Re: [linuxham] Re: Remote Access ??s

  • Marc Coevoet
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
      Op 01-03-12 21:04, qrv@... schreef:
      > In which operating system, Apple/Mac, Linux, or Microsoft does this
      > work, please?
      >
      > > You may get a chance to catch them on your computer by typing the word
      > > finger on the terminal . This command lets you know who is on your
      > computer.
      > > Rich/

      It dates from long back, when

      finger marcc@...

      meant trying to know if marcc was logged in ...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_protocol
      http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ufinger.htm

      After a "good" finger, you could start ..
      chat marcc@...

      Marc

      http://shortwave.tk
      700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
      300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
        On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:17:59 +0100
        Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:

        Please do not CC anyone when posting to linuxham. Yahoo says its spam,
        so I have to go in and approve the message.

        Thanks

        Ed W3NR

        list moderator
      • Woodchuck
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
          On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:12:38PM -0600, Dave Wright wrote:

          > I have Ubuntu and installed Finger on it, and yes, it does give you a list of
          > all who are logged in. From the treminal run:
          >
          > sudo apt-get install finger
          >
          > Should work.
          >
          > Very neat
          >
          > Dave KB9MNM

          Uninstall it and run the standard utility, "w", that is already
          installed. Just type "w" to the command line. man w.

          Dave AB3NR
        • Marc Coevoet
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
            Op 01-03-12 21:45, Woodchuck schreef:

            > Uninstall it and run the standard utility, "w", that is already
            > installed. Just type "w" to the command line. man w.

            w will only give who is on the computer you're on ...

            Marc

            http://shortwave.tk
            700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
            300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
          • Dave Wright
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
              Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for everyone's help.

              Now, one other question:

              How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?

              Thanks,
              Dave

              --
              David Wright KB9MNM
              Public Information Officer

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was
                > set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password.
                > Thanks for everyone's help.
                >
                > Now, one other question:
                >
                > How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Dave

                Right click on the desktop and choose Create Launcher.

                Ed W3NR
              • Brian Morrison
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                  On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                  Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
                  > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
                  > everyone's help.

                  But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
                  secure your machine using firewall and ssh.

                  --

                  Brian Morrison

                  Oscar Wilde
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                    I had him check the firewall and SSH and it was good. I removed all the unwanted virtual servers that were on the router. I secured the system using WPA2 protocol. He said it should be good to go. The firewall is set to allow devices out but not in. Other than we are set.
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

                    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                    > Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
                    > > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
                    > > everyone's help.
                    >
                    > But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
                    > secure your machine using firewall and ssh.
                    >
                    > --
                    >
                    > Brian Morrison
                    >
                    > "I am not young enough to know everything"
                    > Oscar Wilde

                  • VA7OTC JD Erskine
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
                      On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
                      > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                      > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                      > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
                      > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
                      > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                      >
                      > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                      > forwarding in the router.
                      >
                      > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                      Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
                      and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
                      router.

                      ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

                      73, John
                      VA7OTC
                    • Richard Dowty
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
                        There one other thing I do when the computer sets on my desk resting. I click on the network icon (on your screen top right desktop) and turn off the internet connection when not in use on the internet. This will help also and it keeps the computer from chirping on the internet and flagging saying, "here I am".
                        Rich/W7EET

                        On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
                        > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                        > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                        > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
                        > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
                        > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                        >
                        > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                        > forwarding in the router.
                        >
                        > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                        Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
                        and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
                        router.

                        ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

                        73, John
                        VA7OTC

                      • yrjo_1
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 3, 2012
                          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them from getting into my machine?
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance,
                          >
                          > Dave KB9MNM

                          I have used firestarter in Ubuntu as firewall program. It is easy to use and configure.
                          Yrjö OH2GUF