Re: [linuxham] SPAM

  • Curt Givens
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1 1:58 PM
      On this end I have this and two other groups that have occasional message end up in either my spam folder or my in folder instead of where the filter is supposed to put them. Odd thing is there will also be new messages in the correct folders at the same time. Ain't technology wonderful?

      73

      de Curt KC8STE  Dayton, OH
      Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1 2:55 PM
        On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:33:40 +0100
        Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:

        > Op 01-03-12 22:25, Ed schreef:
        > > I can tell you for certain they don't like Doc KD4E at all. Don't
        > > know why. As well as Marc.
        >

        > Yes, my signature contains some tk websites, and they don't like
        > them ...
        >
        > Marc

        And this one Yahoo didn'i complain...go figger

        Ed
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1 2:57 PM
          On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:55:06 -0500
          "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

          > It may be because even after I removed the complete
          > URL's from my sig I added the Yahoo one.
          >
          > How does this behave with the http, etc removed from
          > the Yahoo URL?
          >
          > > I can tell you for certain they don't like Doc KD4E at all. Don't
          > > know why. As well as Marc.
          > >
          > > Be different but this is a pretty quiet list and Skip NT1G does an
          > > excellent job of keeping spam bots off the list.
          > >
          > > Ed W3NR
          > >
          > > linuxham moderator

          Well Yahoo didn't barf on this one either.

          Ed
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1 2:59 PM
            On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:58:16 -0800 (PST)
            Curt Givens <giveadurn@...> wrote:

            > On this end I have this and two other groups that have occasional
            > message end up in either my spam folder or my in folder instead of
            > where the filter is supposed to put them. Odd thing is there will
            > also be new messages in the correct folders at the same time. Ain't
            > technology wonderful?
            >
            > 73
            >

            > de Curt KC8STE  Dayton, OH
            > Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club
            >

            > ________________________________

            Hate to tell you....Yahoo marked it as spam.

            Ed
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1 3:00 PM
              On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:58:16 -0800 (PST)
              Curt Givens <giveadurn@...> wrote:

              > On this end I have this and two other groups that have occasional
              > message end up in either my spam folder or my in folder instead of
              > where the filter is supposed to put them. Odd thing is there will
              > also be new messages in the correct folders at the same time. Ain't
              > technology wonderful?
              >
              > 73
              >

              > de Curt KC8STE  Dayton, OH
              > Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club

              BTW Curt uses yahoo to post to linuxham.

              Ed
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1 3:04 PM
                On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:25:53 -0500
                Ed <autek@...> wrote:

                > And no not the one you have with eggs and fried taters.
                >
                > Seems as though Yahoo has for one reason or the other, been marking
                > quite a bit of linuxham mail as spam.
                >
                > If you do not see your post in a reasonable amount of time, drop me a
                > note (off list) to autek@...
                >
                > I can tell you for certain they don't like Doc KD4E at all. Don't know
                > why. As well as Marc.
                >
                > Be different but this is a pretty quiet list and Skip NT1G does an
                > excellent job of keeping spam bots off the list.
                >
                > Ed W3NR
                >
                > linuxham moderator

                Hate to reply to my own post....but these are the headers I see when I
                try to figure out why yahoo says its spam.

                DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1330637156; bh=rN0nED+SiYNGcHf/FemHTKrye3QP375brqX4urJaNEI=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=DMh3YC6BvrSFdBC4MPwZnCI06WJvt+EtpjKiVSMbio/sHfkqpXVC7vzkoaIvksem0W81R69Yto9C4ulEUPUE6/uBBLe7Yp6zr4CziYQMwhtSOmGsQZ7q7sj+Zdye1+5G
                To: Linuxham <linuxham@yahoogroups.com>
                From: Ed <autek@...>
                Sender: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:25:53 -0500
                  Yahoo apparently doesn't like the http, etc preface with a
                  URL -- even to one of their own sites!

                  They've always had weird troubles at Yahoo, not as bad as
                  AOL, but still weird ...

                  --

                  Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                  David Colburn nevils-station.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1 4:14 PM
                    On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:56:02 -0500
                    "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

                    > Yahoo apparently doesn't like the http, etc preface with a
                    > URL -- even to one of their own sites!
                    >
                    > They've always had weird troubles at Yahoo, not as bad as
                    > AOL, but still weird ...
                    >
                    > > > How does this behave with the http, etc removed from
                    > > > the Yahoo URL?
                    > >
                    > > Well Yahoo didn't barf on this one either.
                    > >
                    > > Ed

                    You may be safe from the yahoo spam bot.

                    Ed
                  • Paul Bramscher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1 7:55 PM
                      I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and installed its fldigi package
                      via Synaptic a couple months. I went through various efforts to
                      configure it with my Kenwood TS-590S, and it's been working fine.

                      But I made a recent PSK31 QSO with W1HKJ and realized that my version is
                      rather old. I see that we should untar the newer versions into
                      /usr/local, but that it creates various other subdirectories
                      (applications, pixmaps, man, etc.).

