Re: [linuxham] DominoEX

  • Bill, W6WRT
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2012
      ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
      On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:04:41 +0100, Brian wrote:

      >http://w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/configDomEX.html
      >
      >It appears that if this is empty it defaults to the callsign set on the
      >Operator tab.

      REPLY:
      Thanks Brian. I really need to read the ENTIRE help file. :-)

      73, Bill W6WRT
    • John Phelps
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 18, 2012
        Overly-technical explanation to the question posted here:  :)

        --> Question:
        In the manual it says "The text displayed in the status area is the secondary
        text being sent by the transmitting station. When the keyboard buffer is empty
        the DominoEX and THOR modems transmit text from the secondary text buffer.

        And I'm curious why this feature is there in the first place. Could it be a
        "place holder" to show the channel is occupied? I can see where commercial
        stations might want this but what good is it for hams?

        --> Answer:
        Both the DominoEX and THOR modems are "synchronous" type modems.
        What this means is that even when you stop typing... the modem continues transmitting anyways to keep proper synchronization.
        In order to keep synchronization something valid has to be transmitted, and usually for modems this is the <NULL> or <SYN> character.
           Note: Neither NULL or SYN are printable... so even though FLDIGI receives them, no text is printed to the screen.

        DominoEX and THOR instead use this "secondary text" to keep synchronization and as an added benefit can send useful information instead of just <NULL> characters when keeping synchronization.

        ~ John Phelps
        KL4YFD

        On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

        I've never operated DominoEX but I'm wanting to try.

        In the manual it says "The text displayed in the status area is the secondary
        text being sent by the transmitting station. When the keyboard buffer is empty
        the DominoEX modem transmits text from the secondary text buffer. Your
        secondary text buffer can be edited on the DominoEX configuration tab."

        Can't for the life of me find the DominoEX configuration tab. I've looked
        through everything on the configuration drop down menu and perhaps I missed it,
        or is it found somewhere else?

        And I'm curious why this feature is there in the first place. Could it be a
        "place holder" to show the channel is occupied? I can see where commercial
        stations might want this but what good is it for hams?

        Many thanks,

        73, Bill W6WRT