Re: [linuxham] help request: weather fax

  • chris123
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
    On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...> wrote:

    That's a beautiful copy!  You're just on the wrong side of the center frequency.  Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.

    Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.

    You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched sides of the band.

    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

    /ch

    --
    /ch

  • Marty Hartwell
    Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2012
      Hi Chris

      I have been following this topic and your posts through this
      thread. Now that you have got a good copy and picture. I can't
      see how you can tell anything from these pictures. Is there a
      picture or something to show where the highs and lows are in relation
      to your position. The posted picture doesn't give a me a very
      good idea of how it might be used in real life. Do you need to be
      a trained weather man to make use of this information?

      Marty kd8bj

      On 03/03/2012 11:18 PM, chris123 wrote:
      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from chris123 included below]
      >

      > On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...
      > <mailto:n1ea@...>> wrote:
      >
      > __
      >
      > That's a beautiful copy! You're just on the wrong side of the
      > center frequency. Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.
      >
      > Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on
      > the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it
      > comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the
      > signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.
      >
      > You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched
      > sides of the band.
      >
      > Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
      >
      > /ch
      >

      > --
      > /ch

    • chris123
      Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2012
        A bit off topic....so apologies to others.

        There are many good resources on line, just google, "reading
        weatherfax" or "interpreting weather fax"

        A good start

        http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-articles/19238-reading-weather-fax-charts.html

        I would not want to be on the Atlantic today nor in the Azores. They
        are going to get whacked. Rule of thumb, winds always travel from high
        to low and affected by the rotation of the earth and latitude. You
        will need to learn how to read them and understand the basics of
        weather forecasting if this interests you. The nice part is, just look
        up...:)

        Enjoy.

        /ch

        On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
        > Hi Chris
        >
        > I have been following this topic and your posts through this
        > thread. Now that you have got a good copy and picture. I can't
        > see how you can tell anything from these pictures. Is there a
        > picture or something to show where the highs and lows are in relation
        > to your position. The posted picture doesn't give a me a very
        > good idea of how it might be used in real life. Do you need to be
        > a trained weather man to make use of this information?
        >
        > Marty kd8bj
        >
        > On 03/03/2012 11:18 PM, chris123 wrote:
        >> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from chris123 included below]
        >>

        >> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...
        >> <mailto:n1ea@...>> wrote:
        >>
        >>     __
        >>
        >>     That's a beautiful copy!  You're just on the wrong side of the
        >>     center frequency.  Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.
        >>
        >> Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on
        >> the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it
        >> comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the
        >> signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.
        >>
        >> You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched
        >> sides of the band.
        >>
        >> Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
        >>
        >> /ch
        >>

        >> --
        >> /ch

        /ch
      • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
        Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2012
          Fldigi 3.22 will have AFC for weather fax, which might help.

          Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2012
            Even if it doesnt, I have it working pretty good (as in good enough) even on a low signal off the whip antenna. The last thing to sort out is how to detect and set the correct frequency for auto start as this would be really nice to get working. Then the entire thing can be run from a cron scipt or similar rather then manually attended provided of course your vessel is in the same location..:)

            Many thanks to all. This is really sweet to get sorted.

            /ch

          • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
            Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2012
              It is also possible to use the provided script in scripts/fldigi-shell which can call the xml/rpc method for starting to read an image.

              Latest changes here:

              http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/rc

              Cheers

              Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                Thanks for all your hard work on this Remi. When is the next release expected? I suppose I could build it if its a long time out.

                /ch

              • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
                Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                  Main development branch is here:
                  http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=summary

                  Latest changes related to weather fax:
                  http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/rc

                  No idea when the next release will be ready. Yes, you are warmly encouraged to build it yourself if you wish so :):) !

                  Cheers

                  Remi

                  Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Last request...I can get all the dependancies sorted, not an issue. Git is still part voodoo to me however. Doing a git clone and then using the second URL I get a fatal error.

                    Would you be so kind to send me the magical incantations to clone that branch onto my machine. I would be greatly appreciated, and sorry to bother you with this....:)

                    Best and kind regards

                    /ch

                    Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
                    No problem, happy to help.

                    I attached a script which does everything automatically. The comments are in French language but google/translate will do the job if needed. It summarizes the help I already received from fldigi developers.

                    Do not hesitate to ask again.

                    Cheers

                    Remi