Re: [linuxham] re-formating a laptop,

  • Alan Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
      Gerald Bishop wrote:

      > Hi,All. Have a rather sticky problem. I set up Debian on a lap top and
      > now want to remove it. Have a disc with the factory cleaning program
      > on it ,but can't get the laptop to do the floppy drive. Far as I know
      > the floppy drive does work. Looked thru my books and can fine nothing
      > that seems to deal with this issue. If it were a desk-top,would just
      > put drive into to another machine and format it as a slave . This
      > being a lap-top ,makes it a lot harder,but no imposable. TKS,Jerry

      Hi Gerald,
      Check your CMOS setup on your laptop. I assume that you want to boot
      from a floppy in msdos, that way you will bypass Linux. Make sure your
      boot sequence starts with floppy drive first. Then you will be able to
      run your cleaning program if it is written for msdos.

      If you also have a CDROM drive in your laptop, make your CDROM the first
      boot device. Next download the following "live" CD: qparted-livecd
      0.3.4-8, which is the newest version and burn it if you have the
      capability on another machine. qparted has a nice graphical interface
      that makes it real easy to partition and re-format your hard drive if
      you don't like using fdisk in Linux or Windows.

      You can download the iso here:
      http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828

      Best 73,
      Alan