Re: Acer One (Linpus Lite) and Fldigi etc.

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
      Posted by: "w1hkj" w1hkj@... w1hkj

      Hi Dave,

      When you get tired of that cramped keyboard try using a USB
      Keyboard/Mouse combo. And plug in an external monitor. It will make
      that
      netbook think it's one of the big dogs. My big fat fingers do better on
      the external keyboard when I'm testing things on the Lenovo S10 netbook.
      I've even taken it to church and plugged it in to the projection system.
      Linux on a 12 x 16 foot screen ... that's a hoot.

      Holy Penguin! (or similar....)

      Hi Dave (too many of us!)

      Yes, I've done that trick with many a laptop (external keys-n-rat) when
      I've had to spend "Lots" of time with something while away from base. A
      "Real" mouse in particular is a real boon, not so much the keyboard, but
      it's a personal thing too. I do have a little 12" VGA screen, also 12V
      powered, so there is an option for an alternative fitting scheme.

      For what I intend using it for, it's ideal in it's "small" format. Plus,
      it only sucks about 1A from my vehicle supply, via a DC/DC converter,
      even when running Fldigi etc. MUCH less, than the near 3A other
      laptops/notebooks I have take. It's the 706 that's the power hogg now on
      RX. The above menitoned external screen, takes another 1.5A

      Now... If you can ever get the I/Q audio I/O working, true low power
      (requrements) portable operation can be done, with a simple SDR,
      something like the Ensamble. (??? That would also need Si570 support
      in Flrig.)

      (My Linux skills aren't yet up to getting Quisk or similar working, and
      routing audio hither and thither with Jack, and I'm not sure the little
      Acer would cope well doing all that either. Comments ?)

      73 Dave.

      Dave G0WBX.