Re: [linuxham] Re: Remote Access ??s

  • Dave Wright
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
      Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for everyone's help.

      Now, one other question:

      How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?

      Thanks,
      Dave

      On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:

      Op 01-03-12 21:45, Woodchuck schreef:

      > Uninstall it and run the standard utility, "w", that is already
      > installed. Just type "w" to the command line. man w.

      w will only give who is on the computer you're on ...

      Marc

      http://shortwave.tk
      700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
      300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

      --
      David Wright KB9MNM
      Public Information Officer

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
        On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
        Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

        > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was
        > set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password.
        > Thanks for everyone's help.
        >
        > Now, one other question:
        >
        > How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

        Right click on the desktop and choose Create Launcher.

        Ed W3NR
      • Brian Morrison
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
          On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
          Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

          > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
          > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
          > everyone's help.

          But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
          secure your machine using firewall and ssh.

          --

          Brian Morrison

          Oscar Wilde
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
            I had him check the firewall and SSH and it was good. I removed all the unwanted virtual servers that were on the router. I secured the system using WPA2 protocol. He said it should be good to go. The firewall is set to allow devices out but not in. Other than we are set.
            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
            > Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
            > > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
            > > everyone's help.
            >
            > But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
            > secure your machine using firewall and ssh.
            >
            > --
            >
            > Brian Morrison
            >
            > "I am not young enough to know everything"
            > Oscar Wilde

          • VA7OTC JD Erskine
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
              On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
              > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
              > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
              > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
              > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
              > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
              >
              > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
              > forwarding in the router.
              >
              > All this should be described in the router instructions.

              Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
              and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
              router.

              ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

              73, John
              VA7OTC
            • Richard Dowty
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
                There one other thing I do when the computer sets on my desk resting. I click on the network icon (on your screen top right desktop) and turn off the internet connection when not in use on the internet. This will help also and it keeps the computer from chirping on the internet and flagging saying, "here I am".
                Rich/W7EET

                On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
                > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
                > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
                > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                >
                > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                > forwarding in the router.
                >
                > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
                and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
                router.

                ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

                73, John
                VA7OTC

              • yrjo_1
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 3, 2012
                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them from getting into my machine?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  >
                  > Dave KB9MNM

                  I have used firestarter in Ubuntu as firewall program. It is easy to use and configure.
                  Yrjö OH2GUF