Re: [linuxham] Slightly off-topic -- WSJT / JT65?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
      > 2. Dave can speak for himself on this one, but I remember seeing
      > somewhere that he wasn't interested in putting jt65 into fldigi
      > because it's not a keyboard-to-keyboard mode like the other modes
      > fldigi supports.
      Correct Creede. I've also avoided adding things like SSTV and several
      other requests. On the other hand one of the developers has added both
      WEFAX and SITOR capability to the experimental branch. If someone
      provided me with a working jt65 implementation for fldigi I would
      consider integrating the work into the production code.

      Dave
    • Creede Lambard
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
        That makes sense Dave. I would think it'd be kind of tough to implement jt-65 because there are so many things that are different about it - the time synchronization, the strict protocol requirements, etc.

        On the other hand, if anyone ever does put a jt-65 implementation together, I'll be more than happy to alpha test it.

        73, Creede

        On 06/01/2012 01:19 PM, w1hkj wrote:

        > 2. Dave can speak for himself on this one, but I remember seeing
        > somewhere that he wasn't interested in putting jt65 into fldigi
        > because it's not a keyboard-to-keyboard mode like the other modes
        > fldigi supports.
        Correct Creede. I've also avoided adding things like SSTV and several
        other requests. On the other hand one of the developers has added both
        WEFAX and SITOR capability to the experimental branch. If someone
        provided me with a working jt65 implementation for fldigi I would
        consider integrating the work into the production code.

        Dave

      • Paul Bramscher
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
          My rig has both USB and RS-232 serial outputs, though if I recall
          correctly you need to specify in a somewhat buried menu which output it
          will utilize at one time (not both).

          Is there a Linux port of JT65-HF? If not, I do have older computers
          around. I imagine I could install Windows XP on one, and run a separate
          serial cable to that computer -- but that arrangement would require a
          hitting the menu on the rig in order to switch between PC's. Would be
          kind of interesting, though, to drive two PC's with the same rig.

          (I feel like a bit like a Luddite with XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm
          trying to avoid the Metro/Unity thing like the plague -- and I know I'm
          not alone there.)

          73's
          --Paul

          On 6/1/2012 3:12 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:

          > Ha. I have an older machine than yours and I think it has serial ports.
          > Can't remember, it's been so long since I used 'em. :-)
          >
          > I'm running both fldigi and jt65-hf with a USB CAT cable for my FT-857,
          > and they both work fine. The real question is what kind of cable your
          > rig requires. If it requires an RS-232 cable, that's what you'll need to
          > use. If it can handle CAT control via a USB adapter like mine does,
          > that's the way to go.
          >
          > 73, Creede
          >
          > On 06/01/2012 01:01 PM, pfbram@... wrote:
          >

          >> When I get home, I'll take a look at the audio settings. Generally, I
          >> just let the OS pick the drivers it needs and if I hear audio --
          >> that's good enough for me (don't fix it if it's not broken). I don't
          >> think I've had sound issues on any other app. Linux philosophy is
          >> usually forgiving to its past. For example, people are still free to
          >> use 'vi' and old Fortran libraries for FFT if they so desire.
          >>
          >> PTT via serial would be an issue already (no serial ports on my PC).
          >> My PC is old, granted, but not that old. So is it possible to run it
          >> with a USB-to-serial adapter, or do you actually need to install a
          >> serial port card, and run a (second) legacy cable from the rig to the PC?
          >>
          >> -Paul Bramscher

        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
            On Friday, June 01, 2012 07:24:51 PM you wrote:

            > Is there a Linux port of JT65-HF? If not, I do have older computers
            > around. I imagine I could install Windows XP on one, and run a separate
            > serial cable to that computer -- but that arrangement would require a
            > hitting the menu on the rig in order to switch between PC's. Would be
            > kind of interesting, though, to drive two PC's with the same rig.

            Yes there is.

            It needs a working Pulseaudio, though JT65-HS's detection of that is broke on
            OpenSUSE. Mandriva works fine.

            > (I feel like a bit like a Luddite with XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm
            > trying to avoid the Metro/Unity thing like the plague -- and I know I'm
            > not alone there.)

            Hence my using Mandriva for years and now moving to OpenSUSE. Nice, standard,
            stable, and as close or as far from the cutting edge as you want to take it.
            KDE 4.3.2 here.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
          • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
              j65-hf is available here:
              http://jt65.w6cqz.org/doc/jt65-hf.1.0.9.2.tar.gz

              It says in the pdf file in the tar.gz archive that it needs these files:

              fftw3
              portaudio2
              libgfortran3

              It also says it may need a font.

              The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
              For some reason this application "expires" in December 2012.

              73

              David N1EA
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                Er, KDE 4.8.3 here...

                Tired fingers.

                Rick
              • Sergey UB9OAF
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                  On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                  "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

                  > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.

                  Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just open the main window and freezes without any controls

                  --
                  Sergey UB9OAF <ub9oaf@...>
                • Rick Kunath
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                    On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
                    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                    >
                    > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                    > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                    >
                    > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
                    > open the main window and freezes without any controls

                    What does?

                    WSJT or JT65-HF?

                    Rick Kunath, k9ao
                  • Creede Lambard
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                      My guess is he's talking about JT65-HF, because (1) I can run WSJT 9.0 (built from scratch) on Ubuntu 12.04LTS with no problems whatsoever, and (2) when I try to run JT65-HF on the same machine I get exactly the symptoms he describes. (To be specific, if I run it under strace it draws the main frame with no text or controls and freezes waiting for a futex() call that never finishes. And no, beyond what I found in Wikipedia I don't know how futexes work.)

                      73, Creede

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                        On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:06:33 -0400
                        Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                        > On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
                        > > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                        > >
                        > > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                        > > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                        > >
                        > > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
                        > > open the main window and freezes without any controls
                        >
                        > What does?
                        >
                        > WSJT or JT65-HF?

                        jt65-hf

                        --