Slightly off-topic -- WSJT / JT65?

  • pfbram
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
      I'm curious if anyone has tried to get WSJT working, and what success they had. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and a Kenwood TS-590S (via USB port) and have had very good luck with fldigi. I tried similar settings for sound device, etc. with WSJT and just couldn't get it working.

      So I present two questions to the group--

      1. Has anyone gotten it to work?
      2. Have the developers of fldigi considered adding JT65 as another mode?

      Thanks in advance & 73
      KD0KZE
      Paul Bramscher
      Circle Pines, MN
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
        On 06/01/2012 11:44 AM, pfbram wrote:
        > I'm curious if anyone has tried to get WSJT working, and what success
        > they had. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and a Kenwood TS-590S (via
        > USB port) and have had very good luck with fldigi. I tried similar
        > settings for sound device, etc. with WSJT and just couldn't get it
        > working.
        >
        > So I present two questions to the group--
        >
        > 1. Has anyone gotten it to work? 2. Have the developers of fldigi
        > considered adding JT65 as another mode?

        Yes, I have had WSJT and WSPR working natively in Linux for years.
        Currently using it on Mandriva 2011 and OpenSUSE 12.1. JT65-HF also runs
        in Mandriva but the Pulseaudio device detection fails on OpenSUSE with a
        properly configured and working Pulse setup.

        How bad is the Pulseaudio implementation on that old distro?

        And how well do you have Pulseaudio ALSA emulation setup, if you are
        trying to use that?

        Can you even compile WSJT?

        How far into this have you gotten? What Fortran compilers have you tried?

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
      • pfbram@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
          My Dell hardware is about 5-7 years old and the WSJT .deb installed without much trouble (though it dumped the directory into the system root).  I did need to bring down this package: libfftw3-3 (to handle the FFT work).  I don't see any reason to custom compile (not yet, anyway).  My Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is fully patched with updates, kernel and otherwise, and I prefer the interface and performance over Unity.  I'll likely switch to Debian in the not-distant future.

          I'm not at home right now, so can't go into the settings in-detail, but everything else about the sound on that machine works fine -- including fldigi.  Fldigi is using "USB Audio CODEC hw:2,0" for capture + playback, /dev/ttyUSB0.

          If this doesn't present any trouble for fldigi or any other of my applications, I'm inclined to think it isn't a problem with my hardware or linux distro.  It's either with my settings for WSJT or WSJT itself.  For example, I don't see any mechanism for rigcat or hamlib, so how does it communicate in general with the rig?

          Paul Bramscher / KD0KZE

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
            Comments inline...

            On 06/01/2012 12:25 PM, pfbram@... wrote:
            > My Dell hardware is about 5-7 years old and the WSJT .deb installed
            > without much trouble (though it dumped the directory into the system
            > root). I did need to bring down this package: libfftw3-3 (to handle the
            > FFT work). I don't see any reason to custom compile (not yet, anyway).
            > My Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is fully patched with updates, kernel and otherwise,
            > and I prefer the interface and performance over Unity. I'll likely
            > switch to Debian in the not-distant future.

            Yes. Fully patched to the bugfixed old versions of various apps,
            Pulseaudio being one of them. You do not have more stable and enhanced
            versions of the various apps and libs on that release, that newer
            releases do. Fully patched does not mean upgraded to the latest app or
            lib release. There have been an awful lot of improvements since the
            versions that you are running.

            > I'm not at home right now, so can't go into the settings in-detail, but
            > everything else about the sound on that machine works fine -- including
            > fldigi. Fldigi is using "USB Audio CODEC hw:2,0" for capture + playback,
            > /dev/ttyUSB0.

            That is an ALSA device so you must be running ALSA emulation run through
            the local Pulseaudio server. You should be running Pulse directly,
            including for Fldigi.

            > If this doesn't present any trouble for fldigi or any other of my
            > applications, I'm inclined to think it isn't a problem with my hardware
            > or linux distro.

            Does direct Pulseaudio sound I/O not work on that box?

            > It's either with my settings for WSJT or WSJT itself.
            > For example, I don't see any mechanism for rigcat or hamlib, so how does
            > it communicate in general with the rig?

            WSJT just gives you PTT via a serial port, WSPR has some rig control
            built in. JT65-HF has PTT via a serial port.

            So no hamlib rig control on WSJT.

            What's your problem with WSJT so far?

