Re: Acer One (Linpus Lite) and Fldigi etc.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2012
      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Have you tried Fluppy or Puppee (derivatives of Puppy),
      > or Saluki?
      >
      > All three come from a developer who goes by the screen
      > name "Jemimah" - that person is brilliant with netbooks!
      >
      > Fluppy 013 was the last in the older series, not sure
      > about the versioning of Puppee, but many still use them on netbooks,
      > Saluki is the latest project - targeted to newer (5 years or newer)
      > computers.
      >
      > I had Fluppy on netbooks when nothing else worked right.
      >
      > Just a thought.
      >

      > > Due to the other laptop that I had running Linux Mint or Ubuntu
      > > depending on what hard drive I had fitted, suffering terminal screen
      > > hinge failure, I've picked up one of the little Acer One's, for a
      > > very good price (less than 1/3rd the new cost) with 1G RAM, and 16G
      > > SSD, also another 8G expansion.
      > >
      > > I know this keeps cropping up, and I've looked in the message
      > > archives and found some of you have indeed got Fldigi working on the
      > > tiny Acer One, with the Linpus Lite OS.
      > >
      > > But just exactly how? Like blow by blow details please.
      > >
      > > Linpus is Fedora(8) based I believe, as a result, it's even more
      > > alien to me than Debian based systems, where I can just about find my
      > > way around without too much trouble.
      >

      > --
      >
      > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      > David Colburn nevils-station.com
      > I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
      > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

      Hi.

      Sorry, but no I didn't try Puppy, or Fluppy, though I have used Pup' before on older machines. I still have an older laptop somewhere with it loaded, but it's barely got the grunt to run Fldigi and PSK31, let alone anything else. When it had W98 on it, it used to run Digipan a treat, but I wanted other modes.

      At present, I have Fldigi/Flrig working well on this little Acer One, that now runs Lubuntu, that I'm actually using do to this via the web (because I can't be bothered to go get my portable hard drive with the email on!)

      Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

      73.

      Dave G0WBX.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        When you get tired of that cramped keyboard try using a USB
        Keyboard/Mouse combo. And plug in an external monitor. It will make
        that netbook think it's one of the big dogs. My big fat fingers do
        better on the external keyboard when I'm testing things on the Lenovo
        S10 netbook. I've even taken it to church and plugged it in to the
        projection system. Linux on a 12 x 16 foot screen ... that's a hoot.

        Dave
      • Dave B
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
          Posted by: "w1hkj" w1hkj@... w1hkj

          Hi Dave,

          When you get tired of that cramped keyboard try using a USB
          Keyboard/Mouse combo. And plug in an external monitor. It will make
          that
          netbook think it's one of the big dogs. My big fat fingers do better on
          the external keyboard when I'm testing things on the Lenovo S10 netbook.
          I've even taken it to church and plugged it in to the projection system.
          Linux on a 12 x 16 foot screen ... that's a hoot.

          Holy Penguin! (or similar....)

          Hi Dave (too many of us!)

          Yes, I've done that trick with many a laptop (external keys-n-rat) when
          I've had to spend "Lots" of time with something while away from base. A
          "Real" mouse in particular is a real boon, not so much the keyboard, but
          it's a personal thing too. I do have a little 12" VGA screen, also 12V
          powered, so there is an option for an alternative fitting scheme.

          For what I intend using it for, it's ideal in it's "small" format. Plus,
          it only sucks about 1A from my vehicle supply, via a DC/DC converter,
          even when running Fldigi etc. MUCH less, than the near 3A other
          laptops/notebooks I have take. It's the 706 that's the power hogg now on
          RX. The above menitoned external screen, takes another 1.5A

          Now... If you can ever get the I/Q audio I/O working, true low power
          (requrements) portable operation can be done, with a simple SDR,
          something like the Ensamble. (??? That would also need Si570 support
          in Flrig.)

          (My Linux skills aren't yet up to getting Quisk or similar working, and
          routing audio hither and thither with Jack, and I'm not sure the little
          Acer would cope well doing all that either. Comments ?)

          73 Dave.

          Dave G0WBX.