Re: [linuxham] My Sad Trip.........Robert Farey

  • Matt Maguire
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
      If I received a mail like that from a British friend, alarm bells would certainly be ringing. It is written in American rather than British English, and it contains grammatical errors and turns of phrase that I wouldn't expect from any native speaker of English. Having said that, I am impressed that they managed to spell the word "they're" correctly -- even many native speakers would get that wrong :-)

      Overall, the whole message just seems somehow "off", and so seeking independent confirmation is a great idea. Careful using email though -- if your friends email account has been compromised, then the scammer could be the one responding to your check.

      One very good resource is to type the first sentence into Google, and see what hits you get:

      You'll then see clearly that this is a scam. Snopes.com is a good website for checking up on scams.

      73, Matt VK2ACL

      On 28/09/2012, at 10:37 PM, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

      Amazing, I received the same e-mail from a friend of mine in England on Facebook. I e-mailed him, and he was confused. Turns out his account was hacked. This is a SCAM.

      '73

      Eric
      KC7KLZ

      On 2012-09-28, at 12:45 AM, Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:

      <Admiral Ackbar> It's a trap! </Admiral Ackbar>

      Scam mail, ignore.

      Andy
      MM0FMF