            Rick Kunath
          • pfbram@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
              When I get home, I'll take a look at the audio settings.  Generally, I just let the OS pick the drivers it needs and if I hear audio -- that's good enough for me (don't fix it if it's not broken).  I don't think I've had sound issues on any other app.  Linux philosophy is usually forgiving to its past.  For example, people are still free to use 'vi' and old Fortran libraries for FFT if they so desire.

              PTT via serial would be an issue already (no serial ports on my PC).  My PC is old, granted, but not that old.  So is it possible to run it with a USB-to-serial adapter, or do you actually need to install a serial port card, and run a (second) legacy cable from the rig to the PC?

              -Paul Bramscher

              > My Dell hardware is about 5-7 years old and the WSJT .deb installed
              > without much trouble (though it dumped the directory into the system
              > root). I did need to bring down this package: libfftw3-3 (to handle the
              > FFT work). I don't see any reason to custom compile (not yet, anyway).
              > My Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is fully patched with updates, kernel and otherwise,
              > and I prefer the interface and performance over Unity. I'll likely
              > switch to Debian in the not-distant future.

              Yes. Fully patched to the bugfixed old versions of various apps,
              Pulseaudio being one of them. You do not have more stable and enhanced
              versions of the various apps and libs on that release, that newer
              releases do. Fully patched does not mean upgraded to the latest app or
              lib release. There have been an awful lot of improvements since the
              versions that you are running.

              > I'm not at home right now, so can't go into the settings in-detail, but
              > everything else about the sound on that machine works fine -- including
              > fldigi. Fldigi is using "USB Audio CODEC hw:2,0" for capture + playback,
              > /dev/ttyUSB0.

              That is an ALSA device so you must be running ALSA emulation run through
              the local Pulseaudio server. You should be running Pulse directly,
              including for Fldigi.

              > If this doesn't present any trouble for fldigi or any other of my
              > applications, I'm inclined to think it isn't a problem with my hardware
              > or linux distro.

              Does direct Pulseaudio sound I/O not work on that box?

              > It's either with my settings for WSJT or WSJT itself.
              > For example, I don't see any mechanism for rigcat or hamlib, so how does
              > it communicate in general with the rig?

              WSJT just gives you PTT via a serial port, WSPR has some rig control
              built in. JT65-HF has PTT via a serial port.

              So no hamlib rig control on WSJT.

              What's your problem with WSJT so far?

              Rick Kunath

            • Creede Lambard

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                  Ha. I have an older machine than yours and I think it has serial ports. Can't remember, it's been so long since I used 'em. :-)

                  I'm running both fldigi and jt65-hf with a USB CAT cable for my FT-857, and they both work fine. The real question is what kind of cable your rig requires. If it requires an RS-232 cable, that's what you'll need to use. If it can handle CAT control via a USB adapter like mine does, that's the way to go.

                  73, Creede

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                    > 2. Dave can speak for himself on this one, but I remember seeing
                    > somewhere that he wasn't interested in putting jt65 into fldigi
                    > because it's not a keyboard-to-keyboard mode like the other modes
                    > fldigi supports.
                    Correct Creede. I've also avoided adding things like SSTV and several
                    other requests. On the other hand one of the developers has added both
                    WEFAX and SITOR capability to the experimental branch. If someone
                    provided me with a working jt65 implementation for fldigi I would
                    consider integrating the work into the production code.

                    Dave
                  • Creede Lambard
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                      That makes sense Dave. I would think it'd be kind of tough to implement jt-65 because there are so many things that are different about it - the time synchronization, the strict protocol requirements, etc.

                      On the other hand, if anyone ever does put a jt-65 implementation together, I'll be more than happy to alpha test it.

                      73, Creede

                      On 06/01/2012 01:19 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                      > 2. Dave can speak for himself on this one, but I remember seeing
                      > somewhere that he wasn't interested in putting jt65 into fldigi
                      > because it's not a keyboard-to-keyboard mode like the other modes
                      > fldigi supports.
                      Correct Creede. I've also avoided adding things like SSTV and several
                      other requests. On the other hand one of the developers has added both
                      WEFAX and SITOR capability to the experimental branch. If someone
                      provided me with a working jt65 implementation for fldigi I would
                      consider integrating the work into the production code.

                      Dave

                    • Paul Bramscher
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                        My rig has both USB and RS-232 serial outputs, though if I recall
                        correctly you need to specify in a somewhat buried menu which output it
                        will utilize at one time (not both).

                        Is there a Linux port of JT65-HF? If not, I do have older computers
                        around. I imagine I could install Windows XP on one, and run a separate
                        serial cable to that computer -- but that arrangement would require a
                        hitting the menu on the rig in order to switch between PC's. Would be
                        kind of interesting, though, to drive two PC's with the same rig.

