Re: [linuxham] change dual-boot order

  • Creede Lambard
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
      On 07/06/2012 01:45 PM, Ed wrote:

      Didn't even know that Joe was still around.

      Yep, the community adopted it after the original author dropped it. I've been using it for as long as I've been using Linux.

      I do an automatic daily backup to an external HD. Actually a person
      could easily use a thumb drive.

      You could if the thumb drive was big enough. Doing both might not be a bad idea, so you have the very most important files (e.g. project files for work) on the thumb drive and everything else on the external HD.

    • ki6njf
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012

        sorry for the top posting, Kontact seems to be forcing it today.

        In the directory /etc/grub.d/ you will find these files (kubuntu ymmv):

        00_header 05_debian_theme 10_linux 20_linux_xen 20_memtest86+

        30_os-prober 40_custom 41_custom README

        cd to that directory and copy the 30_os-prober to 06_os-prober -

        sudo cp 30_os-prober 06_os-prober

        then

        sudo update-grub

        you will now have the windows boot as the first and last menu items and kernel updates will not bugger that. You could also just

        sudo mv 30_os-prober 06_os-prober

        if you only want windows at the top.

        73s

        jim

        ki6njf

        On Friday, July 06, 2012 10:33:56 AM you wrote:

        Since you're using Ubuntu, instead of changing /boot/grub/grub.cfg you should edit /etc/default/grub and change the line that says

        GRUB_DEFAULT=0

        [snip]

        There's one more gotcha, though. After you do a kernel update, you may have to change the number in the GRUB_DEFAULT line again because grub has added a couple more entries to its menu above the Windows line. Otherwise you could end up booting into something like memtest, which everyone including you will hate. Just add two to whatever's there, run "sudo update-grub" and everything should be fine.

        73, Creede

        --

        No nation has a monopoly on good things. Each one has something that the others could well afford to adopt. - Will Rogers

      • Bob Nielsen
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
          On Jul 6, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:

          > On 07/06/2012 12:49 PM, Ed wrote:
          >

          >> I normallly use Nano,
          >>

          > I prefer joe, which like nano is a modeless editor. I'm not a big fan of vi, but I'm also not willing to start a flame war about editors. :-)
          >> I still am very uncomfortable doing anything as
          >> root. It only takes one OOOPPPSSS.
          >
          > You should be, and that's why. The dictum "measure twice, cut once" applies to anything you do sudo root in Linux. This is also why we back everything up. Or are supposed to, anyway, and when we don't any unexpected excitement is our own darn fault.

          If you add the following to your ~/.bash_profile, nano will backup the original file:

          alias nano='/usr/bin/nano -B"

          IIRC, pico did this by default (for those with short memories, nano is an open-source clone of pico).

          Bob N7XY
          _____
          Licensed since 1952
          N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
            On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:58:07 -0700
            Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...> wrote:

            > If you add the following to your ~/.bash_profile, nano will backup
            > the original file:
            >
            > alias nano='/usr/bin/nano -B"
            >
            > IIRC, pico did this by default (for those with short memories, nano
            > is an open-source clone of pico).
            >
            > Bob N7XY
            > _____
            > Licensed since 1952
            > N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

            There is not a /.bash_profile in Ubuntu 12.04. Wonder if you could just
            create your own ? Or am I looking in the wrong place ?

          • Creede Lambard
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
              On 07/06/2012 02:18 PM, Ed wrote:

              There is not a /.bash_profile in Ubuntu 12.04. Wonder if you could just
              create your own ? Or am I looking in the wrong place ?

              You left off the tilde (home directory). It needs to be "~/.bash_profile", not "/.bash_profile".

              If you don't have a .bash_profile in your home directory I think you can just drop it into .bashrc instead. You should have one or the other.

