Fldigi, Flrig, etc. on Ubuntu 12.04 - Success

  • k4tql
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2012
      Compiled Fldigi, Flrig, Fllog, Flmsg, Flwrap on Ubuntu 12.04 with no problems following the instructions given in this forum. I'm using the Mate' interface because I like the old fashioned and, I think, simpler and more intuitive look. It was necessary to add my user id to the dialout group to gain access to the serial port. I'm using a USB CT-17 interface for cat control and a Creative Audigy SE soundcard for audio interface. The rig interface is an MFJ 1278. I use a serial port for PTT control for safety's sake. The rigs to be used include an Icom 756 Pro and an Icom 706Mk2g.

      One glitch I've found in Flrig is if you use cat control for PTT and inadvertently close flrig while the transmitter is keyed, it STAYS keyed. Restarting flrig reconnects to the rig OK but does not reset PTT. It still stays in PTT until you cycle the PTT control ... hence the use of hardware control for PTT.

      Suggestion: include in the start-up and shutdown routines for connecting to and disconnecting to the rig a signal to drop PTT. I looked at the code but my programming skills are extremely rusty and I couldn't figure out how to do it in the rig definition code. I probably missed something. Still, it would be good to drop the rig out of transmit when connecting and disconnecting. If you have to restart the PC because of a hang up, re-starting fldigi will reset the rig.

      Bruce, K4TQL

      dar dididit