Re: gMFSK PTT problem

  • Jerry W
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2006
      Hi Ed,

      Tried the apt get, here is the error message:
      root@1[jerry]# apt-get build-dep gmfsk
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree... Done
      E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

      I have sources in apt package manager, maybe the one I need is missing?

      Tried the ./configure--enable -hamlib
      error message no such package. I have hamlib3 installed.
      amd hamlib3.dev also.

      Jerry - K0HZI

      -

      Message 2 of 14 , May 12, 2006
        Jerry W wrote:
        > Hi Ed,
        >
        > Tried the apt get, here is the error message:
        > root@1[jerry]# apt-get build-dep gmfsk
        > Reading package lists... Done
        > Building dependency tree... Done
        > E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
        >
        > I have sources in apt package manager, maybe the one I need is missing?
        >
        > Tried the ./configure--enable -hamlib
        > error message no such package. I have hamlib3 installed.
        > amd hamlib3.dev also.
        >
        > Jerry - K0HZI
        >

        > -
        > -- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
        >
        >>Jerry W wrote:
        >>
        >>>I compiled gMFSK from Version 0.7hkj-48 for Mepis 6.0 beta 2 today.
        >>>
        >>>I there a way to get all depends installed before ./configure?
        >>>I had two depends, one was the FFTW library and some gnome library.
        >>>
        >>>Basicly gMFSK works, but have problems with PTT keying the rig.
        >>>KPSK works with /dev/ttyS1, set gMFSK the same, but no keying of the
        >>>PTT. Any ideas?
        >>>
        >>>The Mepis 6.0 beta 2 is a new install, I did not use the old "home"
        >>>directory on new install. I know gMFSK worked on the 3.4.4 version of
        >>>Mepis, the PTT was configured for /dev/ttyS1. Do I need to go into
        >>>the directory as root and give permission for usr/ttyS1 read and
        >
        > write?
        >
        >>>Also there was a way I used hamlib and could have CAT control of my
        >>>Kenwood TS-2000 before with gMFSK, but forgot how I did that, HI.
        >>>
        >>>TIA,
        >>>
        >>>Jerry - K0HZI
        >>>

        >>Jerry,
        >>
        >>apt-get build-dep gmfsk
        >>
        >>./configure--enable -hamlib
        >>
        >>You might also need fftw-dev and libgnomeui2.
        >>
        >>Is PTT not working?.
        >>
        >>HTH
        >>
        >>Ed W3NR

        Jerry, try ./configure --enable-hamlib. See if that doesn't work better.
        Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list here, hopefully Dave won't mind
        the extra bandwidth.

        Ed W3NR
      • David Freese
        Message 3 of 14 , May 12, 2006
          Good morning Ed,

          I've been busy caring for my xyl after her return home from hip
          surgery, so haven't had a chance to be involved in the discussions
          with Jerry. I'm glad that you stepped in to help him. You probably
          have the best credenials to help after you conquored the install
          problems on your own setup. Please DO continue to use the forum as a
          way to communicate. That way everyone benefits from the discussion
          and the solutions.

          Dave
        • Jerry W
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12, 2006
            OK Ed and Dave,

            Like a dummy I installed Kunbuntu - KDE version of Ubuntu over Mepis
            last night. I had lots of issues with that distro as they don't
            require one to use a root password when installing programs, you use
            "sudo" instead, but was very difficult to use. I will reinstall Mepis
            this afternoon.

            Mepis 6.0 beta 2 has the most recent kernal and also is built on
            Ubuntu but uses the KDE desktop. http://www.mepis.org/

            What distro's is everyone else using? Maybe Dave can make up a poll
            with all the "popular" ones and have the group members choose the one
            they are using? Post the results say in a week?

            73,

            Jerry - K0HZI

            Jerry, try ./configure --enable-hamlib. See if that doesn't work better.
            Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list here, hopefully Dave won't mind
            the extra bandwidth.

            Ed W3NR
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 14 , May 12, 2006
              Jerry W wrote:

              > What distro's is everyone else using?

              Mandriva 2006 here, but gMFSK has worked well for years on any
              Mandrake/Mandriva release.

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
            • edw3nr
              Message 6 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "David Freese" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                > Good morning Ed,
                >
                > I've been busy caring for my xyl after her return home from hip
                > surgery, so haven't had a chance to be involved in the discussions
                > with Jerry. I'm glad that you stepped in to help him. You probably
                > have the best credenials to help after you conquored the install
                > problems on your own setup. Please DO continue to use the forum as
                > way to communicate. That way everyone benefits from the discussion
                > and the solutions.
                >
                > Dave

                Dave, thanks for the go ahead. I have found answers many times on
                completed discussions as we all have. Its a lot easier on a newbie.

                I sympathize with the caretaker duties, my wifw has had 5 heart
                procedures over the past 10 years. It takes about all of your time.

                Ed W3NR
              • edw3nr
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12, 2006

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn@...> wrote:

                    > OK Ed and Dave,
                    >
                    > Like a dummy I installed Kunbuntu - KDE version of Ubuntu over
                    Mepis
                    > last night. I had lots of issues with that distro as they don't
                    > require one to use a root password when installing programs, you
                    use
                    > "sudo" instead, but was very difficult to use. I will reinstall
                    Mepis
                    > this afternoon.
                    >
                    > Mepis 6.0 beta 2 has the most recent kernal and also is built on
                    > Ubuntu but uses the KDE desktop. http://www.mepis.org/
                    >
                    > What distro's is everyone else using? Maybe Dave can make up a
                    poll
                    > with all the "popular" ones and have the group members choose the
                    one
                    > they are using? Post the results say in a week?

