Re: [linuxham] font type when compiling

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
      On 08/02/2012 10:10 AM, mike.k0ter wrote:
      system:  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
               Laptop computer

      Recently I noticed that when I compile any of the
      flxxx programs, the resulting font is less than
      desirable.  However, if I instead use the binary
      version, the font looks O.K.  With the binary
      version I do get an error message when issuing
      the --version option but the program(s) seem to
      work O.K.

      Dave told me I need to add some fonts to my system
      but I'm unsure how to do that.

      Any help appreciated.

      73, Mike, K0TER

      Did you build fltk-1.3.0 from source or use a repository pre-built?

      You may need to build from source and make sure that your configure includes:

        $ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-shared

      Dave
    • mike.k0ter
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012

        > On 08/02/2012 10:10 AM, mike.k0ter wrote:
        > > system: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
        > > Laptop computer
        > >
        > > Recently I noticed that when I compile any of the
        > > flxxx programs, the resulting font is less than
        > > desirable. However, if I instead use the binary
        > > version, the font looks O.K. With the binary
        > >
        > Did you build fltk-1.3.0 from source or use a repository pre-built?

        > You may need to build from source and make sure that your configure
        > includes:
        >
        > $ ./configure --enable-threads *--enable-xft* --enable-shared

        I did build fltk-1.3.0 from source and did use the above options
        when compiling.

        Mike, K0TER
      • mike.k0ter
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012

          > On 08/02/2012 11:10 AM, mike.k0ter wrote:
          > > system: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
          > > Laptop computer
          > >
          > > Recently I noticed that when I compile any of the
          > > flxxx programs, the resulting font is less than
          > > desirable.
          >
          > Try selecting the mono font. If it still does not look right, check and
          > see what version of fltk you are using. Needs to be 1.3. The 10.04
          > default fltk was 1.1.

          With some programs, such as flmsg, I don't see a way to
          select font.

          I have compiled and installed fltk-1.3.0.

          And again, when using the pre-compiled binaries for
          any of the programs, the font looks just fine; nothing
          to change.

          Thanks and 73,

          Mike, K0TER

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
            With some programs, such as flmsg, I don't see a way to select font. I have compiled and installed fltk-1.3.0. And again, when using the pre-compiled binaries for any of the programs, the font looks just fine; nothing to change.

            Thanks and 73, Mike, K0TER

            Mike,

            The pre-compiled binaries are built with the fltk libs statically linked in to the binary file.  I am guessing that you have more than one version of the fltk libs installed on your system.  Which Linux distro are you using?  Check in these directories for fltk libs:

            /usr/lib
            /usr/local/lib

            If you find fltk libs in both then it's a good bet that the /usr/lib one's are fltk-1.1 based.  If you're on a Debian based distro then use Synaptic to remove the offending fltk libs.  If RPM based then you probably need to use YAST2.  Then open a terminal and cd to the fltk-1.3.0 source directory.

            $ sudo make uninstall
            $ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-shared --enable static
            $ make
            $ sudo make install

            then cd to the fldigi source directory

            $ sudo make uninstall
            $ ./configure --enable-static
            $ make
            $ sudo make install

            And retest for font definition.  The fltk-1.3.0 library functions should now be statically linked the binary you just created.

            73, Dave, W1HKJ

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
              Don't overlook libfltk-dev. If you need to un-install 1.1

              Ed W3NR
            • mike.k0ter
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012

                > On 08/02/2012 10:10 AM, mike.k0ter wrote:
                > > system: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
                > > Laptop computer
                > >
                > > Recently I noticed that when I compile any of the
                > > flxxx programs, the resulting font is less than
                > > desirable.
                > >
                > Did you build fltk-1.3.0 from source or use a repository pre-built?
                >
                > You may need to build from source and make sure that your configure
                > includes:
                >
                > $ ./configure --enable-threads *--enable-xft* --enable-shared

                Dave, I found the problem. Somehow on this computer I had left
                off some of the -dev applications including libxft-dev. There
                were a couple others, too, I believe libpng-dev and libxext-dev.

                After adding those, uninstalling and re-compiling fltk, fldigi
                and flmsg, the fonts are great and look just as they did
                in earlier versions.

                I suspect I did something wrong with the change from fltk 1.1.0
                to 1.3.0.

                Thanks for your help.

                73, Mike, K0TER