                        (I feel like a bit like a Luddite with XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm
                        trying to avoid the Metro/Unity thing like the plague -- and I know I'm
                        not alone there.)

                        73's
                        --Paul

                        On 6/1/2012 3:12 PM, Creede Lambard wrote:

                        > Ha. I have an older machine than yours and I think it has serial ports.
                        > Can't remember, it's been so long since I used 'em. :-)
                        >
                        > I'm running both fldigi and jt65-hf with a USB CAT cable for my FT-857,
                        > and they both work fine. The real question is what kind of cable your
                        > rig requires. If it requires an RS-232 cable, that's what you'll need to
                        > use. If it can handle CAT control via a USB adapter like mine does,
                        > that's the way to go.
                        >
                        > 73, Creede
                        >
                        > On 06/01/2012 01:01 PM, pfbram@... wrote:
                        >

                        >> When I get home, I'll take a look at the audio settings. Generally, I
                        >> just let the OS pick the drivers it needs and if I hear audio --
                        >> that's good enough for me (don't fix it if it's not broken). I don't
                        >> think I've had sound issues on any other app. Linux philosophy is
                        >> usually forgiving to its past. For example, people are still free to
                        >> use 'vi' and old Fortran libraries for FFT if they so desire.
                        >>
                        >> PTT via serial would be an issue already (no serial ports on my PC).
                        >> My PC is old, granted, but not that old. So is it possible to run it
                        >> with a USB-to-serial adapter, or do you actually need to install a
                        >> serial port card, and run a (second) legacy cable from the rig to the PC?
                        >>
                        >> -Paul Bramscher

                      • Rick Kunath
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                          On Friday, June 01, 2012 07:24:51 PM you wrote:

                          > Is there a Linux port of JT65-HF? If not, I do have older computers
                          > around. I imagine I could install Windows XP on one, and run a separate
                          > serial cable to that computer -- but that arrangement would require a
                          > hitting the menu on the rig in order to switch between PC's. Would be
                          > kind of interesting, though, to drive two PC's with the same rig.

                          Yes there is.

                          It needs a working Pulseaudio, though JT65-HS's detection of that is broke on
                          OpenSUSE. Mandriva works fine.

                          > (I feel like a bit like a Luddite with XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm
                          > trying to avoid the Metro/Unity thing like the plague -- and I know I'm
                          > not alone there.)

                          Hence my using Mandriva for years and now moving to OpenSUSE. Nice, standard,
                          stable, and as close or as far from the cutting edge as you want to take it.
                          KDE 4.3.2 here.

                          Rick Kunath, k9ao
                        • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                            j65-hf is available here:
                            http://jt65.w6cqz.org/doc/jt65-hf.1.0.9.2.tar.gz

                            It says in the pdf file in the tar.gz archive that it needs these files:

                            fftw3
                            portaudio2
                            libgfortran3

                            It also says it may need a font.

                            The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                            For some reason this application "expires" in December 2012.

                            73

                            David N1EA
                          • Rick Kunath
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                              Er, KDE 4.8.3 here...

                              Tired fingers.

                              Rick
                            • Sergey UB9OAF
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                                On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                                "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

                                > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.

                                Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just open the main window and freezes without any controls

                                --
                                Sergey UB9OAF <ub9oaf@...>
                              • Rick Kunath
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                                  On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
                                  > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                                  >
                                  > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                                  > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                                  >
                                  > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
                                  > open the main window and freezes without any controls

                                  What does?

                                  WSJT or JT65-HF?

                                  Rick Kunath, k9ao
                                • Creede Lambard
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                                    My guess is he's talking about JT65-HF, because (1) I can run WSJT 9.0 (built from scratch) on Ubuntu 12.04LTS with no problems whatsoever, and (2) when I try to run JT65-HF on the same machine I get exactly the symptoms he describes. (To be specific, if I run it under strace it draws the main frame with no text or controls and freezes waiting for a futex() call that never finishes. And no, beyond what I found in Wikipedia I don't know how futexes work.)

                                    73, Creede

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                                      On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:06:33 -0400
                                      Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                                      > On Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:17:19 PM you wrote:
                                      > > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:46:34 -0400
                                      > >
                                      > > "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                                      > > > The file says it works with Ubuntu and "should" work with other distros.
                                      > >
                                      > > Which version of Ubuntu are you using? It doesn't work on my 12.04. Just
                                      > > open the main window and freezes without any controls
                                      >
                                      > What does?
                                      >
                                      > WSJT or JT65-HF?

                                      jt65-hf

                                      --