Interface cable/harness: Fldigi (Ubuntu 7.04) laptop and homebrew CW rig

  • tabazia
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
      I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 on top of VMware player and
      downloaded and installed and ran Fldigi (32bit without hamlib support).

      I would like to interface this laptop to a homebrew 20m CW rig. The
      rig simply has a headphone out jack and a key input jack (there is
      also a built in speaker).

      The laptop has all the standard mic in/line in inputs etc.

      Can someone recommend a cable/harness to attach my laptop to my rig
      for CW operation with Fldigi?

      Thanks...Tom/KB2ESE
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
        tabazia wrote:
        > I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 on top of VMware player and
        > downloaded and installed and ran Fldigi (32bit without hamlib support).
        >
        > I would like to interface this laptop to a homebrew 20m CW rig. The
        > rig simply has a headphone out jack and a key input jack (there is
        > also a built in speaker).
        >
        > The laptop has all the standard mic in/line in inputs etc.
        >
        > Can someone recommend a cable/harness to attach my laptop to my rig
        > for CW operation with Fldigi?
        >
        > Thanks...Tom/KB2ESE

        Tom, from the on-line help file

        Fldigi generates CW using AFCW (A2).

        AFCW, A2 is generated by tone insertion into a transceiver operating in
        either USB (preferred) or LSB mode. The actual transmitted signal will
        be at the USB carrier + the audio frequency, or the LSB carrier - the
        audio frequency. If fldigi is tracking and receiving a CW signal on the
        waterfall your transmitted signal will be exactly on the frequency of
        the other operator. The CW generated this way has a nearly ideal attack
        and decay time, controlled by the software modem.

        HTH

        Ed W3NR
      • Larry Levesque
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
          Sounds like it helps to explain he can't use his rig with fldigi.

          On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 20:00 -0400, Ed wrote:
          > tabazia wrote:
          > > I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 on top of VMware player and
          > > downloaded and installed and ran Fldigi (32bit without hamlib
          > support).
          > >
          > > I would like to interface this laptop to a homebrew 20m CW rig. The
          > > rig simply has a headphone out jack and a key input jack (there is
          > > also a built in speaker).
          > >
          > > The laptop has all the standard mic in/line in inputs etc.
          > >
          > > Can someone recommend a cable/harness to attach my laptop to my rig
          > > for CW operation with Fldigi?
          > >
          > > Thanks...Tom/KB2ESE
          > >

          > Tom, from the on-line help file
          >
          > Fldigi generates CW using AFCW (A2).
          >
          > AFCW, A2 is generated by tone insertion into a transceiver operating
          > in
          > either USB (preferred) or LSB mode. The actual transmitted signal
          > will
          > be at the USB carrier + the audio frequency, or the LSB carrier - the
          > audio frequency. If fldigi is tracking and receiving a CW signal on
          > the
          > waterfall your transmitted signal will be exactly on the frequency of
          > the other operator. The CW generated this way has a nearly ideal
          > attack
          > and decay time, controlled by the software modem.
          >
          > HTH

          Larry Levesque
          KA1VGM
          Cheshire County EC
          NHARES
        • tabazia
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
            Ed & Larry,

            Thanks for the replies.

            Ok so my rig cannot be used with Fldigi.

            But it seems I can still use Fldigi with my rig on receive only if I
            connect the line in port on my laptop to the headphone jack.

            Is that the proper way to interface my rig to Fldigi for CW receive or
            am I missing something?

            Thanks...Tom/KB2ESE

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007
              tabazia wrote:
              > Ed & Larry,
              >
              > Thanks for the replies.
              >
              > Ok so my rig cannot be used with Fldigi.
              >
              > But it seems I can still use Fldigi with my rig on receive only if I
              > connect the line in port on my laptop to the headphone jack.

              since no one else replied, yes you are correct. Where the TX will be is
              anyones guess....

              Ed W3NR
            • Steve Friis
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007
                Ed wrote:
                > tabazia wrote:
                >
                >> Ed & Larry,
                >>
                >> Thanks for the replies.
                >>
                >> Ok so my rig cannot be used with Fldigi.
                >>
                >> But it seems I can still use Fldigi with my rig on receive only if I
                >> connect the line in port on my laptop to the headphone jack.
                >>

                > since no one else replied, yes you are correct. Where the TX will be is
                > anyones guess....
                >
                > Ed W3NR

                Well, not so fast. If the receiver has the ability to monitor off the
                air transmissions, then he could monitor his own signal as well as use
                fldigi to zero beat. Sort of like zero beating with the old Collins,
                Drake or Kenwood twins.

                Steve/WM5Z