                    I use Libranet3 and Debian testing. U(K)buntu is also a good choice,
                    except for the sudo, until you get used to it, also it takes a
                    workaround to get a root account. I would tend to shy away from a
                    Beta version OS, but Linux means choice.

                    Get your desktop going, and then we can go from there. We need to
                    know how you are keying the PTT, serial port, usb port?. Take the
                    time to thoroughly read Dave's docs on installing .48. It will bite
                    you if you don't, as I had to learn myself.

                    Also what your source.list contains will also be of help. Keeps us
                    posted.

                    Ed W3NR
                  • Jerry W
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                      Here is my apt sources list:

                      # See sources.list(5) for more information
                      # This file should be edited through synaptic
                      # MEPIS improvements and overrides, the MEPIS magic
                      deb http://apt.mepis.org/6.0/ mepis main
                      # Ubuntu foundation packages
                      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted
                      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted
                      deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-security main restricted
                      # Packages from Debian
                      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe
                      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
                      # Penguin Liberation Front packages not available elsewhere
                      # deb ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/ breezy
                      free non-free

                      TIA,

                      Jerry - K0HZI

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                        OK I have reinstalled Mepis 6.0 beta 2.

                        With Synaptic pakcage manager installed hamlib3, hamlib3++c2,
                        hamlib-perl, hamlib3-tcl, hamlib3-dev, hamlib++del, hamlib-doc, hamlib
                        utils, python2.3-hamlib3, sgcontrol, xlog, the fftw stuff.
                        then after untaring ./configure --enable-hamlib
                        All went well no depends or errors.

                        When gMFSK started and did the Settings, Preferances, PTT selected
                        /dev/ttyS1 - RTS. Clicked the bar "Test PTT", PTT keyed my interface.
                        But when running gMFSK and press the TX button no PTT key or using a
                        macro <TX> it dowes not key PTT. The CAT is working even the frequecy
                        display on the waterfall, that uses /dev/ttyS0.

                        Using KPSK and PTT set to /dev/ttyS1, I see no place to set RTS or
                        DTR, but it keys KPSK PTT. On all my Windows programs Com2 RTS is PTT.

                        Any suggestions as to a fix?

                        TIA,

                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                          Jerry W wrote:
                          > OK I have reinstalled Mepis 6.0 beta 2.
                          >
                          > With Synaptic pakcage manager installed hamlib3, hamlib3++c2,
                          > hamlib-perl, hamlib3-tcl, hamlib3-dev, hamlib++del, hamlib-doc, hamlib
                          > utils, python2.3-hamlib3, sgcontrol, xlog, the fftw stuff.
                          > then after untaring ./configure --enable-hamlib
                          > All went well no depends or errors.
                          >
                          > When gMFSK started and did the Settings, Preferances, PTT selected
                          > /dev/ttyS1 - RTS. Clicked the bar "Test PTT", PTT keyed my interface.
                          > But when running gMFSK and press the TX button no PTT key or using a
                          > macro <TX> it dowes not key PTT. The CAT is working even the frequecy
                          > display on the waterfall, that uses /dev/ttyS0.
                          >
                          > Using KPSK and PTT set to /dev/ttyS1, I see no place to set RTS or
                          > DTR, but it keys KPSK PTT. On all my Windows programs Com2 RTS is PTT.
                          >
                          > Any suggestions as to a fix?
                          >
                          > TIA,
                          >
                          > Jerry
                          >

                          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Here is my apt sources list:
                          >
                          > # See sources.list(5) for more information
                          > # This file should be edited through synaptic
                          > # MEPIS improvements and overrides, the MEPIS magic
                          > deb http://apt.mepis.org/6.0/ mepis main
                          > # Ubuntu foundation packages
                          > deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted
                          > deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted
                          > deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-security main restricted
                          > # Packages from Debian
                          > deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe
                          > deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
                          > # Penguin Liberation Front packages not available elsewhere
                          > # deb ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/ubuntu/plf/ breezy
                          > free non-free
                          >
                          > TIA,
                          >
                          > Jerry - K0HZI

                          Jerry, the souces.list look OK to me, maybe someone else will care to
                          comment. The only part that bothers me is you are mixing 2 different
                          Ubuntu versions. May never be a problem, but.....

                          OK, lets move on to the PTT issue. You did install .7pre1 and then
                          Dave's hacked version ?? Now open your file manager, go to the
                          gmfsk.hkj.48 folder, open the src folder and scroll down to the gmfsk
                          executable file. Probably a double click should start gmfsk.48. Try the
                          PTT and macros from there. Let us know the results. You did preface the
                          macros with a $tx ??? Also did you set the parameters in the
                          hkj.config.h before make ???

                          Ed W3NR

                          Don't give up....the fun is just starting
                        • Jerry W
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12, 2006
                            Ed,

                            I installed Dave's from source file without first installing 7pre1.

                            So what is the procedure now?

                            Thanks,

                            Jerry