Re: [linuxham] fonts

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2012
      My error for coming in late on the discussion. Please let me know if you figure out
      how to change the fonts for the Call, Name, QTH etc. I did not think they could be
      changed by the user

      Dick

      On May 23, 2012, at 8:51 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Re: Digest Number 2221

      Posted by: "Dan Morris" dbm72941mo@...   navy26cwo4

      Tue May 22, 2012 2:49 pm (PDT)

      Well, Ed and another told me to go to Terminal but they did not realize I had an iMac and I'm not sure what difference that makes -- It is not the RX or TX areas I was asking about. I did those fonts you sent me and I've got those all set and they are pretty nice.

      The area I was wondering was the QSO data area -- The fields where the Call, Name, QTH, Notes, etc are. I thought there might be a way to increase those fonts but may not be able to because the fields look like they are not able to expand along with the font size ---

      Dan Morris KZ3T
      dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com

      On May 22, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Dick Kriss wrote:

      > On May 22, 2012, at 8:44 AM, linuxham@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
      >
      >> Re: fldigi
      >>
      >> Posted by: "Dan Morris" dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com navy26cwo4
      >>
      >> Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 pm (PDT)
      >>

      > Dan,
      >
      > Why are you messing around with terminal commands on a Mac? The standard fldigi fonts are too small and do not look right on a Mac. Just install the VeraSansMono. sit font I sent you on the Mac. The open fldigi and go to Configuration/ Colors & Fonts click on Rx/TX. Try the Rx font button and select Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold Oblique and size 18. Play around until you find an option you like.
      >
      > Dick AA5VU
      >
      > Back from Yoesmite Nat Park

    • Dan Morris
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2012
        Yea, I don't think so either -- Who do we make recommendations to for this program??

        Dan Morris  KZ3T
        dbm72941mo@...

        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2012
          Dan,

          You can change the default font which is used for all of the widgets (Windows speak - controls) that do not have specific font / font-size configuration items.  This is done via a command line switch.  Unfortunately OS-X does not make it easy to employ command line switches.  I do not understand why since the underlying BSD Unix does not prevent it.

          Are you running fldigi 3.21.42 ?  If you are then the executable is located at

          /Applications/fldigi-3.21.42.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi

          You can execute this from a command line as in

          /Applications/fldigi-3.21.42.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --help

          which will show you all of the command line switches available.

          The default font is Arial:12.  Try launching fldigi from the command line as in

          /Applications/fldigi-3.21.42.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --font Arial:14  or
          /Applications/fldigi-3.21.42.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --font Arial:16

          The widgets are not resized iaw with the font change.  The UI toolkit that is used in fldigi does not provide that type of facility.

          73, Dave, W1HKJ

          On 05/23/2012 09:04 AM, Dan Morris wrote:

          Yea, I don't think so either -- Who do we make recommendations to for this program??

          Dan Morris  KZ3T
          dbm72941mo@...

          On May 23, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Dick Kriss wrote:

          My error for coming in late on the discussion. Please let me know if you figure out

          how to change the fonts for the Call, Name, QTH etc. I did not think they could be
          changed by the user

          Dick

          On May 23, 2012, at 8:51 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          Re: Digest Number 2221

          Posted by: "Dan Morris" dbm72941mo@...   navy26cwo4

          Tue May 22, 2012 2:49 pm (PDT)

          Well, Ed and another told me to go to Terminal but they did not realize I had an iMac and I'm not sure what difference that makes -- It is not the RX or TX areas I was asking about. I did those fonts you sent me and I've got those all set and they are pretty nice.

          The area I was wondering was the QSO data area -- The fields where the Call, Name, QTH, Notes, etc are. I thought there might be a way to increase those fonts but may not be able to because the fields look like they are not able to expand along with the font size ---

          Dan Morris KZ3T
          dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com

          On May 22, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Dick Kriss wrote:

          > On May 22, 2012, at 8:44 AM, linuxham@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
          >
          >> Re: fldigi
          >>
          >> Posted by: "Dan Morris" dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com navy26cwo4
          >>
          >> Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 pm (PDT)
          >>

          > Dan,
          >
          > Why are you messing around with terminal commands on a Mac? The standard fldigi fonts are too small and do not look right on a Mac. Just install the VeraSansMono. sit font I sent you on the Mac. The open fldigi and go to Configuration/ Colors & Fonts click on Rx/TX. Try the Rx font button and select Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold Oblique and size 18. Play around until you find an option you like.
          >
          > Dick AA5VU
          >
          > Back from Yoesmite Nat Park

        • Dan Morris
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2012
            Dave -- Thanks for the info … I am running 3.21.41 and when I click on check for updates it tells me that I have the updated version so I don't have 3.21.42 ---

            Dan Morris  KZ3T
            dbm72941mo@...

            On May 23, 2012, at 10:40 AM, w1hkj wrote:

> [...]

            Dan Morris KZ3T
            dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com

            On May 22, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Dick Kriss wrote:

            > On May 22, 2012, at 8:44 AM, linuxham@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
            >
            >> Re: fldigi
            >>
            >> Posted by: "Dan Morris" dbm72941mo@roadrunn er.com navy26cwo4
            >>
            >> Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 pm (PDT)
            >>

            > Dan,
            >
            > Why are you messing around with terminal commands on a Mac? The standard fldigi fonts are too small and do not look right on a Mac. Just install the VeraSansMono. sit font I sent you on the Mac. The open fldigi and go to Configuration/ Colors & Fonts click on Rx/TX. Try the Rx font button and select Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold Oblique and size 18. Play around until you find an option you like.

          • Dan Morris
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2012
              Dave -- that did work just fine and the Arial font size 14 seems to do the trick -- If I go to 16 then it is a bit too big for the size of the data field.  Too bad the fields don't resize as we change the font size hihi --

              Brian, K5HFI -- I did get the font size change to work using Arial:14 -- You mentioned making an Alias that I can use???

              Thanks to all for the help --

              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2012
                On 05/23/2012 03:15 PM, Dan Morris wrote:

                Dave -- that did work just fine and the Arial font size 14 seems to do the trick -- If I go to 16 then it is a bit too big for the size of the data field.  Too bad the fields don't resize as we change the font size hihi --
                That would require some major rework of the UI library.  Not for the faint of heart (or DSP programmers :-) )

                Dave
              • Marty Hartwell
                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2012
                  Hi all
                  I use Linux Mint 11 and followed Ed's instructions and was able to
                  change the font size on my load. If, that is I understand the issue.
                  Something changed and it easier for me to read now. Sometimes if the
                  contrast is changed to something darker I can then read it better too.
                  Some of the emails I read in some digest modes lists the response is so
                  faint I have to really squint to try to read them.

                  Marty kd8bj