Re: [linuxham] fedora

  • Highlandham ,GM0CSZ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
      Fedora 17 works well , but with its Grub2 Beta bootloader  it cannot be installed on the same machine alongside the buntu family of distros .
      When booting the machine Fedora 17 boots but does not recognise the boot menu relevant to the Ubuntu et al distros on the same machine.

      Fedora 17 might be cutting edge ,but does not permit co-existence , ....as yet.

      Frank  GM0CSZ / KN6WH

      On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone;
      Fedora 17 is availiable.
      Rich/W7EET

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
        On 07/03/2012 03:49 PM, Highlandham ,GM0CSZ wrote:

        Fedora 17 works well , but with its Grub2 Beta bootloader  it cannot be installed on the same machine alongside the buntu family of distros .
        When booting the machine Fedora 17 boots but does not recognise the boot menu relevant to the Ubuntu et al distros on the same machine.

        Fedora 17 might be cutting edge ,but does not permit co-existence , ....as yet.

        Frank  GM0CSZ / KN6WH
        Sad ... a very early Fedora distro (when Red Hat first introduced RH) did some very nasty things to my multi-boot machine.  I had to rebuild my machine and RH has never seen me since.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
          On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:49:24 +0100
          "Highlandham ,GM0CSZ" <gm0csz@...> wrote:

          > Fedora 17 works well , but with its Grub2 Beta bootloader it cannot
          > be installed on the same machine alongside the buntu family of
          > distros . When booting the machine Fedora 17 boots but does not
          > recognise the boot menu relevant to the Ubuntu et al distros on the
          > same machine.
          >
          > Fedora 17 might be cutting edge ,but does not permit
          > co-existence , ....as yet.
          >
          > Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

          As root from a terminal

          update-grub

          see if that works

          Ed W3NR
        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
            On Tuesday, July 03, 2012 09:49:24 PM you wrote:
            > Fedora 17 works well , but with its Grub2 Beta bootloader it cannot be
            > installed on the same machine alongside the buntu family of distros .

            Sure it can...

            Simply have each distro install it's version of GRUB in the root sector of the
            boot partition for that distro and not the MBR.

            Then use a boot manager like XOSL or something else, if you want to keep
            Windows 7 happy and ise it's bootloader chaining capability use EasyBCD, and
            have the boot manager of choice chain to the partition that holds the distro
            that you want to boot, it then calls whatever bootloader the distro uses,
            GRUB, GRUB2, LiLo, Windows bootloader, whatever, and the OS loads as per
            normal.

            These are GUI boot managers so they are easy to manage when you change things
            around.

            It works flawless and no interaction in booting between distros or other
            operating systems.

            I never use GRUB in the MBR.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao