Re: [linuxham] Re: Kachina CAT 0.950b posted

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
      Jon Maguire wrote:

      >I have an old P2 400Mhz box with the Kachina control head installed.
      >It runs WinME (barf!!!) What is a good Linux distribution for this old
      >iron? Since there is a Linux CAT for Kachina (thank you W1HKJ), I thought
      >I'd load Linux. Thanks for any suggestions.

      Hi Jon,

      What else can you tell me about the P2 400 Mhz computer? How much
      memory? Does it have a CDROM reader?

      Most recent Linux distributions, like Windows, require memory to make
      them run efficiently. Otherwise you find yourself with a swap box
      instead of a computer HI. But since this one has ME already on it I
      suspect that it must at least 128 Mg of RAM. How much HD do you have?
      Are you willing to completely reformat the HD to put on Linux? That is
      the easiest install. Making a dual boot system is not for the faint
      hearted or the first time Linux user.

      Before you go installing a complete Linux system I suggest that you
      download the Knoppix CD image and create a bootable CD that will allow
      you to test drive Linux on your system. That way you can see if the
      system will handle the new OS without killing WinME. Your CD reader
      will need to be a bootable device for this to work.

      The P2 400 MHz should be able to run the RedHat Fedora distribution. It
      can be obtained as an internet download, but also comes with some pretty
      nice intro to Linux books. Check out Amazon book store for those. The
      nice things about buying the book is that you have a good reference
      document on the distibution. Not all Linux distributions are the same,
      however the basic commands and user interface are nearly identical.

      If you have limited memory you might want to opt to use a minimal window
      manager. I happen to like IceWM as it does not need a lot of RAM to
      make it work. It is also fast and easy to configure.

      For info on all of the Linux distributions look at http://www.linuxiso.org/

      For info on window managers for Linux look at http://xwinman.org/

      Hope this helps a little.

      Dave (w1hkj)

      PS. you might want to try the Windows version of Kachina CAT. I have
      no idea if it will work on WinME. To my knowlegde no one has tested it
      on that OS.
    • Jon Maguire
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2006

        Hi Dave, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I've been up
        to my sweet cheeks with work. They actually expect me to do something :-)

        The PC has 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, CDROM, disketter and Zip drive.

        I have access to Fedora Core5 iso's. I also have Win2K. I need to get
        away from
        the Win (kick)ME!! It's awful.

        I could try VMWARE Express (free) and instal FC5 and Win2K? Let me know
        what you think. And many thanks for your help.

        73... Jon W1MNK