Re: [linuxham] [OT] backup/recovery for desktop?

  • Merv Curley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2007
      On Tuesday 21 August 2007 11:26, Ken N9VV wrote:
      > What linux backup/recovery program or utility do you use?
      >
      > I have Acronis tools on my Winblows desktop. They are really
      > excellent, but their Linux solution is $699 <LOL>
      >
      > I would like to find a product or utility that includes bootable
      > backup media (DVD?) so I can recover from a catastrophic hard disk
      > outage.

      One thing to consider is to have a second drive the same size and keep
      an exact copy of drive A on it. Then you can just swap drives in case
      of a major problem. The drive could be on another computer on your
      LAN or in a usb case if that seems safer.

      There are a number of ways of doing what you want, maybe software
      RAID? But really, don't you just need to have a copy of your /home
      directory and maybe a few config files? Unison can do that for you,
      as well as rsync etc.

      --
      Merv Curley Ve3DAC
      Toronto, Ont.Can