Re: [linuxham] help request: weather fax

  • chris123
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks for the response. Comments in line...

    On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...> wrote:

    The transmissions are always in USB and they start with a start tone which should start your fax program.

    The auto start function in fldigi does not seem to work. So did it manually once the tone was heard (source Grundig G5)

    The software then should paint the screen so that a black line is always at the extreme left or right.  This means it is phased correctly.  You should only have one such black line - this means your settings are correct for the fax you are receiving.

    Yup got that, but it seems reversed. White is black and black comes back as white. The fax comes through fine however relatively speaking.

    If you have the black line, then keep on adjusting until you see something.  The black line that you hear as a longer tone every 1.5 seconds is the sync pulse.

    I get it as white....there is not much adjustment available on a portable G5, just a fine tune adjustment which actually is quite good. Any change this is a factor of a stereo cable? I have not been able to source a mono cable locally as no one stocks them anymore.

    If you see it as black then you have the receiver adjusted correctly, otherwise readjust.  Also you should see this black line repeat underneath itself which means you are painting the screen at the right speed.

    Many thanks for the advise. Did find this turtorial on line.....

    http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.22/WEFAX.html

    /ch

  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
    Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
      That's a beautiful copy!  You're just on the wrong side of the center frequency.  Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.  I'm guessing that the frequency that you might see on your digital read out will be 1.9 kHz higher than what you see published as the frequency, but it may not be.  However it will be consistent once you find it.

      8080 was another frequency used for FAX charts.

      NOAA publishes a book on the FAX transmissions world-wide and it is quite good.

      73

      David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA
      SOWP, VWOA, OOTC, FISTS, CW-Ops, CFO, A1-OP, ex-FOC 1271 ARRL-LM
      Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

    • chris123
      Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
        The only station I can catch on the whip is Boston and it has to be a cloudy day. Today was a good day post the storm events so I guess the signal can bounce north to Ontario Canada. The implication is Im stuck with the Boston frequencies, 4235, 6340.5, 9110, and 12750 when I can catch them. Im not a ham, rather just a guy with a portable radio ..:)

        Thanks for the information and explanation. Next time I get a good weather day will give it a try again. Only program that works natively in linux other then hamfax which is no longer maintained.

        Thank you...

        /ch

        --
        /ch

      • Philip Webb
        Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
          Hi Chris,

          I have been using Hamfax for WEFAX.

          Regards

          Philip

          On 04/03/12 06:02, chris123 wrote:

          Greets:

          Have one need for fldigi and that is to collect weather fax on my
          linux box. I had this working a while back to some degree but never
          really well. The signal is really strong today from Boston so spend
          the morning playing with it but not able to capture a good image.

          Was wondering if there is a howto on line somewhere that someone can
          point me to, alternatively if someone would be so kind and take a look
          at the settings, to point out what I am doing wrong. The signal from
          the Grundig is good and strong (today...not aways).

          Best and kind regards

          --
          /ch

        • chris123
          Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2012
          On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...> wrote:

          That's a beautiful copy!  You're just on the wrong side of the center frequency.  Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.

          Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.

          You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched sides of the band.

          Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

          /ch

          --
          /ch

        • Marty Hartwell
          Message 6 of 16 , Mar 4, 2012
            Hi Chris

            I have been following this topic and your posts through this
            thread. Now that you have got a good copy and picture. I can't
            see how you can tell anything from these pictures. Is there a
            picture or something to show where the highs and lows are in relation
            to your position. The posted picture doesn't give a me a very
            good idea of how it might be used in real life. Do you need to be
            a trained weather man to make use of this information?

            Marty kd8bj

            On 03/03/2012 11:18 PM, chris123 wrote:
            > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from chris123 included below]
            >

            > On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...
            > <mailto:n1ea@...>> wrote:
            >
            > __
            >
            > That's a beautiful copy! You're just on the wrong side of the
            > center frequency. Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.
            >
            > Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on
            > the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it
            > comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the
            > signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.
            >
            > You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched
            > sides of the band.
            >
            > Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
            >
            > /ch
            >

            > --
            > /ch

          • chris123
            Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2012
              A bit off topic....so apologies to others.

              There are many good resources on line, just google, "reading
              weatherfax" or "interpreting weather fax"

              A good start

              http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-articles/19238-reading-weather-fax-charts.html

              I would not want to be on the Atlantic today nor in the Azores. They
              are going to get whacked. Rule of thumb, winds always travel from high
              to low and affected by the rotation of the earth and latitude. You
              will need to learn how to read them and understand the basics of
              weather forecasting if this interests you. The nice part is, just look
              up...:)

              Enjoy.

              /ch

              On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
              > Hi Chris
              >
              > I have been following this topic and your posts through this
              > thread. Now that you have got a good copy and picture. I can't
              > see how you can tell anything from these pictures. Is there a
              > picture or something to show where the highs and lows are in relation
              > to your position. The posted picture doesn't give a me a very
              > good idea of how it might be used in real life. Do you need to be
              > a trained weather man to make use of this information?
              >
              > Marty kd8bj
              >
              > On 03/03/2012 11:18 PM, chris123 wrote:
              >> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from chris123 included below]
              >>

              >> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@...
              >> <mailto:n1ea@...>> wrote:
              >>
              >>     __
              >>
              >>     That's a beautiful copy!  You're just on the wrong side of the
              >>     center frequency.  Tune up in frequency until you hear the same tones.
              >>
              >> Yup that did the trick. There is no frequency display for fine tuning on
              >> the G-5 rather a simple manual turn wheel. Starting the fax on 4235 it
              >> comes in reversed, using the fine tune knob, I was able to find the
              >> signal again and this time, voila..Perfect.
              >>
              >> You can see the change at the topic of the graphic where I switched
              >> sides of the band.
              >>
              >> Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
              >>
              >> /ch
              >>

              >> --
              >> /ch

              /ch
            • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
              Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2012
                Fldigi 3.22 will have AFC for weather fax, which might help.

                Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Even if it doesnt, I have it working pretty good (as in good enough) even on a low signal off the whip antenna. The last thing to sort out is how to detect and set the correct frequency for auto start as this would be really nice to get working. Then the entire thing can be run from a cron scipt or similar rather then manually attended provided of course your vessel is in the same location..:)

                  Many thanks to all. This is really sweet to get sorted.

                  /ch

                • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
                  Message 10 of 16 , Mar 6, 2012
                    It is also possible to use the provided script in scripts/fldigi-shell which can call the xml/rpc method for starting to read an image.

                    Latest changes here:

                    http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/rc

                    Cheers

                    Message 11 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                      Thanks for all your hard work on this Remi. When is the next release expected? I suppose I could build it if its a long time out.

                      /ch

                    • rchateauneu@hotmail.com
                      Message 12 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Main development branch is here:
                        http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=summary

                        Latest changes related to weather fax:
                        http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fldigi;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/rc

                        No idea when the next release will be ready. Yes, you are warmly encouraged to build it yourself if you wish so :):) !

                        Cheers

                        Remi

                        Message 13 of 16 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Last request...I can get all the dependancies sorted, not an issue. Git is still part voodoo to me however. Doing a git clone and then using the second URL I get a fatal error.

                          Would you be so kind to send me the magical incantations to clone that branch onto my machine. I would be greatly appreciated, and sorry to bother you with this....:)

                          Best and kind regards

                          /ch

                          Message 14 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
                          No problem, happy to help.

                          I attached a script which does everything automatically. The comments are in French language but google/translate will do the job if needed. It summarizes the help I already received from fldigi developers.

                          Do not hesitate to ask again.

                          Cheers

                          Remi