Re: Kachina CAT Version 1.0 posted

  • w3frg01
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006
      Dave,

      Tried out version 1.0 just a few minutes ago and alls working as
      advertised. However, when I try to save the frequency's that I've
      added, and go to save, there isn't a file like was available in the
      Beta versions, IE "default.arv".

      I created one and now when I select save, I then clk on the default
      file and then the "OK" highlights for use; else it stays
      unhighlighted.

      Congrats on your first official release (Linux and Windows) for the
      Kachina 505DSP Transceiver, you should be very proud of your
      accomplishments.

      Tom W3FRG

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "David Freese" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      > Out of beta test. But please report any problems that you have with
      > the program.
      >
      > You can also download a zipped Help directory for Windows. This
      > contains all of the on-line help html files for use locally.
      >
      > Dave (hkj)

    • Jon Maguire
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2006

        I'm happy to report that version 1.0 works on my old
        iron WinME PC. Looks pretty spiffy, I might add. It's
        certainly easier to change frequencies then the original.
        Excellent work.

        73... Jon W1MNK
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2006
          Hello Jon (W1MNk).

          Glad to hear that the program works fine on WinME. You are the first to
          make that report and it is a pretty significant one in fact. The
          program has been tested on Win2000, XP and 98, but not on ME before. I
          believe that Kachina sold the rig with a computer that had WinME
          installed so that means all of those units can use the KachinaCAT
          program if they want.

          Spiffy ... I guess that is a good way to describe the user interface.
          My goal was to put as much on the front panel as possible without making
          it cluttered. I wanted it to look clean and crisp with the controls
          easy to find.

          Do you use the Kachina for digital comms? It works great with the gmfsk
          modem program on Linux.

          73's Dave (hkj)
        • jhaynesatalumni
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2006
            Also working fine on Win95.
          • Jon Maguire
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2006

              Hi Dave,
              I haven't been on the air for ages due too job demands.
              It's so tough
              to make time for anything but work and family, that hobbies just fall by
              the wayside.
              I love to target shoot, but haven't been to the range in over a year!!
              I'm just going
              to boot strap myself back into my hobbies.

              To answer your question, I have an SCS PTC-II connected to the 505DSP, but
              haven't used it in a while. As a matter of fact, I have to download the
              terminal
              program for it, as I rebuilt this PC a year or more ago, and lost
              everything that
              was on it. I just got back from Best Buy where I picked up a Gateway
              Intel 940
              Dual Core PC, which will be used exclusively for Ham Radio. It has an
              integrated sound card, so I'll have to see how that works out. If it doesn't
              work well, I'll just add a Creative USB soundcard. Can you beleive that
              the GW PC had 7 USB ports and 3 Firewire ports!! I've never done
              soundcard digital before, so I'll have to get a RigBlaster. Normally I'd
              build
              an interface, but the ole eyes ain't what they used to be, and my
              arthritic hands
              are a real pain (literally).

              I was just looking at your Web site... gMFSK is only for Linux? If so, I
              may install
              VMWare on the PC, and put on a Linux distro. I have access to several.
              That would
              probably be a lot of fun. I really need to get Linux going anyways, as I
              work with AIX
              at work.

              So again, than you for the fantastic software. I'm going to spread the
              news to several
              friends who also own Kachinas. It's a great rig, and really undertated
              and misunderstood
              by the computer illiterate masses :-)

              73... Jon W1MNK

              PS Anyone have any comments on USB sound cards? Thanks.