themselves don't need PTT to send CW.
                  >>
                  >> Pf
                  >>

                  > --
                  > "Do what is needful!"
                  > Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
                  > --

                  Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
                • Pierfrancesco Caci
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
                    Thomas,
                    I've tested this, and setting TONE=1 from within TLF makes tune work. Same as CWTONE=1 from the config file.
                    Looks like a viable workaround to me.