PC board CAD program linux

  • Richard Dowty
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
      Hi guys:
      I was surfing the web and I came across a Linux program for Print Circuit board cad program. It is getting great reviews. The only thing is; It is not free. The name of the company is Eagle. I am sure some of you folks already know about it. The link is:
      http://www.cadsoftusa.com/

      If you are interested...
      Rich/W7EET
    • Craig Warnol
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
        What about the free version? http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
        From the CAD Soft page:

        The EAGLE Light Edition can be used for free!

        How do I get it?

        Follow these steps to install the free EAGLE Light Edition on your system:

        • Go to the Download area and get the file that contains the EAGLE program installation data for your operating system (Linux, Windows or Mac).
        • Install the file you have downloaded onto your system.
        • When you first start EAGLE, you will be asked whether you have a personalized license disk, or whether you want to run EAGLE as Freeware. To use the Freeware license select the “Run as freeware” button.

        Limitations

        The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:

        • The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
        • Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
        • The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

        Apart from these three limitations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

        The Freeware version of EAGLE Light adds these limitations:

        • Support is only available via email or through our forum (no fax or phone support).
        • Use is limited to non-profit applications or evaluation purposes.

        I use it all the time. Works great as long as you can make your boards no larger than 4 x 3.2 inches. I've been using it since about version 4.0. Looks like I need to upgrade. I'm still using ver 5.11 which came out Dec 2010.

        73,
        Craig (KB5UEJ)

      • Richard Dowty
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
          That is true; but only allows 4x6 boards and one side. The next grade up is much better and allows other modules to work with the main program.
          Rich/W7EET

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2012
            Eagle can even be installed (on Debian, probably also on ripoffs like Ubuntu) via "apt-get install eagle". It's in the "non-free" part of the "electronics" section, but it's there :-) If the size or number of layers of this Eagle demo is too limiting to you, then you may also try "kicad":

            That one is too in Debian, too.

            And one thing that I haven't tried out is geda, http://www.geda-project.org/

            Holger, DH3HS