                      I untar'd the newest version and manually moved files into various
                      places and it seems to check out fine (on my workstation at work,
                      anyway). But I've got a couple general questions before I do this at home:

                      1. Is is safe to continue running the official Ubuntu 10.04 fldigi
                      alongside the newest one? I did note that my configuration appeared to
                      translate over.

                      2. Should I instead just dump everything into /usr/local and not worry
                      about moving stuff around into man, pixmaps, applications, etc?

                      One more note -- I've noted that some Ubuntu projects make their own
                      special sources repository that can be added to the base repositories
                      (sources.lst or somesuch), so that people pull down the newer version
                      whenever they do an apt-get update, etc.

                      Thanks for any tips,

                      Paul Bramscher
                      KD0KZE
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1 8:03 PM
                        On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:55:09 -0600
                        Paul Bramscher <pfbram@...> wrote:

                        > I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and installed its fldigi
                        > package via Synaptic a couple months. I went through various efforts
                        > to configure it with my Kenwood TS-590S, and it's been working fine.
                        >
                        > But I made a recent PSK31 QSO with W1HKJ and realized that my version
                        > is rather old. I see that we should untar the newer versions into
                        > /usr/local, but that it creates various other subdirectories
                        > (applications, pixmaps, man, etc.).
                        >
                        > I untar'd the newest version and manually moved files into various
                        > places and it seems to check out fine (on my workstation at work,
                        > anyway). But I've got a couple general questions before I do this at
                        > home:
                        >
                        > 1. Is is safe to continue running the official Ubuntu 10.04 fldigi
                        > alongside the newest one? I did note that my configuration appeared
                        > to translate over.
                        >
                        > 2. Should I instead just dump everything into /usr/local and not worry
                        > about moving stuff around into man, pixmaps, applications, etc?
                        >
                        > One more note -- I've noted that some Ubuntu projects make their own
                        > special sources repository that can be added to the base repositories
                        > (sources.lst or somesuch), so that people pull down the newer version
                        > whenever they do an apt-get update, etc.
                        >
                        > Thanks for any tips,
                        >
                        > Paul Bramscher
                        > KD0KZE

                        You need to do the following ::

                        http://www.w1hkj.com/LaunchpadInstall.html

                        This will keep your fldigi current. The newer version overwrites the
                        old, except for the config file /.fldigi.

                        One word of warning, if you are not sure if what you are doing is
                        correct, stop and ask.

                        You might also want to browse around ::

                        w1hkj.com

                        Ed W3NR
                      • Paul Bramscher
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3 8:32 PM
                          Thanks -- I went ahead and did this with my Linux 10.04 PC just now. It
                          brought down a newer version. One difference I noted from the fldigi
                          that originally shipped with 10.04 is that the PSK Browser window has
                          been renamed "Signal Browser".

                          Of course (wouldn't you know it) I'm not able to pick up any PSK31
                          traffic right now. I may be mistaken, but I thought the PSK Browser had
                          two columns -- a sort of "channelized" freq. in the first column, and
                          the scrolling content (if any) in the second. I no longer see freqs in
                          the first column -- whole thing is blank. Do the frequencies get
                          populated if there's radio traffic? This feature was useful in the
                          past, since it would be possible to click onto various conversations.
                          Or am I missing a config. somewhere?

                          Thank you,

                          Paul Bramscher
                          KD0KZE
                          Circle Pines, MN, USA

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4 1:40 AM
                            The answer to your question is here Paul:
                            http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/ConfigUI-browser.html

                            So much has changed from the 3.10 version that you were running that I
                            would advise reading all of the on-line help pages.

                            73, Dave, W1HKJ

                            On 03/03/2012 10:32 PM, Paul Bramscher wrote:
                            > Thanks -- I went ahead and did this with my Linux 10.04 PC just now. It
                            > brought down a newer version. One difference I noted from the fldigi
                            > that originally shipped with 10.04 is that the PSK Browser window has
                            > been renamed "Signal Browser".
                            >
                            > Of course (wouldn't you know it) I'm not able to pick up any PSK31
                            > traffic right now. I may be mistaken, but I thought the PSK Browser had
                            > two columns -- a sort of "channelized" freq. in the first column, and
                            > the scrolling content (if any) in the second. I no longer see freqs in
                            > the first column -- whole thing is blank. Do the frequencies get
                            > populated if there's radio traffic? This feature was useful in the
                            > past, since it would be possible to click onto various conversations.
                            > Or am I missing a config. somewhere?
                            >
                            > Thank you,
                            >
                            > Paul Bramscher
                            > KD0KZE
                            > Circle Pines, MN, USA
                          • Paul Bramscher
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 4 8:33 AM
                              Dave,

                              Thank you, I'll read the docs beginning-to-end since I do see quite a
                              number of new things. I appreciate all the development on this technology.

                              I got fldigi reconfigured fine this morning. If I recall, stop-bits may
                              have been set at 2 with the newer version -- I set them back to 1. Baud
                              rate was set at 57K, I set it back up to 115200. Also clicked "reverse
                              left/right channels" to get it properly working with my Kenwood TS-590S.
                              All appears well now. I'm documenting my tweaks, so it'll be a snap
                              next time.

                              73's
                              KD0KZE, Paul