Frequency analysis

  • Nate Bargmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2007
      It has been a couple of years since I participated in the ARRL FMT.
      After seeing the announcement in QST this week, I decided that using
      FLDigi might be a killer way to achieve this.

      In the past I used a telephone test set with a reasonably accurate
      frequency counter, but I couldn't read below 1 Hz. Now I'm looking at
      the display and see that with my FT-920 it's about 18 Hz high and
      drifting slightly upward,

      see screenshot at:
      http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/N0NB/Ham%20radio/snapshot3.png

      which seems about right, Right now I have the '920's display at 9.999
      MHz and I have FLDigi tracking the carrier at 10 MHz.

      Now, all I need to do is get some readings on WWV at 5 and 2.5 MHz and
      get the rig temperature stable. I have a month to get it right.

      Thanks, Dave for a clever addition.

      73, de Nate >>

      --
      Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
      Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
        Nate,
        Congratulations! The results are in and you did better than 1 Hz on 3
        bands and better than 5Hz on the fourth.

        http://www.b4h.net/fmt/fmtresults.php

        fldigi is mentioned prominently in your report and others as well.

        73,
        Leigh/WA5ZNU

        N0NB wrote:
        > It has been a couple of years since I participated in the ARRL FMT.
        > After seeing the announcement in QST this week, I decided that using
        > FLDigi might be a killer way to achieve this.
        >
        > In the past I used a telephone test set with a reasonably accurate
        > frequency counter, but I couldn't read below 1 Hz. Now I'm looking at
        > the display and see that with my FT-920 it's about 18 Hz high and
        > drifting slightly upward,
        >
        > see screenshot at:
        > http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/N0NB/Ham%20radio/snapshot3.png
        >
        > which seems about right, Right now I have the '920's display at 9.999
        > MHz and I have FLDigi tracking the carrier at 10 MHz.
        >
        > Now, all I need to do is get some readings on WWV at 5 and 2.5 MHz and
        > get the rig temperature stable. I have a month to get it right.
        >
        > Thanks, Dave for a clever addition.
        >
        > 73, de Nate >>
        >
        > --
        > Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
        > Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
        > http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
        > My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
        > http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
          * Leigh L Klotz, Jr. <leigh@...> [2007 Dec 05 18:25 -0600]:
          > Nate,
          > Congratulations! The results are in and you did better than 1 Hz on 3
          > bands and better than 5Hz on the fourth.
          >
          > http://www.b4h.net/fmt/fmtresults.php
          >
          > fldigi is mentioned prominently in your report and others as well.

          Thanks, Leigh.

          I went through and calculated the average frequency error for those
          with close readings on all four frequencies and wound up with a "Top
          20" list:

          2007 ARRL FMT Top 20:

          1 WA1ABI 0.2750
          2 WA1RAJ 0.3050
          3 VE2ZAZ 0.3725
          4 VE2IQ 0.3825
          5 WB4KLJ 0.3925
          6 KA7OEI 0.4250
          7 W9TJ 0.4325
          7 WB9FIP 0.4325
          8 W3JW 0.4350
          9 N3UC 0.4425
          10 W0CNN 0.4825
          11 VE3OAT 0.4925
          12 K5CM 0.5000
          13 W2HV 0.5400
          14 W6OQI 0.5825
          15 KB8MOU 0.5850
          16 N0NB 0.6000
          17 AA8K 0.6425
          18 N9CYL 1.1125
          19 W0HBK 1.3425
          20 N5PWG 1.4125

          Considering that W1AW on 40m gave a lot of participants fits, I feel
          pretty good getting that close. But missing the "elite" group by 0.32
          Hz? I'll admit to being disappointed for a moment upon learning that.

          Looking at the above list, it's apparent that being close to W1AW was
          an edge, but they still needed to copy WA6ZTY as well, and they all did
          so accurately.

          At least one other participant used Fldigi as I recall from the
          comments. I also had private email from another who was trying to gain
          more accuracy using his FT-920. Hopefully he'll give EMC PUP and
          Flidigi a try.

          73, de Nate >>