Re: [linuxham] Help - fldigi + K3 + Navigator

  • Jim Rogers
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
    John,

    Sounds like my station. I am using a MacBook Pro, fldigi and flrig,

    First tell me if you have installed the FTDI drivers for your mac.

    If not, well here are the drivers for Lion in a neat package that will take you through the installation.

    This should set up six USB/Serial ports on your Mac.

    Once this is all done, the rest is easy. I will be glad to help and if you need to talk via landline, just let me know.

    Also Clint, KK7UQ is ready and willing at the Navigator help line also.

    73s Jim
    W4ATK
    w4atk@...
  • Dave Wright
    Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
      John,

      Several of us have this setup….Mac + K3 + Fldigi + Navigator…..I'm sure Jim, Clint or I can help you get setup.

      I know that Jim uses Flrig for control, while I simply prefer Fldigi. Either way is good, so it is a matter of choice for you.  Since I spend about 90% of my time in the digital modes, I simply use Fldigi for most everything.

      Here are some things to consider:  (all done from memory as my rig and navigator are all packed up for an impending move)

      1) Make sure you've installed the drivers that Jim sent you.

      2) Make sure MLDX and Cocoamodem are NOT running when you start Fldigi.  In OS X, you can't share ports, so the first program started will take control of the rig.

      3) In my case, since I only use Fldigi, I use the rigCAT controls for CAT.  So, you need to download the XML definition file for the K3.  It can be found here: K3.xml.  This needs to be placed in the Fldigi config folders (open Fldigi, go to File then show the Fldigi Config folders)….it goes in the "Rigs" folder.

      4) Open the Configuration menu.  Go to the "Rig" tab, then to "RigCAT".  Put a check mark next to "Use RigCAT". Below that where it says "Rig Description File", click the open button and navigate to the K3.XML file you placed in the Rigs folder.   Under Device, you need to choose the device that ends in "CAT"….unfortunately, I have my navigator packed away for an impending move this weekend, so I can't recall the complete device name, but it does end in CAT.  Set the Baud rate to match what the K3 is set for (usually 38,400). Click the initialize button and you should be connected.   If not, you may need to increase the "retry interval" and/or "command interfacial" a bit.

      5) If it doesn't connect, you need to go through the Hardware PTT, Hamlib PTT and XML-RPC tabs and make sure nothing is checked there.  Fldigi can only handle one CAT/Rig Control method, so multiple check marks can cause problems.

      If you want to use Fldigi + Flrig, then Jim, can offer some good advice there.  That combo is nice as it offers access to more of the K3 functions without having to go to the rig.  Setup is a bit different, but not significantly.

      Dave Wright
      K3DCW

      "Real radio bounces off the sky"

      On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Jim Rogers wrote:

      John,

      Sounds like my station. I am using a MacBook Pro, fldigi and flrig,

      First tell me if you have installed the FTDI drivers for your mac.

      If not, well here are the drivers for Lion in a neat package that will take you through the installation.

      This should set up six USB/Serial ports on your Mac.

      Once this is all done, the rest is easy. I will be glad to help and if you need to talk via landline, just let me know.

      Also Clint, KK7UQ is ready and willing at the Navigator help line also.

      73s Jim
      W4ATK
      w4atk@...

      On Mar 28, 2012, at 8:36 AM, WB9JPH wrote:

      I must be slow.

      Been using a Macintosh with MLDX and cocaModem & a uHam USB digikeyer for a few years.

      Decided to try the Navigator and FLdigi.

      Got the Navigator working just fine with MLDX and cocoaModem, but no luck getting fldigi and flrig to work with the Mac + K3.

      Any hints appreciated.

      73
      John

      TODAY(Beta) Powered by Yahoo!

      Caterer's first gig takes unfortunate turn
      Jess recovers from a wardrobe malfunction, but what she pulls from the oven is harder to fix.

      Attachments:
      - NavigatorSerialDriver16LION.pkg

    • Dick Kriss
      Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012

        On Mar 28, 2012, at 8:58 PM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Help - fldigi + K3 + Navigator

        Posted by: "WB9JPH" wb9jph@...   japalese

        Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 am (PDT)

        I must be slow.

        Been using a Macintosh with MLDX and cocaModem & a uHam USB digikeyer for a few years.

        Decided to try the Navigator and FLdigi.

        Got the Navigator working just fine with MLDX and cocoaModem, but no luck getting fldigi and flrig to work with the Mac + K3.

        Any hints appreciated.

        73
        John

        John,

        Why don't you just make a simple USB connection and forget the other stuff?

        I use fldigi on an iMac with OS X 10.7.3 connected via a single USB cable for both Rig Control and Audio to a Kenwood TS-590.  I use a USB to UART Bridge VCP Drive from

        Sorry, I cannot help you since I do not use Navigator, MLDX or a USB digikeyer.

        Dick AA5VU