Notes on compiling fldigi and flrig on Linux Mint 13.

  • Michael P. (Jug) Jogoleff - WA6MBZ
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi All,
      .
      After playing with SUSE Linux and a pre-packaged set of fl- programs,
      I decided it was time to try Linux Mint 13 , and of course, to try
      installing fldigi and flrig for starters.
      .
      As you might expect, I ran into a number of problems, for it turns
      out that with Linux Mint, you need more than the typical dependencies.
      I will try and go through my list and explain what I found out.

      First of all, you need to know about
      apt-cache search <filename>
      which will help you find programs that may have different names
      than you might expect, and also for alternate versions and so
      forth.
      .
      You simply type in that sequence plus a filename and get back a
      good deal of info.
      .
      You use "apt-get install" <filename> so as to install most of the
      programs.  For a number of the programs, for instance, fltk,
      portaudio, hamlib, and samplerate, you can go to the web to find
      the latest versions and compile them separately.  Some of them
      even have nightly updates!
      .
      I only mention this because SUSE Linux uses "zypper" as their
      equivalent command.
      .
      Here is my list:
      apt-get install autoconf
      apt-get install automake
      apt-get install gettext gettext-base
      apt-get install libportaudio2 libportaudiocpp0
      apt-get install libhamlib-dev
              installs libhamlib2, libusb-dev, libhamlib++-dev
      apt get install libhamlib-utils
      apt-get install grig
              interesting on screen controller program.
      apt-get install libasound2-plugins
      apt-get install libsamplerate0
      apt-get install libsamplerate0-dev
      apt-get install libpng12-0
      apt-get install libpng12-dev
      apt-get install pkg-config
      apt-get install libx11-dev
                      These last four are necessary in Linux Mint
                      before fltk and fldigi will make it through
                      the ./configure command's tests.
      apt-get install fltk1.1
      apt-get install fltk1.1-dev

      Upon doing apt-get install fltk1.1, I got the following:
      "
      Note, selecting 'fltk1.1-games' for regex 'fltk1.1'
      Note, selecting 'fltk1.1-doc' for regex 'fltk1.1'
      Note, selecting 'libfltk1.1-dbg' for regex 'fltk1.1'
      Note, selecting 'libfltk1.1-dev' for regex 'fltk1.1'
      Note, selecting 'libfltk1.1' for regex 'fltk1.1'
        libdrm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libkms1 libxext-dev
        mesa-common-dev x11proto-xext-dev
      Suggested packages:
        fluid libglu1-mesa-dev libglu-dev libjpeg-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev
      "
      .
        And after installing those as below, I did those immediately above, as well.
      .
      "
        fltk1.1-doc fltk1.1-games libdrm-dev libfltk1.1
        libfltk1.1-dbg libfltk1.1-dev
        libgl1-mesa-dev libkms1 libxext-dev
        mesa-common-dev x11proto-xext-dev
      "
      .
      At this point, I did a ./configure, a make, and a make install command
      for both fldigi and flrig.  They both ran without issue or error.
      They came up when I clicked on their shortcuts.
      The "font" of fldigi's main screen was kind of "thin" but it is usable.
      .
      The waterfall worked on fldigi after selecting the built-in sound card on
      my laptop.  So far, I have not tried either program with a rig and I have
      not set up any usergroups therewith.
      .
      So, this point I would welcome any comments or criticisms.
      .
      Special thanks  to S.
      .
      73 de "Jug", wa6mbz.

      ... 73 de 'Jug', WA6MBZ, DM04DK, wa6mbz@....
    • Holger Schurig
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
        Some hints:

        You can also use "apt-cache search --names-only BLAHFASEL". This will only search in the package name, not in the package descriptions as well.

        You don't need to install everything by itself, e.g. this ...

        apt-get install libsamplerate0
        apt-get install libsamplerate0-dev

        ... isn't necessary. Just entering the second is enought, because all -dev packages (needed for people that like to compile stuff by themselves) also loads the normal library.

        Also, apt-get ist a bit slow to start, so you can make loooooooong apt-get line with all of the above. But actually "apt-get install fldigi fldigi-dev" should load all stuff that is needed. Didn't you try that?  If you got problems, you should post a bug report onto either Mint, or Ubuntu (mint's base distribution) or Debian (Ubuntu's base distribution, which I happen to use).

        Another trick that I sometimes us is "apt-get build-deb fldigi". This should always work, because the package-autobuilders of the distributions also use that.