Re: [linuxham] Re: Remote Access ??s

  • Brian Morrison
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
      On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
      Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

      > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
      > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
      > everyone's help.

      But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
      secure your machine using firewall and ssh.

      --

      Brian Morrison

      Oscar Wilde
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
        I had him check the firewall and SSH and it was good. I removed all the unwanted virtual servers that were on the router. I secured the system using WPA2 protocol. He said it should be good to go. The firewall is set to allow devices out but not in. Other than we are set.
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
        > Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
        > > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
        > > everyone's help.
        >
        > But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
        > secure your machine using firewall and ssh.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Brian Morrison
        >
        > "I am not young enough to know everything"
        > Oscar Wilde

      • VA7OTC JD Erskine
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
          On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
          > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
          > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
          > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
          > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
          > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
          >
          > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
          > forwarding in the router.
          >
          > All this should be described in the router instructions.

          Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
          and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
          router.

          ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

          73, John
          VA7OTC
        • Richard Dowty
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
            There one other thing I do when the computer sets on my desk resting. I click on the network icon (on your screen top right desktop) and turn off the internet connection when not in use on the internet. This will help also and it keeps the computer from chirping on the internet and flagging saying, "here I am".
            Rich/W7EET

            On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
            > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
            > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
            > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
            > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
            > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
            >
            > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
            > forwarding in the router.
            >
            > All this should be described in the router instructions.

            Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
            and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
            router.

            ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

            73, John
            VA7OTC

          • yrjo_1
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 3, 2012
              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them from getting into my machine?
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Dave KB9MNM

              I have used firestarter in Ubuntu as firewall program. It is easy to use and configure.
              Yrjö OH2GUF