              73, Creede
            • Bob Nielsen
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Ed wrote:

                > On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:58:07 -0700
                > Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...> wrote:
                >
                > > If you add the following to your ~/.bash_profile, nano will backup
                > > the original file:
                > >
                > > alias nano='/usr/bin/nano -B"
                > >
                > > IIRC, pico did this by default (for those with short memories, nano
                > > is an open-source clone of pico).
                > >
                > > Bob N7XY
                > > _____
                > > Licensed since 1952
                > > N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300
                >
                > There is not a /.bash_profile in Ubuntu 12.04. Wonder if you could just
                > create your own ? Or am I looking in the wrong place ?
                >
                > Ed W3NR

                Yes, I created my own. Looking at ~/.bashrc, it appears that a ~/.bash_aliases file is suggested for this purpose.

                Bob N7XY
              • Bob Nielsen
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                  On Jul 6, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:

                  > On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Ed wrote:
                  >
                  >> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:58:07 -0700
                  >> Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> If you add the following to your ~/.bash_profile, nano will backup
                  >>> the original file:
                  >>>
                  >>> alias nano='/usr/bin/nano -B"
                  >>>
                  >>> IIRC, pico did this by default (for those with short memories, nano
                  >>> is an open-source clone of pico).
                  >>>
                  >>> Bob N7XY
                  >>> _____
                  >>> Licensed since 1952
                  >>> N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300
                  >>
                  >> There is not a /.bash_profile in Ubuntu 12.04. Wonder if you could just
                  >> create your own ? Or am I looking in the wrong place ?
                  >>
                  >> Ed W3NR
                  >
                  > Yes, I created my own. Looking at ~/.bashrc, it appears that a ~/.bash_aliases file is suggested for this purpose.

                  Actually I was looking at a Debian installation which had .bash_profile (I didn't realize that Ubuntu had dropped it.) .bashrc has several aliases defined in Ubuntu.

                  Bob
                  _____
                  Licensed since 1952
                  N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300
                • kd0bjt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Grub-customizer is a graphical application that works well.  The hardest part is to get the PPA installed.
                    Instructions are on the site.
                    https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer/

                    Rich KD0RG
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, icra@... wrote:

                    > So....got Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed on my laptop to try out linux and see if there are good
                    > linux versions of the digital software I use. As I am not the only one that usses this laptop, did
                    > it dual-boot with Windows XP.
                    >
                    > Others that use it do not like that Ubuntu is the default in the boot grub...would like to edit
                    > grub so XP is the default.
                    >
                    > Any one know how to get this done?
                    >
                    > Just getting into this stuff....please be kind, understanding, and patience
                    >
                    > Mel
                    > N7OKL

                  • David A. Ranch
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
                      Oh my, why install an application and all that when probably a one line
                      change via a text editor will get things done in ten seconds?!

                      Mel, try this:

                      1. edit /boot/grub/grub.conf as the root user with your favorite editor
                      be it pico, vim, emacs, kate, whatever

                      2. In the top definition area, find the line:
                      --
                      default=0
                      --

                      This line means to boot the FIRST "title" stanza.

                      3. Count the number of stanzas starting from zero until you find the
                      Windows XP boot definition

                      4. Change the "default" line to reflect this XP stanza number, save the
                      file, and you're done.

                      Go ahead, reboot and assuming no user input is given, the machine should
                      boot into Windows automatically.

                      --David
                      KI6ZHD
                    • icra@galaxynet.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
                        I actually found an app that did what I really, really wanted to do.....

                        I used grub customizer by launchpad

                        It allowed me to move windows to the top of the list...that puts windows as 0 and linux as 1

                        It does a bunch of other things as well, but have not played with it yet to see what all it does

                        Thanks to every one for all the help

                        Also got some help from another list solving why Ubuntu 12.04LTS would not boot on that
                        laptop....broadcom wifi device was the problem.....had to interrupt the boot process and tell it
                        to ignore that device and add the drivers after it installed

                        Can give links to both if any one else needs them....

                        Now need to play around with linux and see if I can do the same digital and winlink stuff that I
                        use windows for.....

                        Mel
                        N7OKL