Re: [linuxham] Copying Files

  • Marty Hartwell
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi Joel

      If this is a linux version then you need to copy the file
      into $HOME/.fldigi /logs the folder is hidden and starts with
      a . in front of the name.

      Marty kd8bj

      On 04/01/2012 12:33 PM, Joel wrote:
      > I have copied my logbook, macros, and palette file off my NTFS drive
      > into my Downloads directory. I am now trying to copy these three files
      > to the .fldigi directory but I cannot figure this out. Here's the
      > command I'm using from inside the "Downloads" directory:
      >
      > sudo cp logbook.adi /fldigi/logs
      >
      > I have also tried the following:
      >
      > sudo cp logbook.adi ./fldigi/logs
      > sudo cp logbook.adi /joel/fldigi/logs
      > sudo cp logbook.adi /fldigi/logs/
      >
      > I get this message:
      >
      > cp: cannot create regular file '/fldigi/logs': No such file or directory
      >
      > I understand what it is saying, but I can plainly see the directory
      > there and I know the file exists.
      >
      > I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out what. Sorry y'all are
      > having to hold my hand so much with this.
      >
      > I finally just copied it using the file manager, but I am not afraid of
      > the terminal either.
      >
      > 73,
      > Joel - W4JBB

    • Creede Lambard
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
        Yes, but make sure you don't put a space in front of /logs or your
        computer will look at you funny and not copy the files. :-)

        $HOME/.fldigi/logs

        --Creede

        On 04/01/2012 03:10 PM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
        > Hi Joel
        >
        > If this is a linux version then you need to copy the file
        > into $HOME/.fldigi /logs the folder is hidden and starts with
        > a . in front of the name.
        >
        > Marty kd8bj
        >
        > On 04/01/2012 12:33 PM, Joel wrote:
        >> I have copied my logbook, macros, and palette file off my NTFS drive
        >> into my Downloads directory. I am now trying to copy these three files
        >> to the .fldigi directory but I cannot figure this out. Here's the
        >> command I'm using from inside the "Downloads" directory:
        >>
        >> sudo cp logbook.adi /fldigi/logs
        >>
        >> I have also tried the following:
        >>
        >> sudo cp logbook.adi ./fldigi/logs
        >> sudo cp logbook.adi /joel/fldigi/logs
        >> sudo cp logbook.adi /fldigi/logs/
        >>
        >> I get this message:
        >>
        >> cp: cannot create regular file '/fldigi/logs': No such file or directory
        >>
        >> I understand what it is saying, but I can plainly see the directory
        >> there and I know the file exists.
        >>
        >> I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out what. Sorry y'all are
        >> having to hold my hand so much with this.
        >>
        >> I finally just copied it using the file manager, but I am not afraid of
        >> the terminal either.
        >>
        >> 73,
        >> Joel - W4JBB

      • Marty Hartwell
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hi

          Quite right on the space fat finger strikes again, I see that
          a lot and have to retype things a lot.

          Marty kd8bj