Ubuntu on a Win Xp without partioning

  • w9zo
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
      I just received this from a friend:
      http://wubi-installer.org/

      Wubi is an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will
      bring you into the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to
      install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application. If you heard
      about Linux and Ubuntu, if you wanted to try them but you were afraid,
      this is for you.

      Wubi is Safe
      It does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use
      a different bootloader.

      Wubi is Simple
      Just run the installer, no need to burn a CD.

      Wubi is Discrete
      Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and If you do not like,
      you can simply uninstall it.

      Wubi is Free
      Wubi (like Ubuntu) is free as in beer and as in freedom.

      I have this installed on my Win Xp machine and it works fine.
      You can boot to windows or Linux
    • KU4YP
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007

        Is anyone using fldigi with this rig? will also be usig the program with a k2 as soon as I get off my lazy butt and get it finished. Would like to hear about the connections needed, performance, etc.

        Best 73 mike ku4yp

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
          * KU4YP <ku4yp@...> [2007 Aug 08 09:29 -0500]:

          > Is anyone using fldigi with this rig? will also be usig the program with a k2
          > as soon as I get off my lazy butt and get it finished. Would like to hear about
          > the connections needed, performance, etc.

          I just got an ND last week, but haven't gotten a CAT cable as of yet.
          Perhaps that will be my next purchase.

          73, de Nate >>

          --
          Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
          Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
            Hi Mike,
            I have an 817, and have used it with fldigi. I use the 857 now, but its
            basically the same.

            I use a Rigblaster, but I dont use it to interface the ptt. I hook the
            cat cable directly between the rig and computer, and just use the
            rigblaster for mic audio.

            the line out (or speaker out) of your sound card goes thru the
            rigblaster (you can build up a little thing with a 500 ohm pot in it so
            you can attenuate the sound card audio to the rig) and that goes to the
            mic input. It uses a "computer type" cat 5 connector for the mic. the
            speaker out I connect directly to the computer sound card line in. PTT
            and rig control are all handled thru the CAT cable.

            One thing to note, the wiring diagram for the mic connector in the 817
            manual is incorrect. there are websites out here that have the correct
            pinout if you wish to make the mic cable.

            Mike, kd0ar

            On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 10:21 -0400, KU4YP wrote:

            > Is anyone using fldigi with this rig? will also be usig the program
            > with a k2 as soon as I get off my lazy butt and get it finished. Would
            > like to hear about the connections needed, performance, etc.
            >

            > Best 73 mike ku4yp

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            > 8/7/2007 4:06 PM

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            > 8/7/2007 4:06 PM

          • KU4YP
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
              mike,

              which rig blaster? just wondering.

              > On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 10:21 -0400, KU4YP wrote:
              > >

              > > Is anyone using fldigi with this rig? will also be usig the program
              > > with a k2 as soon as I get off my lazy butt and get it finished.
              > Would
              > > like to hear about the connections needed, performance, etc.
              > >

              > > Best 73 mike ku4yp

              > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              > > 8/7/2007 4:06 PM

              -
              73 de KU4YP "QRP - Get more with less"
              Michael Prevatt Flying Piggie #225
              Fort Meade, Florida

              Dumped Windows in 2006 and not a day too soon.
              Registered Linux User #445039
            • mike
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
                I'm using the little nomic model.