Aw: Re: [linuxham] Converting Paper Radio Logs into Computer Radio Logs

  • Rein Couperus
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 4:42 AM
    Wrong...

    On Lubunutu 12.04 (precise):
    install libncurses-5.dev and libglib2.0-dev via synaptic
    untar tlf-1.1pre3.tar.gz
    cd tlf-1.1pre3
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

    see attached screen dump...

    73,

    Rein PA0R
    I am using Wheezy Debian and Ubuntu Precise and tlf doesn't work in either.

    DR

    On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...> wrote:

    Other than not being in the latest repositories, I don't see why tlf wouldn't work in a recent version of Debian or Ubuntu (actually it is in Debian stable).  You could always build it from source.  I typically have used it from a virtual console, but with my current video card, the largest font I can get to work is still too small for my old eyes, but a terminal app will give me the ability to use a readable font.

    73,
    Bob, N7XY
    _____
    Licensed since 1952
    N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

    <*> To change settings via email:
        linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
        linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  • Thomas Beierlein
    Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 7:03 AM
      Actual version of TLF is tlf-1.1.2 now and you can download it from
      https://github.com/downloads/Tlf/tlf/tlf-1.1.2.tar.gz

      Actual development repository can be found on github (see
      https://github.com/Tlf/tlf) for newest code.

      To keep all of you informed about future development I will anounce
      releases also here on the list.

      73, de Tom DL1JBE.

      Am Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:10:07 +0200 (CEST)
      schrieb "Rein Couperus" <rein@...>:

      > A new prerelease version of TLF is available at:
      >
      > http://www.staff.hs-mittweida.de/~tb/tlf-1.1pre3.tar.gz
      >
      > this is work done by Thomas Beierlein, DL1JBE who is presently
      > maintaining the program.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Rein PA0R
      >

      > Hi the issue with tlf is that the version in the repository is very
      > old. There now a new version available. I think it can be found by
      > the "ham linux" site. This version does work ok. I will try and find
      > a link to it but the author is often on this group.
      >
      > Regards from
      > Graham Saville
      > On Aug 8, 2012 5:17 AM, "Bob Nielsen" <n7xy@...> wrote:
      >
      > On Aug 7, 2012, at 7:14 PM, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I've used some logging programs, but I usually use paper logs as it
      > > suits my Morse mostly, AM/SSB modes thinly, and RTTY/PSK rarely
      > > mode use.
      > >
      > > I used to use tlf in console which I believe was very easy to use.
      > > If I remember correctly - and I cannot install tlf in the current
      > > versions of Debian or Ubuntu, so this is from memory, I entered
      > > first the call sign, then tab to the mode and frequency and then
      > > RST yours and mine and then qth and name.
      > >
      > > Very similar to paper log books.
      > >
      > > Does any Linux program offer this type of use? Some of the logging
      > > programs won't let you change the date which means I cannot make
      > > logs easily for my old coffee stained 1965 log books that should be
      > > digitized :-)
      > >
      > > Maybe a useful feature would be to have a logging program output to
      > > such a screen for date input.
      > >

      > Other than not being in the latest repositories, I don't see why tlf
      > wouldn't work in a recent version of Debian or Ubuntu (actually it is
      > in Debian stable). You could always build it from source. I
      > typically have used it from a virtual console, but with my current
      > video card, the largest font I can get to work is still too small for
      > my old eyes, but a terminal app will give me the ability to use a
      > readable font.
      >
      > 73,
      > Bob, N7XY
      > _____
      > Licensed since 1952
      > N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

      "Do what is needful!"
      Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
      --
    • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
      Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8 7:36 AM
        Thomas,

        Will tlf run under cygwin?  if not, Windows users are really missing a great program.

        DR

        =30=

        schrieb "Rein Couperus" <rein@...>:

        > A new prerelease version of TLF is available at:
        >
        > http://www.staff.hs-mittweida.de/~tb/tlf-1.1pre3.tar.gz
        >
        > this is work done by Thomas Beierlein, DL1JBE who is presently
        > maintaining the program.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Rein PA0R
        >

        > Hi the issue with tlf is that the version in the repository is very
        > old. There now a new version available. I think it can be found by
        > the "ham linux" site. This version does work ok. I will try and find
        > a link to it but the author is often on this group.
        >
        > Regards from
        > Graham Saville
        > On Aug 8, 2012 5:17 AM, "Bob Nielsen" <n7xy@...> wrote:
        >
        > On Aug 7, 2012, at 7:14 PM, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I've used some logging programs, but I usually use paper logs as it
        > > suits my Morse mostly, AM/SSB modes thinly, and RTTY/PSK rarely
        > > mode use.
        > >
        > > I used to use tlf in console which I believe was very easy to use.
        > > If I remember correctly - and I cannot install tlf in the current
        > > versions of Debian or Ubuntu, so this is from memory, I entered
        > > first the call sign, then tab to the mode and frequency and then
        > > RST yours and mine and then qth and name.
        > >
        > > Very similar to paper log books.
        > >
        > > Does any Linux program offer this type of use?  Some of the logging
        > > programs won't let you change the date which means I cannot make
        > > logs easily for my old coffee stained 1965 log books that should be
        > > digitized :-)
        > >
        > > Maybe a useful feature would be to have a logging program output to
        > > such a screen for date input.
        > >

        > Other than not being in the latest repositories, I don't see why tlf
        > wouldn't work in a recent version of Debian or Ubuntu (actually it is
        > in Debian stable).  You could always build it from source.  I
        > typically have used it from a virtual console, but with my current
        > video card, the largest font I can get to work is still too small for
        > my old eyes, but a terminal app will give me the ability to use a
        > readable font.
        >
        > 73,
        > Bob, N7XY
        > _____
        > Licensed since 1952
        > N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

        "Do what is needful!"
        Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
            linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bob Nielsen
        Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8 9:07 AM
          I just installed it from source on Xubuntu 12.04 (Precise) and it compiled and runs without any issues.

          73, Bob

          Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8 12:50 PM
            Hi,

            I have not tested it under cygwin. Sorry.

            I am not sure if it makes sense to rival with classical DOS/Windows
            contest loggers like CT, TRLog, N1MM or others.

            But anyway, if anyone will try it under cygwin and needs support - just
            let me know. I will try to help.

            73, de Tom DL1JBE.

            --
            "Do what is needful!"