Re: [linuxham] Slightly off-topic -- WSJT / JT65?

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
      On Friday, June 01, 2012 07:24:51 PM you wrote:

      > Is there a Linux port of JT65-HF? If not, I do have older computers
      > around. I imagine I could install Windows XP on one, and run a separate
      > serial cable to that computer -- but that arrangement would require a
      > hitting the menu on the rig in order to switch between PC's. Would be
      > kind of interesting, though, to drive two PC's with the same rig.

      Yes there is.

      It needs a working Pulseaudio, though JT65-HS's detection of that is broke on
      OpenSUSE. Mandriva works fine.

      > (I feel like a bit like a Luddite with XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm
      > trying to avoid the Metro/Unity thing like the plague -- and I know I'm
      > not alone there.)

      Hence my using Mandriva for years and now moving to OpenSUSE. Nice, standard,
      stable, and as close or as far from the cutting edge as you want to take it.
      KDE 4.3.2 here.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
        j65-hf is available here:
        http://jt65.w6cqz.org/doc/jt65-hf.1.0.9.2.tar.gz

        It says in the pdf file in the tar.gz archive that it needs these files:

        fftw3
        portaudio2
        libgfortran3

        It also says it may need a font.

        The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
        For some reason this application "expires" in December 2012.

        73

        David N1EA
      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
          Er, KDE 4.8.3 here...

          Tired fingers.

          Rick
        • Sergey UB9OAF
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
            On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
            "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

            > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.

            Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just open the main window and freezes without any controls

            --
            Sergey UB9OAF <ub9oaf@...>
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
              On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
              > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
              >
              > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
              > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
              >
              > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
              > open the main window and freezes without any controls

              What does?

              WSJT or JT65-HF?

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
            • Creede Lambard
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                My guess is he's talking about JT65-HF, because (1) I can run WSJT 9.0 (built from scratch) on Ubuntu 12.04LTS with no problems whatsoever, and (2) when I try to run JT65-HF on the same machine I get exactly the symptoms he describes. (To be specific, if I run it under strace it draws the main frame with no text or controls and freezes waiting for a futex() call that never finishes. And no, beyond what I found in Wikipedia I don't know how futexes work.)

                73, Creede

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                  On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:06:33 -0400
                  Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                  > On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
                  > > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                  > >
                  > > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                  > > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                  > >
                  > > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
                  > > open the main window and freezes without any controls
                  >
                  > What does?
                  >
                  > WSJT or JT65-HF?

                  jt65-hf

                  --